FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Biohazard063

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby Biohazard063 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 am

Ok, this thing came up in an RP. The idea sounded like a cool event.
Tried to already do a lot of the work myself but I know it won't work yet and I want some stuff added as well.

Code: Select all

<event name="DISTRESS_Science_station" unique="true">
   <text>You arrive at a small research station. The place seems swarmed with a type of large but docile space creature. A hail comes in from the station asking for help</text>
   <distressBeacon />
   <choice hidden="true">
      <text>Promise to help.</text>
      <event>
         <text>"You no doubt have seen the creatures surrounding the stations. We want one for research preferably alive. Our ships aren't equipped for this." You go over your options.</text>
         <choice hidden="true">
            <text>Chase after one</text>
            <event load="DISTRESS_Science_BORING" />
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="WEAPONS_ION">
            <text>Try and stun one with your Ion weapon</text>
            <event>
               <text>After a few volleys, the ion finally stuns one. You deliver it to the station."I've never seen a weapon like that before! Thanks for your help. Please accept this reward."</text>
               <autoReward level="MED">standard</autoReward>
            </event>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="Engine" lvl="4" max_group="0">
            <text>(Engine) No giant space alien will outrun this ship.</text>
            <event>
               <text>You ram into one and manage to knock it out. Crude, but effective.</text>
               <autoReward level="MED">standard</autoReward>
            </event>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="ION_STUN">
            <!--DLC!-->
            <text>(Ion Stunnner) Easily stun one of the creatures.</text>
            <event>
               <text>You use your ion stunner to quickly stun a creature and deliver it before it wakes up. "What a prestine specimen ! This will help us greatly. Thanks." </text>
               <autoReward level="HIGH">standard</autoReward>
            </event>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="Weapons_Beam">
            <!--DLC!-->
            <text>(Beam weapon) Fire your beam at the creatures</text>
            <event>
               <text>You manage to hit one with a beam and end up killing it. "Well, it's dead but we can still get some research done. Thanks, I guess."</text>
               <autoReward level="LOW">standard</autoReward>
            </event>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="ghost">
            <text>(AI Avatar) "Sir, I believe I can be of assistance here."</text>
            <event>
               <text>The AI Avatar steps out of the airlock and emmits a high pitch scream. One of the creatures starts following the ship and you manage to safely deliver it. The Scientists quickly subdue it and offer you a reward. "A mating call huh? Never thought of using that."</text>
               <autoReward level="HIGH">standard</autoReward>
            </event>
         </choice>
         </choice> -->
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true">
      <text>Leave them alone.</text>
      <event>
         <text>You don't have time for this and prepare to jump.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>

So I don't know how all this works, but standard option would result in a roll for success or failure but would always end up in the fleet advancing. With a success being the same outcome as with improved engines and a failure would be something along the lines of : You decide these things are simply to fast for your ship, by now the rebels will have advanced quite a bit and it's best not to dawdle any longer.

The one with the ion weapon requirement would also advance the fleet, no hull damage

The one with upgraded engines would cause minor hull damage, no fleet advancement.

And I believe those with ion stunner and AI avatar (I believe they are "ghost" in the blueprint department), are fine as is I believe.

Maybe also add an option at the start to rather then help them to attack the station and "save the animals" or something resulting in a fight with a station.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:15 am

Biohazard063 wrote:Ok, this thing came up in an RP. The idea sounded like a cool event.
Tried to already do a lot of the work myself but I know it won't work yet and I want some stuff added as well.
-event-

Maybe add an option for mind control/slugs and force the creature to the station?

Also, maybe have an option to ask what the station plans to do with the creatures? If they say "we're gonna cut them open and see what makes them tick" you could have an event similar to the piracy stuff. She you do something? Do you just leave? How will the crew react?
scorpian3600

Postby scorpian3600 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:26 am

Torchwood202 wrote:Event Idea, Quest, Is actually in lore with cruiser add-on

You arrive at the beacon to find a small rebel ship FTLing away. Just as you are about to FTL away after them, something hits your piloting window. It seems to be a star chart of some sort, showing the location of... Holy crap! You just discovered the Rebel's prototype cruiser! It seems that this ship was a bust and the AI went rouge... so really, it was never a successful prototype. The rebel ship must have dropped this somehow! Space will be a much better place if you put this AI down.

Quest beacon added!

(As arriving at quest beacon)
You FTL into the beacon to have shots fired all around you. You recognize that small rebel ship desperately trying to dodge the shots of a... AI Rebel Cruiser. By the markings and poor craftsmanship, you take note that this is probably the first rebel cruiser. The small rebel ship finally FTL's away, and the AI ship directs its attention towards you!

Continue...

You brace for impact and... you get a transmission instead. It seems the AI ship is contacting you. "Your markings tell me your from the Federation, which I was meant to destroy. Instead, I waste my infinite anti-matter battery days on lowly pirates. You are the first Federation ship I've seen, other than the pictures in my database. They abandoned me, you know, the Rebels. I wasn't...'perfect' in their...'eyes'." You can imagine this ship frowning, saying words that it may not quite understand.

Continue...

"I have a proposition for you.." it says, "I was built to destroy the Federation, but the Rebels never thought I was worth it. Can I... 'fight' you?"

1a. Of course, you were built for it after all!
1b. I can't risk it.

2a. "Excellent" It says. You detect it charging its weapons. (Fight a new, weak Rebel Cruiser)

2b. "Oh... well, good-bye then." It seems to stare into your soul for a bit, and then FTL's away. You can't help but shed a tear. (REWARD: Nothing)

(After getting the AI Rebel Cruiser to low hull points)

The AI contacts you again, flooding your screens with surrender codes. "They were right, I am but a piece of junk floating in space... Please accept my humble surrender."

1. Accept the AI's humble surrender.

(After accepting its surrender)

"I have another proposition. Let me join your...'crew'. I now wish to bring the fight to the rebels." You can almost see determination in the AI's codes. You accept his proposition.

REWARD: AI Core (Augmentation, you can decide what it does!)

how about instead it gives you a fully maxed out ai avatar named prototype

also my events
[vitanite core]
you arrive at an empty beacon just like any other
"power the ft..urgh" your thrown back and hear a loud explosion -3 hull (random breech)
you stand up and say "what happened" a crew member explains a red glowing cylindrical container hit the ship
1.open it
2.im not crazy jettison it
3.dont touch it it might explode
4.(zoltan crewmember)dont touch it its vitanite the rarest metal in all exisitance its increadibly powerful and volitile i can stabilize it with my energy but ill need a conduit (-40 scrap)

1.1[15%] you begin to open it and when the top is turned you pass out your crew closes the lid and jettisons the container
1.2 [35%] you open it and it explodes (-4 hull and a random crewmember dies)
1.3[50%] the inside is filled with glowing hunks of red metal you crew begins to twitch violently "it must be radio........." you and your crew are dead game over (game over)

2.1 it is jettisoned without event

3.1 you wait and nothing happens then all of a sudden it shakes you scream run but its too late all you see is a bright red flash once it subsides the crewmember that was next to it along with part of your hull is missing (lose a random crew member and -4 hull)

4.1[20%] it worked i can upgrade our reactor with this or our shields (continues with 4a.1)
4.2[20%] it worked but ill need more scrap to stabilize it it will kill us all if i dont (- 20 scrap continues with 4a.1)
4.3[40%] you see your zoltan crewmember sucked into the chamber and the metal turns green you use it to upgrade your reactor (+2 reactor lose zoltan crewmember)
4.4[20%] your zoltan crewmember dies his last words were "im sorry" the container explodes (-4 hull lose your zoltan crewmember)

4a.1 you upgrade your reactor by 4 (+4 power)
4a.2 you upgrade your shields (+2 shield bars (one shield unit))
4a.3 (supershield)your zoltan crewmember explains that he can upgrade your supershield with this metal (gain agument called zoltan ubershield (2x the supershield)

thanks for reading :mrgreen:
L'cie

Postby L'cie » Wed May 20, 2015 3:03 am

Here's an idea
When you arrive at the beacon you see the remains of countless ships. There may be useful material here, but whatever attacked these ships might find you.

1) search the area. Something may have survived
2)jump immediately. Anything that can do this should not be provoked (end event)
Blue options
3) long range scanners/upgraded sensors: scan for useful items
4) advanced Medbay: search for survivors
5) lanius crew: have your Lanius Crew pilot

1a) as you recover scrap from one of the wrecks, a massive Lanius ship decloaks, and it immediately opens with a salvo that destroys your engines. There is no running from this fight. (Fight powerful Lanius ship with cloak, 3 hull damage, engines offline, small amount of scrap)
1b) you find a powerful weapon, but as you are installing it a powerful Lanius ship decloaks. It's first salvo destroys your piloting system, fatality wounding your pilot. As the remainder of your crew try to recover the Lanius move in for a second attack. (Fight powerful Lanius ship with cloak, 2 hull damage, piloting offline, random crew member killed, random powerful weapon aquiered)

3) powering up your sensors, you discover that a wrecked zoltan ship still has a working shield system. As you recover and install it, a massive Lanius ship decloaks and fires a salvo. You manage to bring your new shields online, but weapons control has taken minor damage. You prepare to fight the ship. (Zoltan shield acquired, one power bar locked out on weapons, fight powerful lanius ship with cloak)

4) finding strange cryo pods amongst the wrecks you send them to your advanced Medway to awaken their occupants.
As the first one wakes he begs you not to open the others, but it is too late. Three Lanius emerge and attack, damaging your medbay, and a powerful ship decloaks (acquire one random crew member, 3 Lanius intruders onboard, Medbay offline, fight powerful lanius ship with cloak)

5) while searching the wrecks, your Lanius pilot sends the ship hard starboard! Through the porthole you dozens of laser beams graze your shield. A gigantic Lanius ship, undoubtedly the one that caused this destruction,is harvesting the debris, and now turning its attention to you. (Fight powerful Lanius ship)
Last edited by L'cie on Wed May 20, 2015 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 20, 2015 3:29 am

Sounds like good ideas but I like nitpicking people's hopes and dreams for an FTL mod. :lol:

scorpian3600 wrote:also my events
[vitanite core]
you arrive at an empty beacon just like any other
"power the ft..urgh" your thrown back and hear a loud explosion -3 hull (random breech)

Sounds unfair. Unavoidable hull damage. Then again, Black Holes are unavoidable fuel drainers which then could get you into trouble when you have no fuel left.

But still I think only the Rock Mine does that and you should avoid nebulae in a purple sector if you don't want to be hit with possible acid damage.

1.1[15%] you begin to open it and when the top is turned you pass out your crew closes the lid and jettisons the container
1.2 [35%] you open it and it explodes (-4 hull and a random crewmember dies)
1.3[50%] the inside is filled with glowing hunks of red metal you crew begins to twitch violently "it must be radio........." you and your crew are dead game over (game over)

Why would high radiation kill everyone and your ship's crew? Especially if you have medical facilities and Life Support. Perhaps instead it accelerates the Rebel Fleet as you have to wait a bit for the radiation to clear and the crew to recover.

Seriously though, there shouldn't be any one-shot kill events unless they're stupidly obvious. Opening/shooting a big red cylinder is obviously bad but not stupidly obvious because sometimes the big red cylinders have materials you can use at high risk (I played Convoy. There's an event with a big red barrel. Obviously you avoid it but it might be one full of fun if you play it riskily). Surrendering to the Rebels is stupidly obvious because they're the bad guys!

4.1[20%] it worked i can upgrade our reactor with this or our shields (continues with 4a.1)
4.2[20%] it worked but ill need more scrap to stabilize it it will kill us all if i dont (- 20 scrap continues with 4a.1)
4.3[40%] you see your zoltan crewmember sucked into the chamber and the metal turns green you use it to upgrade your reactor (+2 reactor lose zoltan crewmember)
4.4[20%] your zoltan crewmember dies his last words were "im sorry" the container explodes (-4 hull lose your zoltan crewmember)

You lose your Zoltan? I hate blue events that kill your crew. Blue events are supposed to avoid bad things, not create more. My personal least favourite is the quarantine zone in an infected sector. I put gel suits on everyone to avoid losing crew to disease/help out and what happens? Orbital bombardment out of nowhere kills my Rockman! Blue events shouldn't troll you like that.

4a.1 you upgrade your reactor by 4 (+4 power)
4a.2 you upgrade your shields (+2 shield bars (one shield unit))
4a.3 (supershield)your zoltan crewmember explains that he can upgrade your supershield with this metal (gain agument called zoltan ubershield (2x the supershield)

That augment will not work. No such thing exists in the game mechanics. Two Zoltan Shield augments means one gets scrapped as the effects don't stack.

Anyway, time to nitpick the other ideas:

L'cie wrote:1a) as you recover scrap from one of the wrecks, a massive Lanius ship decloaks, and it immediately opens with a salvo that destroys your engines. There is no running from this fight. (Fight powerful Lanius ship with cloak, 3 hull damage, engines offline, small amount of scrap)

Disables or destroys? Because a destroyed Engine can be fixed.

1b) you find a powerful weapon, but as you are installing it a powerful Lanius ship decloaks. It's first salvo destroys your piloting system, fatality wounding your pilot. As the remainder of your crew try to recover the Lanius move in for a second attack. (Fight powerful Lanius ship with cloak, 2 hull damage, piloting offline, random crew member killed, random powerful weapon aquiered)

One-shots your pilot? That must be some powerful gun the Lanius have.

3) powering up your sensors, you discover that a wrecked zoltan ship still has a working shield system. As you recover and install it, a massive Lanius ship decloaks and fires a salvo. You manage to bring your new shields online, but weapons control has taken minor damage. You prepare to fight the ship. (Zoltan shield acquired, one power bar locked out on weapons, fight powerful lanius ship with cloak)

So your sensors find a Zoltan ship with working shield tech, but they can't see a Lanius vessel until it's too late? Especially if it's your powerful Sensors, not your puny Level 1 scanners.

There should be an option for the Subspace Scanner. That thing exists to ruin a Cloaking Device's day.

"You find a Zoltan ship. As you go to salvage the tech..."

(Subspace Scanner)Something is cloaked nearby

"You discover a Lanius ship preparing to fire upon you. You return fire instead and it decloaks."

-Combat options apply-

4) finding strange cryo pods amongst the wrecks you send them to your advanced Medway to awaken their occupants.
As the first one wakes he begs you not to open the others, but it is too late. Three Lanius emerge and attack, and a powerful ship decloaks (acquire one random crew member, 3 Lanius intruders onboard, Medbay offline, fight powerful lanius ship with cloak)

Why is the medbay offline? The resources to open a cryopod shuts it down? Can't I squeeze some extra power out of it? What if I'm using a Clone Bay? Shouldn't be too hard to clone the pod's occupant.
L'cie

Postby L'cie » Wed May 20, 2015 4:22 am

To stylesrj, thanks for the assessment. However, I would like to clear up some things.
1. I imagine this as a flagship or other heavy cruiser, so it would have top of the line guns that could take out systems in one salvo
2. Also, I would have the systems destroyed. Having them offline for the entire fight would be to unfair
3. As for the scanners, while I do plan to have a go at CE, I haven't played it yet so I'm not aware of all the new features such as the sub space scanner. However, it could be possible that the Lanius have some sort of advanced cloak that can't be detected by normal scanners.
4. I should have been clearer on this one, and I will edit the original post to reflect this. The Lanius would have come out of cryo sleep and attacked the crew, destroying the Medbay in the crossfire (once again, destroyed so it can be repaired).
Thanks for bring me up on these problems.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 20, 2015 5:24 am

Just so you know, a blue option should reward you for having the right equipment at the time (again, I really hate that troll event in the quarantine sector that comes out of friggin nowhere!)

It shouldn't create a new/worse/different punishment. So having advanced sensors should mean that cloaked ship can be detected before it does damage (forget finding the Zoltan Shield)
Or having an advanced medbay/clone bay should mean you get new crew you would have otherwise lost (without the hostile intruders who go and blow it up).

Also, a Lanius ship with powerful guns that destroy an entire system in one salvo? I know some events you arrive at force you into an asteroid field because a pirate fired at you with pre-ignited weapons and you dodge into the field to prevent it happening again.
That would work better. It uncloaks and forces you into a hazard zone.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat May 30, 2015 11:53 pm

While some ideas are interesting, I reinforce the idea that blue events shouldn't hurt you. the closest thing to that was a engi-killing virus blue event and engi blue option, which resulted in erradicating your crew-member, fight, but *after* fight, your engi was re-populated and rebuild by the virus itself (giving it many skill specialization). This was interesting and acceptable (albeit some players might find themselves fcked if they die in fight and never realize real award was waiting ;) ), but we shouldn't go further than that with blue events.

/Estel
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 31, 2015 6:24 am

I should mention that the Virus event isn't that hurtful, unless you're flying the Engi B and didn't pick up anyone or create any AI avatars (which I understand. I once got 3 Happy Birthday events consecutively. The avatar generator was right though. I did sell the damned thing after the 3rd failed attempt. See I wouldn't have done that if you obeyed my request. Artificial Intelligence? Bah!)
MedicShy

Postby MedicShy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Event 1:

You arrive at the beacon as a weakened Zoltan ship hails you... "We are in need of assistance, would you kindly send anyone to help with repairs?" the Zoltan captain says.

1a. Fire at the ship, they're weak and they're probably pirates.
1b. (Send Human Crew Member)
1c. (Blue Option) (Send Engi Crew Member)
1d. (Blue Option) (Send Rock Crew Member)

2a. You shoot the ship, "What are you doing?!" the Zoltan says, "Power up the Shields!" (Initiates Combat) (The ship is weak, it only has 5 Hull Points, it will immediately start powering it's FTL drive)
2b. "They're good enough," About an hour passes and you finally get another answer, "Thank you for your assistance." They give you a moderate cache of Scrap and warp away. (REWARD: Moderate Scrap, Federation Fleet Doubled For 1 Jump) (Federation Doubled is because of time passage)
2c. "Just what we needed!" About 10 minutes pass and your Engi crew member returns safely, "Thank you for your assistance and fast service." They manage to spare a good amount of Scrap and a Weapon for your ship. (REWARD: Large Scrap Reward, 1x Random Weapon)
2d. "You idiot! Letting IT on our ship!" About 5 minutes pass and you are finally informed of the tragic event,"Your Rockman seemed to have a nice time visiting our airlock." your Rockman crew member is probably floating in space now, no hope to save him. (REWARD: Lose Rock Crew Member)

Event 2:

A pirate-controlled Federation ship hails you, "We demand the surrender of your goods, order of the Federation." The captain and his crew seem to be attempting trickery, you notice their Shields System is offline, and it seems you can get a clear shot on the ship.

1a. Say that you're with the Federation.
1b. (Blue Option) (Fire on their Weapons System with your Ion weapon)
1c. (Blue Option) (Send over some scrap and attach a bomb to it) (Requires a Breach Bomb)
1d. Surrender some Scrap, you don't want any trouble.

2a. "Just surrender your goods or we'll fire on you!" (Initiates Combat)
2b. "What happened?! Fire the weapons!" the Captain says, immediately after, another crew member states, "The weapons are offline! We need to surrender!" The captain accepts defeat and they surrender some scrap and a few other goodies. (REWARD: Small Scrap Reward, 1x Random Weapon, 1x Random Drone)
2c. The scrap is sent and the bomb detonates, a hole in the ship is created and the ship fully vents out, killing everyone inside, you decide to salvage the ship. (REWARD: Low Scrap Reward, 1x Random Missile Weapon)
2d. "You better give us the scrap." They warp away before you can do anything else. (REWARD: Lose Low Scrap)
MOD EDIT: Please keep signatures to 750x150 or smaller.