[Tool] ftldat r7

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
FreefallGeek

Re: [Modding] Packing and unpacking data.dat and resource.da

Postby FreefallGeek » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:15 am

Weeeeeell shucks. Races, including their "unique attributes" like increased heath or damage may be hardcoded in the client. I wonder why they did that when the event system is so modular...
FreefallGeek

Postby FreefallGeek » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:41 am

names.xml ->
It looks like it's not possible to define race-specific name lists despite the XML indicating it's setup that way. You cannot define a nameList for another race, it will always default to the human lists. I.e. <nameList race="slug"> causes the game to crash. When the gender tag is also defined <nameList race="slug" gender="male"> the game will load but it simply continues to use human names for slugs.
FreefallGeek

Postby FreefallGeek » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:55 am

You can define crew sizes in excess of 9 for a ship and it will display them during the loadout screen but the game will crash when starting a new game. Crew sizes of exactly 9 will display a prompt on game start asking you to dismiss one of your crew members.
Jessen

Postby Jessen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:05 am

Crew size may not be on the 'to change' terms...but...i successfully added the artillery room from the fed ship right onto the crystal cruiser, as well as changed the locations of several rooms around.

now my copy of the crystal cruiser has 4 teleport pads, artillery...and the door control room is where the old teleporters were. and they all work fine.
WarStalkeR

Postby WarStalkeR » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:13 am

Well I finished game not so long ago and started to mod things in FTL (click to enlarge):

After some modding test, what things will work if you mod and what not:
* Amount of power in ship can be only altered by changing <maxPower amount ="60"/> - it's amount of power that ship starts with, basically if you will set it less then 25, the maximum amount you will be able to get is 25 through upgrades.
* You can set any amount of shields through maxPower in shields' settings. I had to change GUI a little in order for shields pictures to be in line.
* If you set maxPower more then 8 in engine settings, next level of engines will just have same effect as level 1 engines.
*Max level of oxygen can be set any, it will produce more and more, with level 8 o2 boost multiplier is 21x.
* Leveling medbay to level more then 3, will have same effect as with engines. Same goes for Teleporter.
* You can increase maximum level of cloaking device, but on level 4 graphics partially available for it and on level 5 no graphics shown at all.
* Weapons and Drones can be set to any maximum level you want.
* All subsystems, when go above level 3 start giving cloaking ability, but without button to activate it :D
* Regarding creation of new weapon - you can put any possible settings to it, that exist in other weapons :)

P.S. bas, thank you for awesome modding tool :)
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:22 am

Jessen wrote:Crew size may not be on the 'to change' terms...but...i successfully added the artillery room from the fed ship right onto the crystal cruiser, as well as changed the locations of several rooms around.

now my copy of the crystal cruiser has 4 teleport pads, artillery...and the door control room is where the old teleporters were. and they all work fine.

Congratulations! Ship layouts are indeed very modular. I think someone's doing a ship editor project as well. That would hopefully make things like outlines and door positions more approachable. ;)
You can post images in signature?
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:27 am

WarStalkeR wrote:After some modding test, what things will work if you mod and what not:
* Amount of power in ship can be only altered by changing <maxPower amount ="60"/> - it's amount of power that ship starts with, basically if you will set it less then 25, the maximum amount you will be able to get is 25 through upgrades.

Note that enemy power is dependent on your power bars - or at least changing your ship's maxpower more than its limit will screw with the ship generating system. So if you start with a ship with only changed maxpower, you might encounter a much, much harder game.

Other things are spot on. Man, I did most of those things with only UltraEdit and has to maintain the same file length as a result. Those two "ARTILLERY_WEAPON" are like a godsend. :lol:
fanatictentacle

Postby fanatictentacle » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:42 am

WarStalkeR wrote:* Regarding creation of new weapon - you can put any possible settings to it, that exist in other weapons :))

Have you found any other way to get new weapons, than giving it to your ship right from the start? Modding / adding weapons has huge possibilitys (like an Ion Beam I created) BUT you can create powerful weapons which should be avaiable later in gameplay not right from the start.
I tried fiddling with the rarity setting, but I havent found one of my weapons in any shop.

Whats a way to NOT unbalance the game with new weapons? I guess that would be the autoblueprints.xml... has anyone tried modding that file yet?
DisposableNinja

Postby DisposableNinja » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:48 am

WarStalkeR wrote:Well I finished game not so long ago and started to mod things in FTL (click to enlarge):

Have you tried going to an asteroid field with it? I've just tried. Though my setup is a bit different, Around 10 asteroids spawn per second and come at me and (if any) my enemy, obliterating us both. Here is a picture:Image

Also, if anyone is wondering, you can disable fleet advancement by adding <modifyPursuit amount="int32"> to any event that is triggered at one point. The int represents the amount of jumps fleet will not advance. I've found that keeping it at -10000 will be sufficient for an entire game.

Also cheers for a great tool bas!
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:04 pm

fanatictentacle wrote:
WarStalkeR wrote:* Regarding creation of new weapon - you can put any possible settings to it, that exist in other weapons :))

Have you found any other way to get new weapons, than giving it to your ship right from the start? Modding / adding weapons has huge possibilitys (like an Ion Beam I created) BUT you can create powerful weapons which should be avaiable later in gameplay not right from the start.
I tried fiddling with the rarity setting, but I havent found one of my weapons in any shop.

So long as the rarity setting is correct they should spawn in shops. I'm pretty sure <bp> and <cost> don't matter that much, but you can change them a bit as well. I've bought a lot of new/unavailable weapons this way.

If you want to make certain weapons "only available in later games", you can make their rarity 0, and manually add their entries in each sector's item rarity list (the Crystal sector is a good example to build on).

<sectorDescription name="ROCK_HOME" minSector="4" unique="true">
The two slug sectors has a minSector value of 3. You can put the weapon only in these 3 sectors to give a "lategame only" feeling.

In ship blueprints there's also a " <minSector>x</minSector>" tag, but it probably can't be used in items. I don't have time to test today, you can have a try.