FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Official posts about the development of the game.
Khrowe

Re: FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Postby Khrowe » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:34 am

Like: other - i managed to unlock everything luckily, but the new option to unlock the ships doesn't make the game any easier or harder so this addition seems good to me! Maybe have it as an on/off option in the menu for those who prefer the classic method.
Usul

Postby Usul » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:00 am

It seems too easy for me. Should be only on normal AND at least two archievements.
YumItsTasty

Postby YumItsTasty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:04 pm

[quote="R4V3-0N"]They already said in like the first post that the crystal will not be unlocked this way, also hints will do nothing, I had a photo copy of the Wikipedia for how to unlock the mantis cruiser thoroughly and needed like 600 run through to get it. =_=[/quote]

If you need 600 runs to unlock the mantis cruiser, I don't even want to know how long it takes you to get the crystal ship ;P

But seriously, the current unlock system is not designed to allow "grinding" for specific ships. You just have to play the game and occasionally you will encounter a new unlock-quest (and probably fail the first time around) and eventually you will get all the ships. I don't see this being a problem unless you don't have any fun playing the actual game without a specific ship unlocked.

The only exception - as mentioned - is the crystal ship since you have to hit a certain order of sectors (and be very lucky) and thus can plan a route to unlock it. Without the wiki page you could probably play the game for years without ever finding the secret sector. But I never got really frustrated with it since its more of a long-term goal and it kept me playing :)
joojoo1975

Postby joojoo1975 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Well just killed the Rebel Flagship for the 6th time and still no other zolton crewmember. I like another way to unlock ships please and thank you

:)
qbxk

Postby qbxk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 am

I think the proposed unlock method is great, and options like that I always find appealing. Sure, make it hard like the quests did, but give me options, i don't have all day.

But, I'd like to add that I would hate to see the "hangar view" of the ships go away. It's not clear in the post how the ui for ship selection would work, and in the current ui i can't see that "unlock path" graphic fitting anywhere.

Sometimes I'll spend time just "hanging out" in the hangar view and deciding what ship i want to use. looking at the layouts, the pros, the cons, the little people crawling all around them. i think it's a really great effect and segue into the game

please don't let the new ui for ship selection take away an easily loaded hangar view for contemplation while considering a ship.
MaxxisBlitz

Postby MaxxisBlitz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:38 am

I think thats a cool Concept. I have all ships and layouts, but my idea would be a challenge that would appeal to each race (IE Mantis cruiser unlock : Board and Take 5 ships in one game session.) I dont know if its something doable, but with my experience this was painful to unlock all ships.
Provost Marshal

Postby Provost Marshal » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:30 pm

[quote="snave"]What I would however love to see would be an unlockable set of toggles to modify the sector generation rules to remove the element of luck for players who have already progressed a fair way in the game. So say, beat the game with Ship X you unlock the option at game start to "Flee via the Zoltan Homeworlds" which simply ensures the Zoltan ship is potentially unlockable in your next playthrough (ie: Zoltan Homeworlds are a guarenteed sector somewhere on the map), should you play well and take the correct paths. This would be particularly handy for unlocking the secret ship as it'd take the luck element out for those that have beaten the game with every other ship, but wouldn't otherwise spoil the quest.[/quote]

Very much this. I wouldn't mind if the quests themselves were harder or you had to do something (say "kill the flagship with all ships you have"/"have all variants unlocked on ships you have" although that would mean that I'd have actively avoided unlocking most ships so...) to unlock the options, but I'd really like to be able to actively hunt the ship I want.

In general I do not like keeping big stuff behind rng. Nothing more annoying then having to run the game in a very specific way in the hopes of getting that effin mantis to show up.
Hwer3

Postby Hwer3 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:00 am

I think this should be a option, so that you can choose whether or not to use this method of unlocking, because I really liked unlocking the ship's by going through the mini story.
lordlaxton

Lanius ship unlock difficulty

Postby lordlaxton » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:17 am

On this scale of ship unlock difficulty
Engi, Rock, Federation, Mantis, Crystal (Engi being very easy and Crystal being insane)

How hard will it be to unlock the lanius cruiser?
If you can tell us
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:08 am

[quote="Kleckas"]I think possibility to unlock ship just by winning game with previous one takes out most of the fun of 1/3 of the game. That is because while it may be hard (I never felt frustrating trying unlock the ships accept the crystal one) to start the quest and having eveything that is needed, once you got it, you (or at least I did) feel to have achieved something special.
(...)[/quote]

This!