Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Starwars1998

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.4 (2013-09-20)

Postby Starwars1998 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:12 am

oh srry thanks for the help jep
callo1812

Postby callo1812 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:34 pm

jep wrote:
Starwars1998 wrote:
jep wrote:See the first post in this thread. Right under "Troubleshooting".

I read the readme_for_windows.txt and it said nothing about this error. tried deleting the resource.dat.bak and data.dat.bak but it just took a few more seconds to get the error

I am using windows 7 if that effects anything

Did you go to the first post in this thread and read what I said, though? I think that would fix it for you.

callo1812 wrote:I am getting a error 'java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\FTL\resources\data.dat (Access is denied)'.
Java is also updated to the newest version any help?

Same instructions for you. Both of these are happening because only the administrator has rights to modify files in the program files folder. So follow those instructions and you'll be fine.

Now I have this after running in admin mode 'Patching failed: java.io.EOFException'
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:56 pm

callo1812 wrote:Now I have this after running in admin mode 'Patching failed: java.io.EOFException'

Seems like archives got corrupt somehow. Do the following:

1. Go to SMM/backups, delete data.dat.bak and resource.dat.bak

1. Steam users:
      Steam -> Library -> right-click on FTL -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache
    2. DRM-free version users:
      Reinstall FTL (remember to back up your profile!)
  2. Launch SMM to create new backups
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
callo1812

Postby callo1812 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:22 pm

kartoFlane wrote:
callo1812 wrote:Now I have this after running in admin mode 'Patching failed: java.io.EOFException'

Seems like archives got corrupt somehow. Do the following:

1. Go to SMM/backups, delete data.dat.bak and resource.dat.bak

1. Steam users:
      Steam -> Library -> right-click on FTL -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache
    2. DRM-free version users:
      Reinstall FTL (remember to back up your profile!)
  2. Launch SMM to create new backups

Thank you for your help, it worked and I can play my moded FTL.
saber0091

Postby saber0091 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:00 am

First SMM install on a completely clean Steam FTL install - never modded before.
Ubuntu Linux 12.04 with default Steam Library directory.

I run modman.command, a Terminal window launches... nothing outputs, nothing happens.
Using OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime.

Any ideas where to go from here?
crosskid1

Postby crosskid1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:37 pm

I'm pretty newish. I don't understand how to change the zipped file mods which I've downloaded. Is it the way I've downloaded it something I haven't done. I've looked everywhere else but I don't find any guides or help ( I'm using SMM) I was hoping someone on here could help.
jep

Postby jep » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Vhati - Make reading zip files the default? More and more I have to think it was a mistake to name them .ftl instead of just .zip.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:03 pm

The readme_modders file is confusing me. Maybe someone can help me figure it out in the XML Sandbox.

From events_rock.xml

Code: Select all

<event name="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE" unique="true">
   <text>The burnt out hull of a Rock mine layer drifts by. Behind the wreck drifts a live mine; an automated drone that drills into ships' hulls before exploding. It locks onto your ship's signature and heads your way!</text>
   <choice hidden="true">
      <text>Attempt evasive maneuvers.</text>
      <event>
         <text>The ship's turning circle proves too wide and the mine bites down onto the hull. You can hear it now, chewing through the armour.</text>
         <choice hidden="true">
            <text>Send someone out there to defuse it.</text>
            <event load="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE_DEFUSE" />
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="WEAPONS_MISSILES">
            <!--JUSTIN - TO DO - Missile weapons-->
            <text>(Missile Weapon) Attempt a controlled detonation using a missile.</text>
            <event>
               <text>After drawing straws, a crew member goes out to fix a modified warhead to the mine.  You detonate the missile in a way that dislodges the mine. It blows up shortly after. The ship takes some damage in the blasts, but you're still sailing.</text>
               <damage amount="4" />
               <item_modify>
                  <item type="missile" min="-1" max="-1" />
               </item_modify>
               <autoReward level="LOW">scrap_only</autoReward>
            </event>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="COMBAT_BEAM">
            <text>(Beam Drone) Use a drone to cut away the mine with a precision beam.</text>
            <event>
               <text>Carefully guided from the bridge, your beam drone removes the mine's grappling arms and sends it drifting off into space, where you shoot at it until it detonates at a safe distance.</text>
               <item_modify>
                  <item type="drones" min="-1" max="-1" />
               </item_modify>
               <autoReward level="LOW">scrap_only</autoReward>
            </event>
         </choice>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="engines" lvl="5">
      <text>(Improved Engines) Reverse thrusters!</text>
      <event>
         <text>It stresses the inertial dampeners, but you reverse course and outrun the mine. You prepare to jump off.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>

My code

<mod:findName type="event" name="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE">
<mod:findLike type="choice"><mod:findLike type="event">
<mod-append:choice hidden="true" req="TEST APPEND">
   <text>Appended text</text>
      <event>
      <text>Appended text</text>
      </event>
</mod-append:choice>
</mod:findLike></mod:findLike>
</mod:findName>

This ends up getting appended twice and I don't want the second one. I'm not quite sure how to refine the find function. I've tried limit="1" in the <mod:find...> with no effect. I don't understand the <mod:selector> tag, but I feel it might hold the answer I need.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:25 pm

@saber0091
Try reading this, and followup posts. Maybe it's a similar case, for there is no reason for it not to work.

@crosskid1
What do you want to do? If you just want to play modded game, you don't need to change anything -- just download the mod files (the ones with .ftl extension), put them in mods folder in SMM's directory, and you're ready to install them.
If you want to develop mods, then first you need to realize that .ftl files are just renamed zip archives - you can rename them back, and then unpack them, allowing you to look at the mod's "source code". More about it here

@jep
I think it was just a pragmatic approach on Grognak's part, to make it less confusing on regular people, since some (most?) would automatically unpack the .zip, thinking that it contains the mod file proper *shrug*

@RAD-82
An important thing to realize about the find.. commands is that they return all tags that match their conditions. So, since your event has 2 choices in the topmost node, <findLike type="choice"> will match both of them.

I assume you want to add a new choice to the "Attempt evasive maneuvers" event. In this case you're right, the <selector> tag is what you're looking for -- it allows you to specify additional conditions for your find.. command.
Then you could try to match the choice using:

<mod:findLike type="choice">
  <selector hidden="true"/>
</mod:findLike>

However, it in itself won't be specific enough to not match the other choice tag. But we can't get any more specific than that... In such a case, you need to use a different tag in place of <findLike> - namely <findWithChildLike>.
Then you have to combine this tag with the <selector> :

<mod:findWithChildLike type="choice" child-type="text">
  <mod:selector>Attempt evasive maneuvers.</mod:selector> <!-- this has to match the <text> tag's value exactly -->
</mod:findWithChildLike>

This find.. tag looks for <choice> tags that contain a <text> tag with the value specified by the <selector>
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
ColdSuit

Postby ColdSuit » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Now I downloaded this manager, looked a VoV's video, I think I did everything right, but when I clicked on the modman app to run, it did the black code screen like in the video, but then nothing else happened, can someone please tell me what happened and what to do?