Steam Cloud Support?

General discussion about the game.
robolove

Steam Cloud Support?

Postby robolove » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:23 am

Hello... this is fairly self explanatory, and forgive me if it's been asked before, but are there plans to add Steam Cloud support?

The ship unlocks in this game are pretty difficult- it'd be a huge usability boost if the game achievements were linked to my steam achievements. Having save games sync could be tricky business logistically, and I understand it becomes a lot more work to add a save game menu or whatever else you might need, so what about only syncing ship unlocks?

That way we progress regardless of which system we use, and in the dreaded event of a system crash (which I experienced two weeks ago) we wouldn't lose our precious unlocks. Some of this stuff is so chance based that it's great fun to unlock it the first time because of the thrill of getting something new. Re-unlocking my favorite ship I suspect wouldn't generate the same wonderful feeling.

In the meantime I'll be transferring a file back and forth.

Thank you for my game of the year! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I cannot wait to support your next venture- and for the record, I think many of us would be willing to pay again for additional FTL content. I kickstarted at the $10 level and have gotten so much enjoyment out of this game in the last week I feel like I stole it from you!
geldonyetich

Re: Steam Cloud Support?

Postby geldonyetich » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:25 am

I could be mistaken, but I think I read in some past patch message there was some mention of Steam Cloud support. I'm guessing it's not too hard to add to a game once the steam overlay is already working with it.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:10 am

Hey guys. Sorry, we're unable at this time to provide Steam Cloud support. Similarly, official Steam Achievements will also not be included. There are technical issues that we came across when trying to incorporate the Steam API so its functionality cannot be included (other than the overlay). We're pretty disappointed as well and it's something I hope to look into if we ever manage to find free time post release.

Sorry about that!
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
undergroundmonorail

Postby undergroundmonorail » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:10 am

It's possible to use Dropbox and symlinks to sync any folders on two computers. You could, theoretically, use this to sync your FTL data. I can't test it myself (I'm not in the beta), but you should be able to use this guide. Just replace "%appdata%\.minecraft" with "%homepath%\My Documents\My Games" and you should be set.

Make backups, though. Again, I can't test it, this is all theory.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:43 am

There's no reason I could think of that that wouldn't work (using Dropbox). I've never tried it myself. If possible, you could even set it up to share your profile across OS's... the Windows / Mac / Linux data should all be cross-compatible.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Sacarathe

Postby Sacarathe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 am

Perhaps just have the unlocks linked by the cloud, that'd just be a text file with 17-18 lines then :)
goldant

Postby goldant » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Works fine on Windows, I've done this for the past year with my games and Google Drive (so Dropbox would work fine).

Click start click your name in the upper right of the start menu in windows. Then right click on your documents folder, and tell it to relocate to inside your Google Drive / Dropbox folder ;D. Suddenly you have steam cloud for all the games using that. Some games (rare) do use the Saved Games folder so make sure you move that as well.
voji

Postby voji » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Try out synctocloud app ( http://synctocloud.net ). It's supports ftl save game sync to cloud (you can download preconfigured gog or steam ftl sync template).