Steam Achievements (PC version)

General discussion about the game.
Stelly

Re: Steam Achievements (PC version)

Postby Stelly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 am

some of these achievements are just pure brilliance! :)

Stelly
soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:56 am

if i can have a small chuckle every time an achievement pops up on my screen then it has been successful
logicbomb

Postby logicbomb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Achievements are a must these days. Steam Holiday sales show how effective they can be to just sell the game. I know I purchased a few games that I was borderline interested in because Steam was giving out coal for getting a special achievement in that game. Plus they are fun for the players and easy to implement.

Some ideas:
I'm a Doctor not a.... -Let a crew members health get down to 1% before healing them back up.
Navigator! We don't need no stinking navigator. - Win a battle without anyone at the Helm.
Deflect that! - Use only missile's to destroy an enemy ship.
My Beam is bigger! - Use only Beams to destroy an enemy ship.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Justin wrote:
Darthcaboose wrote:Dhese Defense Drones Don't Do D'anything!
Destroy an enemy ship using a defense drone by only using missile weaponry.

Astronomically painful odds
With engine upgrades completely maxed out, fail to evade X shots in a row.

Could have timed that better...
Fire a weapon and have it blocked by one of your defense drones. (Yes, this has happened to me a few times. Argh!)

Cloaking in this game doesn't make sense!!!
Lose X minutes of weapon charging time due to the enemy ship using its cloaking device.

LOL. We haven't got to the point where we're working on achievements, but some of your guy's suggestions are freaking awesome. "Cloaking in this game doesn't make sense!!!" :lol:

Glad you like them! You can really do a lot with achievements, especially those that don't promote "optimal" play. Many a day has been spent playing TF2 in odd ways to get some of the crazier achievements.
Chief

Postby Chief » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:11 pm

Given FTL's art style, I completely support silly achievables. Especially if the achievements can be accomplished by accident. It's much more effective to have a silly achievement pop up when the player didn't mean to do anything special.

@Darthcaboose: I love all of your suggestions.

My suggestions- (I remember hearing that crew members would get better at certain things, so this rolls with that)

Give 'em the broadside!
Fire all four weapons within one second. If this doesn't work, RUN!

Hasta la vista, baby
Defend your ship from intruders with only an anti-personnel bot. Step aside and let the bot do its job.

Business man
Accept X number of pirate bribes, you greedy capitalist.

Medium rare (alt. over easy)
Escape from a red giant system before a solar flare erupts. Warning, this Kestral may contain raw or undercooked crew members.

Well done
Stay in combat over a red giant system for X number of solar flares. You like your Kestrals burnt to a krisp.

He's dead, Jim (alt. That red shirt didn't look good on him anyway)
Lose your lowest level crew member to a never before seen threat, thus showing how dire the situation is. He can probably be replaced anyway.

Attack pattern Delta
Attack an enemy with two attack drones, and beam weapons. This attack pattern is good for any and all situations, never fails or your money back. (not sure if you can equip two attack drones, can't remember)

I can't hear you! Air-what?
Repel enemy boarders via explosive decompression. In space no one can hear you scream, or gasp for air.

What the heck is a hydrospanner?
While having an x level engineer crew member, use, instead, your lowest level crew member for engine repairs. After all, it's not rocket science... wait what?
Onyx:
Case|Thermaltake L10GT=|=GPU|eVGA GeForce GTX680=|=CPU|Intel I5 2400 3.1G=|=PSU|RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R=|=MB|MSI P67A-G45 (B3)=|=SDD|Crucial C300 128 GB (1.25 TB HDD)=|=RAM|Corsair 16 GB DDR3=|=LCS|Black Ice GT 240|EK-FC680|Koolance RP-1005BK
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Methinks the Star Trek references are near mandatory at this point.
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:34 pm

I like the Space Quest references better :D :lol:
Chief

Postby Chief » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:14 pm

CanadianWolvie wrote:I like the Space Quest references better :D :lol:

Do you mean Galaxy Quest? If so that gave me some ideas:

Never give up, never surrender
Die in combat while having the ability to make an FTL jump. Well you sure showed them, didn't you?

By Grabthar's Hammer!
Kill the enemy boarder with a crew member who has just killed another crew member in the same room. Vengeance will be served, with Shakespearean acting. (could work on the conditions of this one)

Activate the Omega-13 device! (same as earlier suggestion, what does this button do?)
Self-destruct the ship

Mak-tar stealth haze
While cloaked, jump out of the system, like the brave captain you are. (is this possible?)

Whoever wrote this episode should die!
Have a crew member run through X consecutive flames, and then start repairing a subsystem. That's one way to add dramatic tension, we suggest slow-mo as well.

*Space Balls*
We brake for no man
Jump through X consecutive systems without taking a break. Get the hell out of our way.

She's gone from suck to blow! (possibly not appropriate)
Decompress X percent of your ship. Note: 1-2-3-4-5 is not a good password for your airlocks.

*unrelated*
I'm taking you with me!
Kill an enemy ship after you've blown up. I'll see you in hell!

It's getting a bit crowded in here
Recruit X many crew members. Look, would you mind just moving a bit... Ow!
Onyx:
Case|Thermaltake L10GT=|=GPU|eVGA GeForce GTX680=|=CPU|Intel I5 2400 3.1G=|=PSU|RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R=|=MB|MSI P67A-G45 (B3)=|=SDD|Crucial C300 128 GB (1.25 TB HDD)=|=RAM|Corsair 16 GB DDR3=|=LCS|Black Ice GT 240|EK-FC680|Koolance RP-1005BK
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:55 am

No, I meant Space Quest ( Yes, I totally meant Galaxy Quest, love that movie :lol: )

Roger Wilco
Have your least skilled crew member survive as the last crew member after being boarded.
stuntaneous

Postby stuntaneous » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Due to not having posted enough to reply to private messages, I think the only relevant place to reply is here.

stuntaneous wrote:Achievements? Show you're making games for the right reasons and don't let us see such crap on release.

USAgent wrote:Board warning issued
Sent: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 pm
To: stuntaneous

The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Your comment in the Achievement Thread is unnecessary. If you don't have something nice to say...

Thanks for the over-moderation, USAgent. It's been a great introduction to the forum.