[MOD] Starcraft Conversion v0.5: 18 new ships!

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
alextfish

[MOD] Starcraft Conversion v0.5: 18 new ships!

Postby alextfish » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm delighted to announce the 0.5 beta release of the FTL Starcraft Conversion!

The primary feature of this mod is: 18 new ships to play! All your favourite air units from Starcraft 1 and 2, ported into FTL!

These ships are mostly a bit harder than the ships in the vanilla game. This is mainly because the Terran and Zerg ships don't have any shields!
  • Terran ships all have no shields, but they have SCVs (Engi), System Casing, and 10 MULEs (the Hull Repair Drone), so they can shrug off most damage inflicted in combat. Most of them have Marines (Human) and/or Marauders (Rock) on board too.
  • Zerg ships have no shields, but they do have Parasitic Healing (the Hull Repair Arm), they all have at least one Zergling (Mantis) and at least one Infestor (Slug), most of them have Regenerative Carapace (Slug Gel), and they all have some powerful attacks or capabilities.
  • Protoss ships have shields, but have an unusual assortment of attacks. They're crewed entirely by High Templar (Zoltan) and Sentries (Crystal).
But despite being a bit trickier, each ship is playable and usable; I've beaten the game with several of them in just a few playtests. The full list of ships follows!

• Viking: Terran fighter with anti-capital missiles but no defence except its speed. All missiles all the time!
  • Medivac: Terran troop transporter. No weapons except Healing Burst, but 6 crew (2 Marauders 3 Marines 1 SCV) and a 4-space teleporter.
  • Wraith: Terran stealth fighter. Gemini Missile, 25mm Burst Lasers, and cloaking field.
  • Banshee: Terran stealth bomber! Bombs, missiles, and cloaking.
  • Mutalisk: Zerg attack fighter. Comes with a Weapon Pre-Igniter!
  • Queen: Zerg infiltrator. Ensnares systems and launches Broodlings.
  • Carrier: Protoss capital ship. 4 Interceptors attack the enemy ship!
  • Raven: Terran support ship with auto-turrets for offense, a point defense drone, and the powerful Seeker Missile.
  • Battlecruiser: Terran capital ship. Has slow but devastating weaponry, including burst lasers and a shield-piercing Yamato cannon, and a defence matrix.
  • Science Vessel: Terran support vessel and detector with a defence matrix. Uses electromagnetic weapons to disable enemy systems, and chemical irradiation to eliminate biological targets.
  • Corruptor: Zerg air-control unit. Neutralises enemy systems then spits deadly spores.
  • Brood Lord: Zerg heavy assault bomber. Launches bombs and broodlings.
  • Void Ray: Protoss beam ship. Its prismatic beam can decimate ships in seconds.
  • Corsair: Protoss air support ship. Uses Disruption Web to shut down enemy systems.
  • Arbiter: Protoss judiciary craft. Uses cloaking and can send enemy systems into stasis. Can use Recall to navigate to any visited beacon.
  • Phoenix: Fast Protoss strike craft. Unleashes a burst of laser fire and dodges the return volley. Can neutralise systems with a graviton stream.
  • Overlord: Zerg scout and troop transporter. Changelings infiltrate the enemy and do a little damage, but it's the zerglings you're carrying that are the real threat.
  • Warp Prism: Protoss troop transporter with significant shielding and minimal weaponry.

More screenshots:

Medivac in the hangar
Phoenix in flight
Wraith in an asteroid field
Brood Lord in combat

What's included: * 18 SC2 ships with graphics * SC names for almost all weapons, drones, augments and crew * SC2 icons for systems & subsystems
What's not included in this version, but possible for later releases: * New weapon graphics * Changed event text * Start-of-game option to unlock ships * New events * New sprites for crew * SC2-style interface for the rest of the UI * More than one gib per ship
What's not in this version, and not planned: * Any custom weapons apart from the Arbiter's Stasis bomb - I'd rather keep the balance of the weapons as we know it in FTL

Download

Download the SHIP mod here: http://www.toothycat.net/~hologram/FTL/SC2Ships.ftl
and the UI (icons) mod here: http://www.toothycat.net/~hologram/FTL/SC2UI.ftl
They're designed to be used together, but if you find the Starcrafty icons confusing you could just use the SC2Ships with the default icons.
Alternatively, you can download an archive of both files from ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ftl-starcraft-conversion

Both parts of the mod require Grognak's Mod Manager to work.
You may like to use ComaToes's Profile Editor to unlock any ships you've not got so far so that you can try out all the Starcraft ships :)

Please playtest and give me any feedback. I am planning to continue working on this, most especially to address any balance concerns that come up, but also to further Starcraft-ify the graphics.
Last edited by alextfish on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
nekron450

Re: [MOD] Starcraft Conversion v0.5: 18 new ships!

Postby nekron450 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:37 am

Question on the Carrier: -Carrier: Protoss capital ship. 4 Interceptors attack the enemy ship!-

mine just had no guns no drones and a transporter. so i thought hey thats strange but a challenge. well i couldn't make it past sector 2 is this normal or am i just bad at boarding?

aand another thing.this time about the yamato. the artillery beam is way in back and the ship is almost touching the other ships on the right.

edit#3 : cosair has a blank gun with no power needed that crashed my game. i think il go ahead and test them all for you.but later its bed time for me 2AM
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:14 am

Carrier is meant to have 4x Interceptor (Attack Drone I) as well as its small teleporter. It does for me. Not sure what's gone wrong there.
(The mod does include 3 ships with only teleporters for offense: Medivac, Overlord and Warp Prism. But Carrier's not meant to be one of them!)

You're right about the Battlecruiser though: it does come out awfully far to the right. I actually had a lot of trouble getting the defence matrix (zoltan shield) lined up right on the Battlecruiser: it's not ideal at the moment, but it's a lot better than it was. The Yamato cannon ought to be in the frontmost room, though, and it is for me... in fact, in your screenshot it looks like it is for you as well (the small artillery icon). I do see it lighting up from a room at the back though... odd. Does that affect gameplay for you?

Got to go out now - I'll check the Corsair issue later.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
nekron450

Postby nekron450 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:39 pm

the position of the cannon does not take away from gameplay other than how it looks i will run some test runs without anymods that add more guns to see if its an issue.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Ah, I realised the cause of your problem.

There's a problem with the split I gave in the original version: the two mods will work together, but not separately. I've redone the split: the new weapon names can't easily be left out, but the system icons can be. So I've redone the split: SC2Ships.ftl now includes the new weapon names as needed by the ships, as well as the ships themselves; SC2UI.ftl just includes the system icons. Take or leave the second one; it's the ships I'm most interested in what people think of :)

The new version also moves the battlecruiser over to the left a bit. Although not as much as I'd like; I find the system for specifying image offsets rather confusing and counterintuitive.
nekron450

Postby nekron450 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Bravo! that fixed it all. drones are named and there now,cosair has its ion thing. now the only problem thats really not one is compatability with the weponanza mod and the sort of faster than light mod. they both change default starter guns. but other than that everything is great. good job! :mrgreen:
shark

Postby shark » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm

I could tell you how to fix that arillery piece that ended up in a poor spot.

This is from updated circle_cruiser_2

Code: Select all

<weaponMounts>
   <mount x="360" y="80" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="6" slide="right"/>
   <mount x="360" y="120" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="6" slide="right"/>
   <mount x="230" y="29" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="6" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="300" y="294" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="5" slide="down"/>
   <mount x="385" y="252" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="5" slide="no"/>
</weaponMounts>

Note the bottom-right room of Engi B; the one where the pilot was - that's the new arillery room. The fifth mount - the one in charge of artillery (the one that doesn't rotate or slide) touches it and fires the beam from it. So basically you just need to align the x/y right and use the rest like I pasted here and the artillery should fall to it's place ;)

EDIT:
As far as other mods go, here's my rule of thumb:

modorder.txt

SFTL
<my mod>
weponanza
diversity
<more mods>

you want SFTL to patch the game first, then you want your mod (this mod), then you want weponanza to throw in additional guns. and diversity to repaint all of them. then the events/names mods :)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
Tei33

Postby Tei33 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:27 am

This is fucking brilliant, good job man!
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:56 am

shark wrote:I could tell you how to fix that arillery piece that ended up in a poor spot.
Oh, awesome. Thanks very much: I hadn't realised it'd get its own mount point. I'll make that fix. Ta very much for the tip!

shark wrote:EDIT:
As far as other mods go, here's my rule of thumb:

modorder.txt

SFTL
<my mod>
weponanza
diversity
<more mods>

you want SFTL to patch the game first, then you want your mod (this mod), then you want weponanza to throw in additional guns. and diversity to repaint all of them. then the events/names mods :)
It's sadly not that clear cut. This mod will conflict with diversity because it renames all the guns to Starcrafty names. If you want both then you have to choose: put diversity first to keep the Starcrafty names (but you'll lose some of the new shiny graphics), or put Starcraft first to get the diversity graphics (but you'll lose some of the Starcrafty names). Sadly I don't think there's a way within the GMM framework to specify "I only really want to override these tags within this weaponBlueprint; just inherit the rest, OK?"

What I'd most recommend adding is the High-Res Backgrounds mod. Does exactly what it says on the tin, does nothing gameplay-wise, just makes the backgrounds 10 times more gorgeous :)

Tei33 wrote:This is fucking brilliant, good job man!
:D Thank you very much!
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 pm

*is looking at the ships*

Perhaps my next lets plays should be on these...

Want me to lets play em so you can get an idea of some tech issues, balancing and what not (should point out I never played Star Craft, I know of it, and the meme zerg rush but thats it) Contact me if you want me to do anything specific and yes if I do the lets play I will credit you
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269