Why doesn't Cloak go off CD after a battle

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
biggestnubalive

Why doesn't Cloak go off CD after a battle

Postby biggestnubalive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:46 am

I can't count how many time I've accidentally jumped away while it was on CD just to take huge amounts of dmg on the stealth cruisers.
serghyy

Re: Why doesn't Cloak go off CD after a battle

Postby serghyy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 am

I think that's the point
Hoa_Binh

Postby Hoa_Binh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:41 am

Except the teleporter goes of CD so the functionallity is already in the game and waiting is boring.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:41 am

This comes up often enough. Personally i like the facepalm moments where i rush into the next fight without my cloak ready. doh!

It would be less boring if time wasn't paused when looking at the map or checking ship systems. You take stock of your current situation while the cloak recycles. And i'f you're me you still probably jump too soon :D and into asteroids :roll:
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:11 pm

How can you all say that?!
It's obviously a bug (or a mistake) seeing as it breaks the flow of the game. There's no rational explanation for it and it's horribly boring to just sit around and wait after most battles (I'm taking about the stealth cruiser), and having to restart if you forgot one time to aimlessly wait for ~10 secs, just so you could wait some more between battles. :x
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Well you have to wait for oxy to fill up to at least 75% to be safe for the next encounter. Oxygen levels, cloak, teleporter and engines should all recycle at their normal rate, there's just no way to justify them all *magically* reseting to full power/level. And this is how it works when your ship is in Danger! But when the ship is safe only the cloak and oxygen still recycle at the normal rate.

The teleporters reset so you can collect your crew from a possibly burning and doomed ship that has surrendered or been neutralised. The engines reset because it really would have no effect on the game other than to make us wait. Oxygen does not reset, nor should it because it would make the game easier. If you're in a hurry then take the risk and go ahead with low oxygen. Or wait to fill it up a bit.

The cloak is controversial because everyone decides to wait in order to have a ready cloak. Or forgets to wait and jumps into potential doom. This waiting is boring i admit, but i'm not against it staying the way it is. It just doesn't bother me.

But since the cloak DOES recycle while the ship is jumping to another beacon, it should at least recycle while browsing the map/ship systems. That would somewhat eliminate the timewasting without altering the gameplay.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:45 pm

OK UltraMantis, let's break down your comment:
UltraMantis wrote:Well you have to wait for oxy to fill up to at least 75% to be safe for the next encounter.

First-wrong, second-It's hardly ever a problem.
UltraMantis wrote:Oxygen levels, cloak, teleporter and engines should all recycle at their normal rate, there's just no way to justify them all *magically* reseting to full power/level.

Yes there is-it breaks the flow of a game when you constantly have to pause whatever you're doing, to just wait for a few seconds, doing absolutely nothing.
UltraMantis wrote:And this is how it works when your ship is in Danger!

Well, yes, because if everything "recycled", you might be saved unfairly from an otherwise dangerous situation. In safty, however, there simply is no rational reason to wait (which is why the engines are immediately ready).

UltraMantis wrote:The teleporters reset so you can collect your crew from a possibly burning and doomed ship that has surrendered or been neutralised.

If anything, the TP should be the one left to load, since what you described is unfair (it only cools down instantaneously for the same reason the engines do, but that is not always danger-free in safe environments, it depends on the ship's state)

UltraMantis wrote:The engines reset because it really would have no effect on the game other than to make us wait.

Exactly as should be done about the cloaking.
UltraMantis wrote:Oxygen does not reset, nor should it because it would make the game easier. If you're in a hurry then take the risk and go ahead with low oxygen. Or wait to fill it up a bit.

...fine, but only because it takes so long to actually be a problem.

UltraMantis wrote:The cloak is controversial because everyone decides to wait in order to have a ready cloak. Or forgets to wait and jumps into potential doom. This waiting is boring i admit, but i'm not against it staying the way it is. It just doesn't bother me.

It still doesn't change the fact that it's broken, useless and annoying!

UltraMantis wrote:But since the cloak DOES recycle while the ship is jumping to another beacon, it should at least recycle while browsing the map/ship systems. That would somewhat eliminate the timewasting without altering the gameplay.

Well, no, because time is paused when browsing the menus (and it's not just the cloak that continues when the jump animation is in progress, the crew still move, solar flares can still harm you ship etc.
fylth

Postby fylth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:32 pm

To be fair, you could justify the recharge the same way that the Zoltan shield charge is explained, the massive amount of energy produced by activating the FTL drive supercharges all your systems, resetting them for the start of your next encounter.

Makes sense to me at least
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 pm

fylth wrote:To be fair, you could justify the recharge the same way that the Zoltan shield charge is explained, the massive amount of energy produced by activating the FTL drive supercharges all your systems, resetting them for the start of your next encounter.

No, just no.
1.The Zoltan shield is explained... With text... That is written inside the game.
2.The Zoltan shield charges AFTER you jump, the other stuff (teleport etc.) charge BEFORE.
3.The ENGINES charge immediately (are you telling me the FTL drive is charging the FTL drive?)
4.Assuming you are correct, why doesn't the cloak charge? That's the whole point of the topic!
fylth

Postby fylth » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:57 pm

EdenNov wrote:
fylth wrote:To be fair, you could justify the recharge the same way that the Zoltan shield charge is explained, the massive amount of energy produced by activating the FTL drive supercharges all your systems, resetting them for the start of your next encounter.

No, just no.
1.The Zoltan shield is explained... With text... That is written inside the game.
2.The Zoltan shield charges AFTER you jump, the other stuff (teleport etc.) charge BEFORE.
3.The ENGINES charge immediately (are you telling me the FTL drive is charging the FTL drive?)
4.Assuming you are correct, why doesn't the cloak charge? That's the whole point of the topic!

Take it easy there, no need to jump down my throat.

I was suggesting a way to justify the main systems charging, as UltraMantis said there would be no way to do so. I know what already happens in the game.