[SHIP] Ebon Hawk

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
krail

[SHIP] Ebon Hawk

Postby krail » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:34 pm

The Ebon Hawk
v1.0

Description
This Dynamic-Class freighter and smuggler ship rose to fame during the Jedi Civil War, when it was commandeered by both the Dark Lord Revan, and later the Jedi Exile Meetra Surik. It's also the coolest ship this side of the Millennium Falcon.

Loadout
This ship has it all:
    -Fully custom sprites and layout and stuff
    -A cool Ion drone I dug out of the game files just for fun
    -Very lightweight, shouldn't conflict with anything
    -A couple of modified room sprites, because consoles blocking doors is bad :(
    -It's the Ebon Hawk... why bother even having a ship selection?

Download
This ship requires Grognak's Mod Manager to install. -Read that thread for info on how to install mods!

DIRECT LINK

Other Things...
Overwriting ships: Don't want to replace the engi ship? You only have to adjust one line! Just open the .append file with your favorite text editor and find the line:

Code: Select all

<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE_2" layout="ebon_hawk" img="ebon_hawk">

Just replace "PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE_2" with whatever ship you hate the most! (Be warned though, ships with thruster effects such as the kestrel and fed cruiser will still show them... I don't know how to fix this :()

Feedback: Constructive Criticism is appreciated, especially concerning balance. Try the loadout, is it too weak? Too powerful? Let me know. Bug reports and other issues are also much appreciated.

Legal Crap: This archive contains some modified game files, property of it's owners. Original sprites property of me are provided under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial Licence, meaning you are free to modify and redistribute the work, but only with attribution and for non-commercial purposes :)
Last edited by krail on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tenfinnvo

Re: [SHIP] Ebon Hawk

Postby Tenfinnvo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:58 pm

This one just doesn't seem to be working for me. I tried installing the star destroyer instead of this one, and it worked just fine. When i tried looking into the .append file, instead of "<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE_2" layout="ebon_hawk" img="ebon_hawk">" there was "<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE_2" layout="circle_cruiser_2" img="circle_cruiser_2">". I replaced it, however the mod did not begin to work.
Edit: I now understand that the ebon hawk was on a second layout, which i did not have. Thanks for this awesome mod!
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Multiple things I'd like to mention.

1. Meetra Surik, where did you dig that out? The Exile from KOTOR2 has no official name, it's chosen by the player!

2. Dynamic-class? :?

3. Your layout is wrong. Try playing KOTOR a bit more to correct it.
Tenfinnvo

Postby Tenfinnvo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:34 pm

dalolorn wrote:Multiple things I'd like to mention.

1. Meetra Surik, where did you dig that out? The Exile from KOTOR2 has no official name, it's chosen by the player!

1) "Meetra Surik, also known as the Jedi Exile after the Mandalorian Wars, was a Human female Jedi Master. As a Padawan, she chose to disobey the orders of the Jedi High Council and aid the Galactic Republic in its war against the invading Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders." Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Meetra_Surik
That is, essentially, the protagonist of KotOR II. As you can see, she has an official name. Read the source for more information.

2) I have nothing to say on this matter, but i believe that means that it is not a huge cargo ship, but a small and fast fighter.

3) The exact layout as it is in KotOR would be bad for FTL gameplay. Imagine having a fire and the only airlock is at the entrance. The layout as it is makes me remember the original one pretty much, so i am happy this way.
krail

Postby krail » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Tenfinnvo wrote:This one just doesn't seem to be working for me. I tried installing the star destroyer instead of this one, and it worked just fine. When i tried looking into the .append file, instead of "<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE_2" layout="ebon_hawk" img="ebon_hawk">" there was "<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE_2" layout="circle_cruiser_2" img="circle_cruiser_2">". I replaced it, however the mod did not begin to work.
Edit: I now understand that the ebon hawk was on a second layout, which i did not have. Thanks for this awesome mod!

Hmm, that line being different is very strange indeed. Even downloading it myself, and opening the archive, the line is as I said. Glad to see it worked for you in the end though :D

Tenfinnvo covered this pretty well, but anyway:

1. I know, I don't recall it being said anywhere in-game, but that's her canonical name :P

2. Dynamic-class is the model of the ship (Wiki) honestly I was a bit strained on what to write in the description :?

3. Just as Tenfinnvo said, I felt that if I tried to replicate the layout more accurately, it would be worse for gameplay. But please, I'm open to different ideas for the layout if you can think of one which is more fun or more like the original!
Darklotso

Postby Darklotso » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:02 am

1. Meetra Surik was the name given to the Exile in the book; Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan.
2. Dynamic-class is the class of ship the Ebon Hawk is. It wasn't mentioned in either Kotor 1 or 2, but it was mentioned in the game files I believe, as well as other places.
youraveragecommenter

Postby youraveragecommenter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:20 pm

This is great, This is my second favorite ship from star wars. Just to ask though, do you think you could add more detail to it because it looks kinda bland, but its no big deal. Thank you for making this though, you are awesome. :mrgreen:
youraveragecommenter

Postby youraveragecommenter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Oh and do you think you could put a XML file in the download section because i would love to play around with this in Ship Edit :)
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:46 am

You can easily obtain the .xml file from the .ftl file:

* Rename the .ftl file to end with .zip
* Unzip the zip archive
* Rename the "blueprints.xml.append" file (in the data directory) so it ends with .xml
* Tada! You can open it with Ship Editor.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Tenfinnvo wrote:

1) "Meetra Surik, also known as the Jedi Exile after the Mandalorian Wars, was a Human female Jedi Master. As a Padawan, she chose to disobey the orders of the Jedi High Council and aid the Galactic Republic in its war against the invading Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders." Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Meetra_Surik
That is, essentially, the protagonist of KotOR II. As you can see, she has an official name. Read the source for more information.

2) I have nothing to say on this matter, but i believe that means that it is not a huge cargo ship, but a small and fast fighter.

3) The exact layout as it is in KotOR would be bad for FTL gameplay. Imagine having a fire and the only airlock is at the entrance. The layout as it is makes me remember the original one pretty much, so i am happy this way.

1. Hardly an official name. It's likely that the guy who edited the wiki filled in with the name of their character. Wiki editors do that a lot when they can. Let's not forget that you don't have to be female or to be called Meetra Surik when playing KOTOR2.

2. It's a small cargo ship. And I was actually confused because I didn't hear that name ever before.

3. I don't mind the extra airlocks, but the very SHAPE of the layout is wrong. ALL of it.