ftl ubuntu crash

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
fdp139

ftl ubuntu crash

Postby fdp139 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 am

when ever i load up the game i get to the loading screen then after it loads it just crashes

im new to linux so help would be muchly apreciated
boa13

Re: ftl ubuntu crash

Postby boa13 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 am

I suppose you are double-clicking the FTL icon in the FTL directory to launch the game? This is not a problem in itself (this is how I launch the game in Unbuntu), but this prevents you from seeing the error messages that can occur at the time the game starts.

So, try to launch the game from the command-line. You need to open a Terminal Window (or whatever Ubuntu calls this), enter the FTL directory (using the cd command), and then type ./FTL to start the game (don't forget the starting dot before the slash).

(I'm sorry this is a bit vague, but I don't have a Linux desktop right here to guide you more precisely. This is basic command-line usage, so you should be able to find many guides and tutorials that explain such basics to you. This is knowledge generally useful to have in case things go wrong, like they do now.)

Once you manage to start the game this way, in addition to the game window, it should display lines of text in the Terminal Window. Copy/paste them in this forum, the game developers can make sense of them and understand what is wrong on your Linux.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
fdp139

Postby fdp139 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:35 am

Loading Arch = x86
Initializing Crash Catcher...
Initializing Video
Video Initialized
Opengl version = 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Starting audio library...
Audio Initialized!
Resource Preload: 76711
Initializing animations...
Animations Initialized!
Loading Ship Blueprints....
Blueprints Loaded!
Initializing Sound Data....
Generating world...
Loading achievements...
Loading score file...
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc
./FTL: line 8: 6721 Aborted
boa13

Postby boa13 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Glad to see you managed to get those lines. I think the crucial ones are the following:

Code: Select all

Loading achievements...
Loading score file...
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc

Only Matthew (FTL developer) can really have an idea of what is going wrong at that point; meanwhile, here is a thing you can try.

In your home directory, try to enter the .local directory (note the initial dot, which makes the directory hidden from view in file explorers; they often have an option to show such names, you might need to enable it). Inside, you should find a share directory, itself containing a FasterThanLight directory. This is where FTL saves your game progress.

The achievements/score file is named prof.sav. There is a possibility that it is corrupted (only Matthew can tell). I suggest you rename it (whatever you want, for example prof-1.sav), so that the game creates a fresh one, and start FTL to see if this was the problem. (If this was not, then you can delete the freshly created prof.sav, and rename the old one back to prof.sav).

By the way, for the sake of completeness, can you tell us which graphic card/graphic chip you have inside your computer, what your screen resolution is, and how much RAM you have in your computer?
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 am

boa13 is right, it's likely your profile file. You'll likely need to delete the profile file (he described the location) to get it to run. If you had unlocks/achievements, I'm very sorry about the inconvenience.. but luckily someone on the forums created a convenient profile editor you can use to recreate any unlocks you might have had: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2877

Alternatively, you can just email me a list of unlocks/achievements and I'll make you one :) Again, sorry about the problem.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
fdp139

Postby fdp139 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:54 am

how do i get into my .local folder nothing seems to work
Carborundum

Postby Carborundum » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 am

Files and folders which begin with . are hidden. To view them, open Nautilus (that's the file explorer in Ubuntu) and press Ctrl+H.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:20 am

Alternatively to Nautilus, from a Terminal Window, this should work (type these commands one after the other):

Code: Select all

cd
cd .local/share/FasterThanLight
ls -l
mv prof.sav prof.broken.sav

The first "empty" cd command makes sure you are in your home directory. The second cd should make you enter the directory where FTL saves your progress (don't forget the dot in .local). The ls command is optional, it lists the contents of the directory, to make sure you are at the right place, and the files in there are what you expect. The mv command renames the prof.sav file.

Then you can start the game, first from the command-line, and then, when everything works good, by double-clicking on the FTL icon, which is less tedious. :)
dwarf17342

Postby dwarf17342 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:20 pm

Mine works for no reason, by that I mean up till 16.04 lts it was broken but... I guess they did some under the hood stuff.