[MOD]Firefly - Serenity (by MattsterT)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
MattsterT

[MOD]Firefly - Serenity (by MattsterT)

Postby MattsterT » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Description
Balanced for gameplay
Behold one of the most requested ships; Serenity from the Firefly universe. The ship has been balanced to give you an enjoyable gaming experience featuring a cloak you must use effectively and improved engine mounts to allow for better evasion.

Mod Information
- This ship will replace the default Kestrel class ship but not the second variant
- The pack comes in an extracting zip / rar which needs to be copied over the game directory
- I've included instructions and the files necessary to restore your game to it's default state however I would always recommend backing up your game files yourself as a precaution.
- Without a mod loader the current version is rather large but I will hopefully fix that in later updates

Supports
- Shields
- Cloaking
- Transporter
- Drones
- 3 Weapons

screenshots
(Click the links for a true image)

this is a Work In Progress so please let me know if you run into any problems or have any suggestions for improvements and I'll keep this thread as up-to date as possible.

Known Issues
- Explosion Gib positioning is duplicated for a second

Installation
Regular version
- Navigate to your games "Resources" folder (In the game directory)
- Create an un-modded backup copy on your desktop
- Extract the "Resources" folder from your chosen download
- Copy and replace your "Resources" folder in your game directory with the extracted "Resources" folder

Un-Installation
- Navigate to your games "Resources" folder (In the game directory)
- Open the "Resources" folder and rename resources.dat to resources.datSTE
- Rename data.dat to data.datSTE
- Rename data.datorig to data.dat (this is the un-modded data file)
- Rename resources.datorig to resources.dat (this is the un-modded resource file)

The slim version does not contain resources.datorig or data.datorig, use your own backup or reinstall & repair the game

Download - Full Version
Full version with uninstall hosted on Rapidshare
(~276MB)
Download Zip
https://rapidshare.com/files/4095060035 ... irefly.zip
Download RAR
https://rapidshare.com/files/2171713848 ... irefly.rar

Download - Slim Version
THIS SLIM VERSION DOES NOT CONTAIN THE ORIGINAL FILES, IT IS YOUR RESPONSABILITY TO BACK THEM UP FIRST!!!

hosted on MediaFire
(~138MB)
Download Zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?26bhue2auec1l86
Download RAR
http://www.mediafire.com/?2nrii57ekxr80u3

(Again I'm very sorry for the file size)

Also Available
- Star Trek - Enterprise 1701-A
Last edited by MattsterT on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MattsterT

Re: [MOD]Firefly - Serenity

Postby MattsterT » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Reserved for bug tracking / Updates
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:27 pm

For reference, on the screenshots posted, you're only showing 3 available weapon slots, while you say in your post that you have 4 slots. Not sure if those are older screenshots or a typo in your post.

A couple of additional questions/thoughts (possibly for a Type B layout?):

• The cockpit as depicted in Firefly is large enough for nearly the entire crew to stand in. Perhaps have a 4x4 room for that?
  • I envision the shuttles as functionally similar to drones, while Serenity itself doesn't actually have any weapons on the ship itself. As default systems, perhaps instead of starting with weapons, start with a teleporter and a drone of some sort? (Most of Serenity focuses on the crew going somewhere and doing stuff, so I'd envision Serenity being more of a Boarding strategy ship.) To offset this, perhaps start with both L1 shields and L1 cloaking?
  • Starting with Long-Ranged Scanner/L2 sensors is an excellent choice and matches my expectations very well.
  • If at all possible (and it may not be - I certainly can't help, lol), a pixel-art version of Serenity would be awesome - while the overlay as it currently is is a good top-down shot of the ship, it's quite conspicuous amongst the rest of the game's art.
MattsterT

Postby MattsterT » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:For reference, on the screenshots posted, you're only showing 3 available weapon slots, while you say in your post that you have 4 slots. Not sure if those are older screenshots or a typo in your post.

Ah you're absolutely correct thanks for spotting that, I just changed it now.

Icehawk78 wrote:The cockpit as depicted in Firefly is large enough for nearly the entire crew to stand in. Perhaps have a 4x4 room for that?
I envision the shuttles as functionally similar to drones, while Serenity itself doesn't actually have any weapons on the ship itself. As default systems, perhaps instead of starting with weapons, start with a teleporter and a drone of some sort? (Most of Serenity focuses on the crew going somewhere and doing stuff, so I'd envision Serenity being more of a Boarding strategy ship.) To offset this, perhaps start with both L1 shields and L1 cloaking?
Starting with Long-Ranged Scanner/L2 sensors is an excellent choice and matches my expectations very well.

Hmm I've been toying with the idea of making Layout1 the fun version and Layout2 the much more screen accurate version, if I ever get around to adding the screen version I'll certainly add your suggestions since they're spot on.

Icehawk78 wrote:If at all possible (and it may not be - I certainly can't help, lol), a pixel-art version of Serenity would be awesome - while the overlay as it currently is is a good top-down shot of the ship, it's quite conspicuous amongst the rest of the game's art.

I would love a pixel art version but unfortunately my artistic talent hasn't progressed beyond stick figures in paint, if you happen to know an artist willing to donate a pixel art serenity to the mod I'll not only include it and credit them but I'll also put their signature on the hull and a portfolio address in the description
mattimao

Re: [MOD]Firefly - Serenity (by MattsterT)

Postby mattimao » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:02 pm

This looks great!
Any chance you might be working on a ship with the a name ending in Falcon? :D
MattsterT

Postby MattsterT » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:18 pm

mattimao wrote:This looks great!
Any chance you might be working on a ship with the a name ending in Falcon? :D

I'm not going to say a thing, I'll just leave this link...
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... terior.jpg
mattimao

Postby mattimao » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:05 pm

:shock: I..am..so..HAPPY!!!

Now if you could make it so your ship mods will run using the new mod manager, then I could easily switch back and forth from one ship to another.

Oh, and, THANK YOU! :D
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:56 pm

MattsterT wrote:Hmm I've been toying with the idea of making Layout1 the fun version and Layout2 the much more screen accurate version, if I ever get around to adding the screen version I'll certainly add your suggestions since they're spot on.

Yeah, my thoughts on it were essentially that the changes I made would definitely lead to a very different playstyle than many people (myself included) are likely to play with, which might be fun (or it might be insanely hard, possibly both simultaneously). Do you know if it's possible to disable starting weapons entirely, so that you'd need to buy a "Weapons System" from a shop before you could add weapons, similar to the Drone Controller currently?

MattsterT wrote:I would love a pixel art version but unfortunately my artistic talent hasn't progressed beyond stick figures in paint, if you happen to know an artist willing to donate a pixel art serenity to the mod I'll not only include it and credit them but I'll also put their signature on the hull and a portfolio address in the description

Haha, I'm exactly the same way, I do programming both as my day job and for fun on the side. My art-side is complete crap, so short of doing something like using basic shapes in Photoshop in a new layer over top of your base image (possibly something I could pull off, but I honestly haven't got the time to do it) I'd have no clue how to even get started, nor do I know any artists offhand. Possibly might be able to look and see if there's anyone on DeviantArt who has done Firefly-related art and see if they'd be interested?
Neo1874

Postby Neo1874 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Just wanted to take a moment to thank you for this ship. I will be using it from now on starting tonight. If you update the ship please let us know.

Regards
John
Thelionheart

Postby Thelionheart » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:39 am

Thought I'd let you guys know I've started on a version of Serenity that is supposed to look cohesive with the art style of all the other ships. It's slow work where I have to section off specific parts of the ship, and since Serenity is a much more busy ship aesthetically than the vanilla ones, its taking me awhile. ATM I have about 53 sections sectioned off with about 3 hours of work. So far I've gotten the front, middle, wings, and engines, and cockpit. I've yet to start on the bridge/mess hall area and the "big" engine in the back.