Steam cloud sync on Linux

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
scrawl

Steam cloud sync on Linux

Postby scrawl » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:36 pm

When I exit the game it says "Syncing..." for a brief moment but nothing ever gets uploaded. It says 0 bytes / 100 mb used.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Steam cloud sync on Linux

Postby Matthew » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:13 am

The Steam Cloud is activated / managed by Steam, it's not something we manually set up in the game. I'll contact Steam to see if that's possible to get working though!
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
lmb

Postby lmb » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:50 pm

I can add a bit to this topic.

Steam Cloud is working just fine for me on Windows, but what gets synced between different windows computers does still not get synced to Steam in Linux.

Someone should verify if this is an issue for other games as well, I don't have access to my windows gaming computer now over the holidays, but I'll look into it early january when I'm back at home.
lmb

Postby lmb » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:11 am

I ran steam in a terminal and saved the output, might help.

These are the lines in the log from starting to stopping FTL.

Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 212680
Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 212680
Game update: AppID 212680 "FTL: Faster Than Light", ProcID 27907, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object 'gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Loading Arch = amd64
Initializing Crash Catcher...
Initializing Video
Video Initialized
Opengl version = 2.1 Mesa 9.0
Starting audio library...
Audio Initialized!
saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully
Resource Preload: 7716
Initializing animations...
Animations Initialized!
Loading Ship Blueprints....
Blueprints Loaded!
Initializing Sound Data....
Generating world...
Loading achievements...
Loading score file...
Running Game!
Game removed: AppID 212680 "FTL: Faster Than Light", ProcID 27907
saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully
kovtunov

Postby kovtunov » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Same problem on Mac. I played a lot on PC but switched on Mac recently. But no statistic and achievements, all gone.
I'm from Ukraine and like your game very much, so I hope you will find a solution. Thanks.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 pm

To those that want to transfer their data, you can always manually move the profile file. Check out the locations here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1892
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
kovtunov

Postby kovtunov » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Matthew wrote:To those that want to transfer their data, you can always manually move the profile file. Check out the locations here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1892

Thanks!
FendrelTheFaq

Postby FendrelTheFaq » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:06 pm

What I did was link my savefiles with a dropbox account so when I play on Linux, the files automatically update on my dropbox account which allows me to play with the same profile on both systems...
boniek

Postby boniek » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 pm

FendrelTheFaq wrote:What I did was link my savefiles with a dropbox account so when I play on Linux, the files automatically update on my dropbox account which allows me to play with the same profile on both systems...
Matthew wrote:To those that want to transfer their data, you can always manually move the profile file. Check out the locations here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1892

BTW it still doesn't work. Your workarounds defeat the purpose of steam cloud which is supposed to just work. Could you possibly get in touch with Valve and let them know there is a problem? If they don't know that this issue exist they will not fix it...
jiia

Postby jiia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:32 am

Steam Cloud sync doesn't work on OS X either. The games I play on my Mac don't get uploaded to the cloud and my Windows saves don't get synced to my Mac.

This has been discussed on the Steam forums. The admins said that the game developer needs to implement support for Steam Cloud so you can't blame them for it. You just haven't implemented it properly.

Please fix this asap, this is probably the biggest problem your game has. Linux and Mac users make 5% of Steam users, which means that 5% of your customers can't sync their save games.