Crash on boot LinuxMint 17.3

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
marblehornet

Crash on boot LinuxMint 17.3

Postby marblehornet » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:49 am

Hello,

FTL was working, got 10 hours in and my laptop died, after this happened it stopped working. The game gets to the loading bar but crashes. I'm on Linux Mint 17.3 x86, I have replaced the libbass.so and libbassmix.so files with their proper updated counterparts from un4seen.com, I've rebooted, I have verified the game cache, I have uninstalled the game then reinstalled it and tried all these again.

When it crashes the terminal has the following readout:

Code: Select all

Loading Arch = x86
Initializing Crash Catcher...
Initializing Video
Video Initialized
Opengl version = 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9
Starting audio library...
Audio Initialized!
Resource Preload: 5.667
Loading text....
Initializing animations...
Animations Initialized!
Loading Ship Blueprints....
Blueprints Loaded!
Initializing Sound Data....
Generating world...
Loading achievements...
Loading score file...
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
./FTL: line 8: 11040 Aborted                 ./FTL "$@"

I thought it was just a bad save because the computer shut down mid game, but uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help either. Any help would be appreciated!
shadowcrust

Re: Crash on boot LinuxMint 17.3

Postby shadowcrust » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:52 am

It is very likely a bad save, but reinstalling the game won't help with that, as your profile - ae_prof.sav - and your current game (if present) - continue.sav - are not stored in the game directory, but in ~/.local/share/FasterThanLight

I guess one or both .sav files will be 0 bytes. You can rename or delete one or both of the .sav files and then restart the game, should work again.

I'm a bit of an expert in that regard, as FTL has corrupted my profile 4 times when I was playing on underachieving hardware that would overheat when not properly placed on a cooling pad, and after it crashed the computer, my profile would be gone. Someone speculated a couple of years ago that this is a bug where files are not properly synced on Linux.
marblehornet

Re: Crash on boot LinuxMint 17.3

Postby marblehornet » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:25 am

Worked like a charm, made my night! Didn't see this solution anywhere else

Thank you!