Difficulty scales with how equipped you are?

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Malach

Difficulty scales with how equipped you are?

Postby Malach » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Great game so far, worth the purchase, hard as hell!

However I have run into one problem while playing the game.

I think the difficulty scales with how prepared your ship is aka amount of shields, weapons, or crew you have on board. I've noticed this right after I dump a bunch of points into shields since I got lucky with a early quest and all of a sudden I get attacked by a super pirate that kills me because I don't have good enough weapons to beat him! Something like this has happened to me several times.

If this is case can't we change it to make the difficulty scale with progression of the level not your ship?
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Difficulty scales with how equipped you are?

Postby Matthew » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:50 pm

I'm afraid you just have bad luck. The difficulty definitely does not scale according to how well equipped you are. All enemy ship generation is dependent on sector number, not the player ship. I'm personally not a fan of level scaling in games so it was an important factor in the design.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Malach

Postby Malach » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Gotcha, Thanks for the response!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Matthew wrote:I'm afraid you just have bad luck. The difficulty definitely does not scale according to how well equipped you are. All enemy ship generation is dependent on sector number, not the player ship. I'm personally not a fan of level scaling in games so it was an important factor in the design.

Thanks for that reply. I could have sworn that Malach was indeed correct. I felt the same way.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
tour86rocker

Postby tour86rocker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:58 am

UltraMantis wrote:
Matthew wrote:I'm afraid you just have bad luck. The difficulty definitely does not scale according to how well equipped you are. All enemy ship generation is dependent on sector number, not the player ship. I'm personally not a fan of level scaling in games so it was an important factor in the design.

Thanks for that reply. I could have sworn that Malach was indeed correct. I felt the same way.

Second'd. Not a complaint, though. Enemy difficult scales sensibly as you progress and if you blow up your own boarding party, the game doesn't go easy on you in the next encounter. :D
nfiea2

Postby nfiea2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Malach wrote:Great game so far, worth the purchase, hard as hell!

However I have run into one problem while playing the game.

I think the difficulty scales with how prepared your ship is aka amount of shields, weapons, or crew you have on board. I've noticed this right after I dump a bunch of points into shields since I got lucky with a early quest and all of a sudden I get attacked by a super pirate that kills me because I don't have good enough weapons to beat him! Something like this has happened to me several times.

If this is case can't we change it to make the difficulty scale with progression of the level not your ship?

Facing overpowered ships that would defeat every other ship in the sector are a feature

it is random chance if you will face one of these ships

it is left to chance if you will be able to jump before the ship shreds your engines or helm

this is a feature
Saepirist

Postby Saepirist » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Well, I'm starting to think that this might be true.

I was in sector 5 with 3 shields, a defensive drone against missiles, 2 basic lasers, 1 burst laser and 1 ion charger. Also 6 crew that include 4 type of aliens/human and full hull points. I was sure that this time I was going for a brutal victory(oh, my sweet summer child).

However everything changed when I faced with a ship that have 3 shields and 3 laser weapon that fires 2 or 3 leasers (I couldn't count) at the same time. So, I jumped off with 3 hull points left and then faced with a ship that has missile weapon. (My drone system was damaged) Fifteen seconds later, I was looking a game over screen.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:21 pm

The game doesn't have dynamic difficulty. It gets harder the further you go. If you encounter an overpowered ship after you make your ship overpowered, then it's just bad luck and you thank yourself for upgrading accordingly or else the fight might have turned out nastier.

A 3-shielded Slug Bomber with a cloaking device got me with 3 Burst Laser I's while I still had two layers of shield, poor engines and no cloak. I couldn't even run - they got the helm the first barrage.

If I wasn't saving up for the cloak and had upgraded my shields, I probably would have made it out of there alive.