text unreadable w/ DRMfree, not with steam

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
quelarion

text unreadable w/ DRMfree, not with steam

Postby quelarion » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Hello everybody,
I have a problem running FTL on my lenovo thinkpad tablet 2 with Windows 10. I have bought FTL on the humble store so I have both a DRM free and a Steam version. Since I'm usually using the tablet on the way somewhere, I would prefer using the DRM free version. However, for some reason, the DRM free version has unreadable text in the menu, while launching the game from Steam works fine.

Here you can find the screenshots

Even if I launch the game from the steamapps/common folder the text is garbled.
The games are both version 1.5.13
I had the same problem on Windows 8.1, but didn't bother to ask and played on my desktop ;)
EDIT: both screenshots are in windowed mode, but the problem is there also full screen

Any idea?

Thanks!
quelarion

Re: text unreadable w/ DRMfree, not with steam

Postby quelarion » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:26 pm

No ideas?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:41 pm

quelarion wrote:No ideas?

No. I have both as well and both work, though mine was from GOG.

Both Steam and elsewhere, though, are DRM free. Steam just has that extra layer on top of FTL. You can load Steam when not online and go into offline mode, and then launch FTL normally though. I know this because I too spend a lot of time offline and run the Steam version exclusively. I don't even think I have the GOG version installed anymore.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
isla

Postby isla » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Do you have two copies of the game on your system? I.e. The Steam copy is located inside "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light" and one is located somewhere else? If so, what happens if you run FTL from inside that folder, rather than launching it from your Steam library?