Encounter Fuel Depot without any Fuel

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
wastecan

Encounter Fuel Depot without any Fuel

Postby wastecan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:44 am

Don't know if anyone pays attention to this forum or not, but...

Just ran into this tonight... Encountered the Fuel Depot without any Fuel. Of course I decided to dock with the platform, which exploded- explosion/taking 3 units of Fuel from my ship that my ship did not have.

Might want to modify that encounter for this rare case...

Cheers!
Wastecan
stylesrj

Re: Encounter Fuel Depot without any Fuel

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:27 am

I don't see what the problem is. You have no fuel, so it takes away nothing. Everything is up to chance after all.

I don't complain when I'm out of fuel, I throw up a distress signal only to have a Mantis answer it and give me no fuel. I just go "Really, were they running on fumes when they got here? Did they even listen to my distress signal?"
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:03 am

stylesrj wrote:I don't see what the problem is. You have no fuel, so it takes away nothing. Everything is up to chance after all.

I think he's saying that the event shouldn't say it removes 3 fuel when it in fact removed 0.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:40 am

The game doesn't care. Like when you dump all your fuel to escape a black hole. Even if you have 0 fuel, you'll still escape.
dark33hawk

Postby dark33hawk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31 pm

That's actually kinda depressing for the black hole. A ship could escape with only their impulse engines when even light could not escape it :( .
I've grown Scales since I left. But now I'm soaring again. Off to save the Federation and have fun!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:14 pm

But if you had fuel to dump, it'd dump it all. 1 fuel... 50 fuel... it'll dump up to 99 units in order to escape an impending singularity.

So yeah, no matter what you'll be left without fuel after that event. Good thing it's only encountered rarely and in a rarely encountered sector on top of that.

But that's why you this is not a bug. Because you have or can make events where you dump all your fuel. See BS singularities in Captain's Edition that just pop up without warning, even with Long Range Scanners.
wastecan

Postby wastecan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:41 pm

My bad for not including all of the text of the encounter...

The encounter specifically states ... "3 units of fuel in your ship explode." Then an indicator that you lost 3 fuel...

I totally understand that I am still left with zero fuel. I totally understand how unfriendly the encounters can be...

What I am saying is that the encounter should reflect, in some way, that your ship does or does not have the fuel which explodes.

Wastecan
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:30 pm

So what you're saying is that the text should say "Some of the fuel onboard your ship explodes" rather than specify it being "Three units of fuel explode" as if you had three units.

That still would be a problem if you had no fuel but it's better than specifying.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:38 am

It could be (in pseudocode):

if (fuel > 3)
"3 fuel units explode!"
if (0 < fuel < 3)
"All of your fuel explodes!"
if (fuel = 0)
"The fuel you were trying to siphon explodes!"
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:59 am

That sounds too complicated to program in to "fix" an event where you can just say all the fuel you collect explodes. "And it takes some of your own fuel in the crossfire"