Game uses Ruwen

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Ray Robertson

Game uses Ruwen

Postby Ray Robertson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:20 am

It seems that the game checks for a Crystal crewmember named Ruwen whether to create a quest marker at the beacon that leads to the Crystal sector upon jumping into the Rock Homeworlds.

This is counter-intuitive and can be exploited while using the Rock Cruiser Layout C or any of the Crystal cruisers.
Last edited by Ray Robertson on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFallenAngel359

Re: Game uses Ruwen

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:44 am

This isn't a bug., it's intentional. It was added with the Advanced Edition features, if I remember correctly.
Ray Robertson

Postby Ray Robertson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:12 am

TheFallenAngel359 wrote:This isn't a bug., it's intentional. It was added with the Advanced Edition features, if I remember correctly.

The quest beacon appearing was added with the advanced edition, that is correct. It is expected to only appear though when you find a Crystal Crewmember from a stasis chamber during the game.

This also suggests that the quest beacon possibly might not appear when one renames the Crystal from the chamber.

Also the dialogue should be different when you do find the secret sector using a Crystal not from the chamber.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:31 am

I think if you rename a Crystal to be Ruwen, it makes the blue option show up on entry to the Homeworlds (Someone can link the post where it was proven... because I can't remember who said it or when and was it with the candlestick or the revolver?)
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Ray Robertson wrote:It seems that the game checks for a Crystal crewmember named Ruwen whether to create a quest beacon that leads to the Crystal sector upon jumping into the Rock Homeworlds.

This is counter-intuitive and can be exploited while using the Rock Cruiser Layout C or any of the Crystal cruisers.

The event for the Crystal Sector beacon is generated whether or not you have a Crystal crewmember. If you don't have a crystal crewmember, you simply don't see the option to enter the Crystal Sector.

Here is the code for the event, with the other options removed:

Code: Select all

<event name="ROCK_CRYSTAL_BEACON">
   <text>An ancient device is orbiting within the crystal rings of a nearby gas giant. You can't discern its nature or function, but it seems to have been deactivated for a very long time. Perhaps you can get some scrap from it.</text>
   <choice hidden="true" req="crystal">
      <text>(Crystal Crew) Reactivate it.</text>
      <event>
         <text>Your Crystalline companion says, "It looks like we have found the abandoned link to the Crystal home worlds. I can reactivate it." He transmits some codes to the device and it immediately powers on.</text>
         <item_modify>
            <item type="fuel" min="1" max="1"/>
         </item_modify>
         <choice hidden="true">
            <text>Continue.</text>
            <event>
               <text>Before you can react, the space around you distorts and a wormhole forms. You begin to sound the alarm, but your companion calms you and indicates that you should fly directly into the wormhole. You reluctantly do as he says.</text>
               <secretSector/>
            </event>
         </choice>
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:23 pm

English Narwhal wrote:The event for the Crystal Sector beacon is generated whether or not you have a Crystal crewmember. If you don't have a crystal crewmember, you simply don't see the option to enter the Crystal Sector.

The code says it and I'd like to believe it, but unless the guy is named Ruwen, it won't show up (I'm pretty sure there's a thread that tells you about it)
Ray Robertson

Postby Ray Robertson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:06 pm

Sorry, I meant a quest marker at the beacon with the quest event.

Very simplistically put, the bug means you can get a quest marker displayed at the quest beacon even if you haven't received the quest from the Crystal named Ruwen and potentially not get the quest marker displayed at the quest beacon if you have received the quest from the Crystal named Ruwen but renamed him to something other than Ruwen.

I'll add it to the original post to try and stop further confusion.
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks to this post, I finally unlocked the crystal cruiser (well, technically I've ALREADY unlocked them, but it was the "win with type A and B" of every ship unlock, not the quest.)

Thanks guys