FTL Version 1.02.5 Live [YET ANOTHER UPDATE]

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Azihayya

Re: FTL Beta Patch on Steam

Postby Azihayya » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 am

I read at Crashfixes.com under Problem #20; Faster Than Light (FTL) FPS Fix – Faster Than Light (FTL) Lags, freezes, or has poor FPS performance that tip 4. says "If you’re still using Windows XP, upgrade to Windows 7. Honestly, a lot of users have attested this to be the fastest solution they’ve tried." - I don't recommend you visit the site though, as it's littered with pop-ups & advertisement.

This capitulates the problems that I'm experiencing, where the game is extremely jittery and unresponsive.

Tip 1. states "Usually you can prevent Faster Than Light (FTL) from lagging or freezing by disabling vsync and antialiasing on the Faster Than Light (FTL)’s exe file via the AMD Vision Engine Control Center (AMD/ATI) or Nvidia Control Panel (nVidia)" -which I haven't tried because I don't know how.

and Tip 2. "Alternatively you can stop Faster Than Light (FTL) from lagging via your PC task manager. In Windows 7, press CTRL + ALT + DELETE and click on Task Manager, go to Processes, then right-click on Faster Than Light (FTL)’s respective exe file and set " - didn't make a difference on my performance.

there is also Tip 5. "For more advanced users, try enabling/forcing tripple buffering and V-sync using the D3DOverrider software. Check our Technical References page to download D3DOverrirder / RivaTuner."

so I only assume that terrible errors are associated with using Windows XP, but there appears to be no reprieve for my suffering.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:25 am

CrashFixes.com is not a reliable source for good information. That site will also list a bunch of stuff about updating DirectX, which FTL doesn't even use. They are just dumping generic fixes for video games onto their site to drive traffic to, as you pointed out, a ton of pop ups and ads.

Can you email me a dxdiag dump of you computer? Just go to Start->Run and enter "dxdiag." Then choose "Save All Information" and email me the resulting text file to zasdarq@ftlgame.com
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 am

snakehips, a few more problems cropped up that needed to get fixed. I hope to release the patch very soon to everyone else, within the next day or so. Sorry about the delay.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Azihayya

Postby Azihayya » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:33 am

Oh my God - I just tried the simplest thing and it worked.

FTL was having problems with my dual core processor,

so when I set it to one affinity, it smoothed out.
omphaloskepsis

Postby omphaloskepsis » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:00 am

I tried a couple of games at 1920 x 1200 and 1680 x 1050, with stretching on both. Worked great. Thanks for the update. I actually prefer windowed mode, but I like a little higher resolution than default

Thanks for the patch and a great game!
Icehawk78

Re: FTL Version 1.02.3 Live on Steam [UPDATE]

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Matthew wrote:Additional Game Settings:
  • Within options you can enable paths to be drawn when hovering over a beacon.
  • Dialog keys will now have a brief delay before they are active, this can be disabled within the options.

:O !

Awesome!

Can't wait to try this out.
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Show paths on hover is great

Should be on by default
icepick

Postby icepick » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks Matthew! :D
acqsen

Postby acqsen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:53 pm

1.02.3 - game became unplayable for me - 10 sec lag. Was mostly ok before

Laptop
Tested resolutions 1200x800(built-in screen) and 1024x768 (additional monitor)
Windows XP
Ati Mobiliti Radeon X700
One core Pentium M 2.00GHz proc.
Settings tested: windowed1/0, vsync1/0, frame limit 1/0, streched, black borders: same choppyness

Settings.ini http://pastebin.com/FK7KGRwH
Stdout.txt - file is empty
Dxdiag - http://pastebin.com/awKcPAya
Screenshot from my menu screen - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/ftlchoppy2.png/
------
All now solved with 1.02.4 - thank you
Last edited by acqsen on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
licker

Postby licker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Awesome work there (though I suffered none of those issues, it's great to see them addressed).

Now...

Any word on a speedup setting to just make various 'tedious' combats resolve faster? :D