FTL Version 1.02.5 Live [YET ANOTHER UPDATE]

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
lations

Re: FTL Beta Patch on Steam

Postby lations » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:27 am

Thank you SO MUCH.

Now, I can run the game essentially how it should be run - the game image upscales until it fits the screen (without stretching/distorting the image, I believe) and what's better, my monitor is running it at 1920x1200 (or so it thinks) - meaning that when I exit, it doesn't resize/reposition my windows such as Gtalk, Steam Friends etc.

This was a much needed change, and thank you so much for implementing it.

For the record, my settings.ini looks like this:

#Manual resolution choices - overrides anything in the options
#Set manual to 1 and then change the resolution
#Does not check if values are valid. Use with caution.
#If you do support GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, "stretched" will not function
manual=1
screen_x=1920
screen_y=1200
windowed=0
stretched=1

As you can see, I set the resolution to my native res, and set it to 'stretched', as well as enabling these 'manual' settings by setting it to 1.

I suffer no delay when Shift-Tabbing into Steamfriends, the resolution for the Steam overlay works perfectly without distortion since it's now running in my native res, and there's no readjustment delay each time I alt-tab or close the game.

Once again, thank you so very much
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am

Great to hear it worked for you Lations.

Manual mode should actually be unnecessary for you in this case. The settings you set it to should naturally be the choice for Fullscreen Stretched and a native desktop resolution of 1920x1200.

I apologize again for the inconvenience the previous methods were causing. Hopefully everyone will have a smoother experience now.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Silivrenion

Postby Silivrenion » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:21 pm

It would be great if the patch could be released to people not on Steam. I don't have Steam since I run on linux, and can't really play the game since my screen resolution is less than the requirement. I do play on a friend's computer now and again, but having a serious craving of playing it myself. The public computers at my university don't allow installation of programs without administrative approval, so I'm seeking a "portable" version of the game with all dependencies in the same folder, similar to the linux one.

I've toyed with the idea of running the game in a VM so I can resize the screen down, but I've had technical issues applying that idea.

When can we expect to see the patch available for regular downloaders? I wouldn't mind contributing bug reports as needed.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Silivrenion wrote:The public computers at my university don't allow installation of programs without administrative approval, so I'm seeking a "portable" version of the game with all dependencies in the same folder, similar to the linux one.

Isn't the game set-up that way on Windows? All the DLLs are in the same directory as FTL. I think the only thing it requires which might be problematic on a public computer is write permission to "My Documents\My Games\FasterThanLight". Did you try installing FTL on Windows, and copying the FTL directory to a USB key?

Silivrenion wrote:When can we expect to see the patch available for regular downloaders?

In one thread, the devs mentioned sometime early next week, depending on how well the beta patch seems to solve issues. My personal opinion looking at how many people were happy with the fixes (many) and how many people got new issues (none) is that the patch is fine. As a non-Steam user, I'm also eagerly waiting. :mrgreen:
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Kame

Postby Kame » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Hmm, doesn't this mean that there will be pretty much no testing of the patch on Linux?
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Inevitably yes, apart from the testing done internally by the team. Unfortunately, it seems the Humble Store doesn't have the same capabilities as Steam when it comes to distributing beta version. At best (and I'm not even sure), they could distribute two versions of the game through the store, and let volunteers try the beta.

That said, I'm not too worried. This patch is designed to fix things, and presumably does not rewrite the things that worked. We'll see. :)
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
xpancakes11x

Postby xpancakes11x » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:47 pm

I purchased this game the day it came out and haven't been able to play it due to painfully slow frame rate (Takes me literally 5 minutes to jump after hitting the jump button) I have two computers and have tried it on both.

Computer one has an ancient graphics card (tnt2) and the game runs but has the frame rate issue (I do understand that it might be because of the outdated card)

Computer two has a better graphics card (Geforce) but before the beta update it would finish loading and crash without any popup explaining why it crashed.

Now that I have entered the patch beta computer one still has a frame rate issue but its much better now. and computer two doesn't crash anymore but they both share the same problem. After the game loads the title screen and game itself is a white screen with the words barely visible and things to click on aren't visible at all. The background isn't there at all either. The doors and rooms of the ships are there but the ship itself isn't. It looks very strange...
mogorman

Postby mogorman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I use gnu/linux and don't have access to steam. Is there a way I can get the patch through my humble library or emailed to me?
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:07 pm

xpancakes11x, What resolutions does your monitor support?

Can you please email me a dxdiag dump for your Geforce computer.

Please check your FTL installation folder for the file "stdout.txt" and email me the contents of that as well.

My email is zasdarq@ftlgame.com Hopefully we can figure out what's going wrong, though it sounds like you're under minimum specs in both cases.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
xpancakes11x

Postby xpancakes11x » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:22 pm

zasdarq wrote:xpancakes11x, What resolutions does your monitor support?

Can you please email me a dxdiag dump for your Geforce computer.

Please check your FTL installation folder for the file "stdout.txt" and email me the contents of that as well.

My email is zasdarq@ftlgame.com Hopefully we can figure out what's going wrong, though it sounds like you're under minimum specs in both cases.

Computer one resolutions: 800-600, 1024-768, and 1280-1024

Computer two resolutions: 800-600, and 1024-768.

Give me a minute and I'll e-mail you.