Possible solution to mouse lag problem

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
huskerkurt

Possible solution to mouse lag problem

Postby huskerkurt » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 pm

I just got around to finally starting to play this game yesterday, when I ran into a problem that I discovered was apparently a fairly common one.

I started the game, and it opened in windowed mode, and everything worked fine, but I don't like playing games in windowed mode, so I went to change the setting to full screen. Problem was, none of the full screen settings worked right for me. Native and Streched looked messed up, with most of the main screen not visible, plus the mouse pointer was funky and jumped all over the place. Trying Fullscreen-Borders, the main menu loaded up properly and looked like it should, but I still had the problem with the mouse pointer jumping all over the place and being basically unusable.

After searching, I found plenty of people who had this issue, but none of the solutions I could find worked for me (from updating drivers to tweaking various things in the settings file).

My computer is more than sufficient to run this game, so I knew that wasn't the problem, the only issue I could figure was something to do with the fact that I ran Windows 8 or something related. I was about to give up, when I decided to try one other thing, and ended up finally hitting on the solution.

I run my computer on a 46 inch 1080p TV, rather than a usual computer monitor. Because of this, and the distance I sit from the screen, I've had to use the built in windows settings to up the DPI for icons and such, to make them more visible. This apparently is what was causing the problem with the game.

I went to the game executable, right clicked and went to properties, and then looked at compatibility settings. After some trial and error, I discovered that checking "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" fixed all my problems. Now all full screens modes show properly, and the mouse runs smoothly, just like it should.

Sorry, for the long post, but I thought I would explain my issue, so if anyone else is having a similar one, they can try my solution.