Dead End ingame and No way to Reach the Exit

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Jarwain

Dead End ingame and No way to Reach the Exit

Postby Jarwain » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:36 am

http://imgur.com/a/XMyCR
Album shows you me at each point, because I suspected I wouldn't be able to reach the exit.
There's one beacon I didn't try, the one going down at the first image, but I didn't think it would work seeing as it was far from the exit.

There were absolutely no connections available and that was annoying as heck. >.>
Spazticus

Re: Dead End ingame and No way to Reach the Exit

Postby Spazticus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:31 pm

It appears the beacon closest to the bottom of the map was indeed the correct path to follow. It's not always easy to judge the distances, without taking out a ruler...but that one does appear to have the shortest distance between the nearest beacons to their immediate left.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 pm

A related issue I once had -- I got taken down a dead-end in my first three jumps in a new sector, and had to backtrack. Not only did I waste a lot of fuel, but by the time I got to a zone where I could warp to somewhere I hadn't been yet, the Rebels had caught up to me.

I'm inclined to suggest that the map should not generate dead-end routes more than one zone long.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Derakon wrote:A related issue I once had -- I got taken down a dead-end in my first three jumps in a new sector, and had to backtrack. Not only did I waste a lot of fuel, but by the time I got to a zone where I could warp to somewhere I hadn't been yet, the Rebels had caught up to me.

I'm inclined to suggest that the map should not generate dead-end routes more than one zone long.

I disagree with this, personally (or possibly only enable it in "Easy" mode) - part of the difficulty in some sectors is that the exit node is on a sparsely populated leg of the sector, while the more densely populated area of the sector isn't directly reachable to the exit without significant backtracking.

At that point, it becomes more of a risk/reward calculation - do I go into the denser section to get more scrap/quests/stores, and risk having to backtrack into Rebel controlled airspace to jump to the next sector? Or do I head towards the exit and risk not getting all of the scrap/etc that I could from the sector?

This is more of a feature than a bug, to me, though I can see why it might be frustrating anyhow. A somewhat related request that I've seen, which might help, would be some sort of interface for determining whether or not stars can be jumped between without being at them, which I think would greatly help with the route planning, so that this is more of a situation that you either come to by not paying attention or on purpose, rather than being able to eyeball it but simply misjudge the distance.
bathrobehero

Postby bathrobehero » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Although it's probably possible to get to the exit, but either way I really don't like the way traveling goes.
Why can we only jump to specific locations? Doesn't makes much sense to me.
I think at least there should be an indication (a circle) around the ship which shows how far we can jump. And the length of the jump could be based on the level of the engine.

Even a nice and shiny Random Event button which would take us to the next event would work better than the current jumping on the map system imo.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:32 pm

bathrobehero wrote:Although it's probably possible to get to the exit, but either way I really don't like the way traveling goes.
I think at least there should be an indication (a circle) around the ship which shows how far we can jump. And the length of the jump could be based on the level of the engine.

Even a nice and shiny Random Event button which would take us to the next event would work better than the current jumping on the map system imo.

Realistically, there is a circle that indicates the distance that your ship can jump. You just can't see it. A better option, to me, would be to show, upon hovering over a random star, the connections that you'd be able to travel to if you were at that star. That way you could preemptively plan out a course, rather than having to eyeball it.
klamka.357

Postby klamka.357 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:56 pm

I had almost the same issue but instead of Exit I couldn't reach Quest marker (it was quest for new ship). It doesn't happen very often but is really annoying.
nfiea

Postby nfiea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:
bathrobehero wrote:Although it's probably possible to get to the exit, but either way I really don't like the way traveling goes.

Realistically, there is a circle that indicates the distance that your ship can jump. You just can't see it. A better option, to me, would be to show, upon hovering over a random star, the connections that you'd be able to travel to if you were at that star. That way you could preemptively plan out a course, rather than having to eyeball it.

I agree; hovering over a node should show wihich nodes it connects too; and this would be easy to add

BTW: I assume the jump/beacon thing isn't supposed to be about how fast you can go, but getting somewhere and knowing where you are. Being able to travel FTL isn't useful if you don't have a path you can travel through without hitting things or getting lost.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:27 pm

nfiea wrote:I agree; hovering over a node should show wihich nodes it connects too; and this would be easy to add.

One warning I'd add - while from a user's perspective this seems like it should be easy to add, there's a possibility, based on how the star map was developed, that it would be a much larger/more difficult change than it would appear to the end user. I think it would be very useful and still certainly hope it's added in a later update, but I've certainly been in the situation myself, where a seemingly simple change required a very large effort on my part to fix, due to the underlying system not being at all set up to handle the desired change.
nfiea

Postby nfiea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:
nfiea wrote:I agree; hovering over a node should show wihich nodes it connects too; and this would be easy to add.

One warning I'd add - while from a user's perspective this seems like it should be easy to add, there's a possibility, based on how the star map was developed, that it would be a much larger/more difficult change than it would appear to the end user. I think it would be very useful and still certainly hope it's added in a later update, but I've certainly been in the situation myself, where a seemingly simple change required a very large effort on my part to fix, due to the underlying system not being at all set up to handle the desired change.

One warning i'd add
I'm a compsci student and i don't need you telling me that programming isn't easy

adding lines that show which nodes go together would be a minor change when you consider that the game already knows which ones go together and the game alreay pops up info when you roll the mouse over it.

I get the feeling the only bug fixes done will be fixxing typos in text displayed to the user. I bet even you could handle that