Impossible hit

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
shadowcrust

Re: Impossible hit

Postby shadowcrust » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:01 pm

Could have been like that, but it was Burst Laser hit hit hit, then drone hit and phantom hit. But I'll see if I can get a phantom hit image without drones for more clarity. It's not the worst bug anyway, since it works two ways, on your ship and also on enemy ships, so it balances out.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Tue May 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Some more details concerning the bug, if it is the same bug at all: enemy ship has Ion Blast, Hull Beam and Heavy Laser II installed. I deactivate the Heavy Laser II, which gets moved towards its ship (the deactivation animation). It has not fired. Several seconds later two green Heavy Laser shots appear at my ship's side of the screen, destroying it. These shots have never been fired.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Wed May 21, 2014 7:29 am

Matthew wrote:Hmm. If the game is noticeably slower, then it's probably quite an abnormal frame rate. That could explain it, as that used to cause problems in earlier version of FTL. I'll have to go test my collision code again to see if it would make a difference.

Have you had a chance to look at that? It's hard to find a screenshot that proves it really is an issue, as you need to show the miss rates of your shots so only a series of screenshots would help, and it doesn't happen often enough to just screenshot everything all the time. However, I'm quite closely watching what my shots do most of the time, and the phantom hits appear once or twice in many runs. Admittedly, I'm usually tired when playing and I seem to be the only one having this issue/playing on deprecated hardware, but I'm almost sure it is real.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:42 am

Had the phantom hit again, this time with useful photographic evidence. Slug Light Cruiser with 4 shields, I got Dual Lasers, Hull Laser 1, Ion Stunner and Heavy Laser 1. I've hacked his pilot and managed to damage his weapons before. During Hacking cooldown, I try to get at his clone bay to make way for a boarding party.

First, I fire the Ion Stunner and while it's on the way, I fire Dual Lasers and Hull Laser 1 simultaneously. I see that Ion Stunner misses, and then also get a Miss for at least one of the lasers, so I don't even bother to fire the Heavy Laser 1, as it got no chance to get through the shields.

Suddenly, two damage 1s pop up, and their clone bay goes red. If you look at my weapons, they clearly indicate that Heavy Laser 1 was not fired, and that Ion Stunner was fired first. Enemy shields are not reduced to 3 bubbles, so that confirms that Ion Stunner missed. Now how did my four laser shots do 2 damage against four shields? Impossible hits.

Still on the same old Thinkpad X61.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 am

Once more an impossible hit (against a clone bay again), only the Burst Laser I was fired from the salvo:

Imageupload an imagecertificity.com
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Fri May 26, 2017 1:42 pm

It seems that the shield does not cover the rooms near the border of the shield :?
Image Image Image
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Mon May 29, 2017 7:03 pm

I had another incident with the same Mantis ship type, where a single fired Heavy Laser Mk I damaged the weapons through two shields, and I remember the shot coming from the lower left. I think it depends on the angle of the shot whether the impossible hit is triggered.

Could it be that the clone bay and weapons room are actually coded as 2x2 rooms, but only half of the rooms are displayed? If so, then some parts of the rooms would actually be out of the shield circle. It is conceivable that also the teleporter, engine room and the empty room under doors may be affected by the same issue, if the shot hits in the right angle.