Purchased on steam, how to install on linux

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Stuffy

Purchased on steam, how to install on linux

Postby Stuffy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:34 am

Hello,

first off, I'd like to say that this is a really nice game and I enjoy playing it. But I ran into a problem. I purchased the game yesterday via steam on windows. Today I saw its also available on linux, which is great because I use linux most of the time. But how do I install it on linux if I purchased it via steam?
Carborundum

Re: Purchased on steam, how to install on linux

Postby Carborundum » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:57 am

If you want the Linux version via Steam, you'll have to wait until Steam is released for Linux (assuming Subset adds the Linux version to Steam, which I expect they will), which will probably happen sometime between now and February 2013. In the meantime you could always try it in Wine.
Stuffy

Postby Stuffy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:07 am

No, I dont want the steam version, I want the linux version, but I purchased the game via steam. Do I need to purchase the game again? Because I do not get access to the installer like people (I guess) who purchased it via this website.
DrAcid

Postby DrAcid » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Oh God, I have the same problem.
I've seen Notch tweet about the game, so I've looked it up on Steam, liked and purchased it...

But I had no idea I could purchase the game via Humble Store... (I'm a heavy Humble Bundle supporter, myself) :((

Can You PLEASE PLEASE help us?
Steneub

Postby Steneub » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm in the same situation. Linux is my platform of choice and did not know it was available for Linux as well. How can we verify/validate ourselves so we can get the Linux build as well?
Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Hey guys, I'm in just the same situation.
I should have checked whether there was a linux version before I bought, but I guess I was too impatient and bought it on steam.
I'd rather not have to buy it again for the linux version. Any way I could verify to the devs that I've bought the steam version and get a download link to the linux build?
Thanks!
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Hey guys. Yes, unfortunately our website is the only location to get the Linux version at this time. HOWEVER, Steam is launching a Linux Beta in a month or two (uncertain) and we will be sure to get on as soon as it's possible.

If you have issues you can email me as well (justin [at] ftlgame.com)
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Kapiainen

Postby Kapiainen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:01 am

That is great news. I wanted to buy the game from your website, but I don't have a PayPal/Amazon/Google Checkout account. I hope FTL will be a big push forward for gaming on Linux.
DrAcid

Postby DrAcid » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:42 am

Justin, thanks a lot for everything! ;)
I hope Steam Linux Beta will be open for participation...

I think I'm addicted to FTL now... :ugeek:

BTW, how about and Android version?

P.S.(I've tried to use Steam and FTL with WINE1.4 and PlayOnLinux. It worked flawlessly and was really fast. Did U guys optimize executable for Wine? Amazing work!)
Steneub

Postby Steneub » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Yes, extra thanks for hearing us on this, Justin. You are a credit to the gaming community!