Purchased on steam, how to install on linux

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Patchumz

Re: Purchased on steam, how to install on linux

Postby Patchumz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:57 am

DrAcid wrote:Justin, thanks a lot for everything! ;)
I hope Steam Linux Beta will be open for participation...

I think I'm addicted to FTL now... :ugeek:

BTW, how about and Android version?

P.S.(I've tried to use Steam and FTL with WINE1.4 and PlayOnLinux. It worked flawlessly and was really fast. Did U guys optimize executable for Wine? Amazing work!)

It's built for multiplatform, so Wine runs it like a champ. As opposed to crap games only build for Windows, which might not be done very neatly. (.net, mortal enemy)
El Psy Congroo.
Law

Postby Law » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 am

Kapiainen wrote:That is great news. I wanted to buy the game from your website, but I don't have a PayPal/Amazon/Google Checkout account. I hope FTL will be a big push forward for gaming on Linux.

A note about PayPal: You don't need to have an account with them to make purchases.
Forum mods, for your convenience!
Nisengo

Postby Nisengo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:26 am

No, but it does require a credit card. Which is not something I have, or wish to have.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Law wrote:A note about PayPal: You don't need to have an account with them to make purchases.

I have enjoyed this feature quite a lot in past purchases, unfortunately it appears Paypal has started removing it in some countries, in my case: France. It appears that at least in that country, you have to create an account. :(

I have written a bit more about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2369
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Nisengo wrote:No, but it does require a credit card. Which is not something I have, or wish to have.

Um, silly question - how can you buy things through Steam without a credit card? I thought it was required for that, too. (I assume since you mentioned it that I'm wrong, I was just curious what other options there actually were, since I didn't remember seeing any others before.)

Also, while I'm aware it doesn't directly address your question or necessarily help you now, for future purchases on websites that require credit cards, you can usually also use either a debit card (if you have one) or a prepaid Visa/MC which can be purchased with cash at most places that sell gift cards (and works the same way as a normal gift card - set amount on the card, is a useless piece of plastic after spent). My younger brother has done this for online purchases for a long time, since he wasn't old enough to get a credit card.
omphaloskepsis

Postby omphaloskepsis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm excited for the Linux version. If I'd realized (i.e. researched) the differences of the different versions, I'd have skipped the Steam purchase and come right here.

I bought the game on Steam, played about 10 hours, loved it, then heard there was a non-DRM version with extras on gog. FTL is worth $20 to me, so I purchased a second license from gog. Then I found out the Linux version was available here. Ugh. The last time I purchased a game for Linux was when Loki released Alpha Centauri. The only reason I have a windows box is for gaming, so every good game released on Linux is a big deal to me.