Possible Dual Heavy Lasers II bug

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
GroxGlitch

Possible Dual Heavy Lasers II bug

Postby GroxGlitch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:00 am

I'm not sure if this is truly a bug or the game being a dick, but I was doing a run with the stealth ship armed with two Heavy Laser IIs, a Hull Beam, and two Beam Drones. I found that both the Heavy Laser IIs would fire, but damn near ALWAYS one shot would miss (only about 1/20th of the time did all four actually connect). Here's the part where I'm not sure if this is a bug; I know the weapon accuracy isn't the greatest, but it's odd for it to miss this much in my experience. And it's seldom ever two or three misses, just ONE SINGLE miss. This, of course, made any enemy with 4 shields near impossible to beat due to the fact I could seldom get their shields down long enough to do damage. (That said, using a more effective shield counter weapon would have been better combat-wise, but I'm not bringing up tactics here.)
Wordsmith

Re: Possible Dual Heavy Lasers II bug

Postby Wordsmith » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:30 am

GroxGlitch wrote:I'm not sure if this is truly a bug or the game being a dick, but I was doing a run with the stealth ship armed with two Heavy Laser IIs, a Hull Beam, and two Beam Drones. I found that both the Heavy Laser IIs would fire, but damn near ALWAYS one shot would miss (only about 1/20th of the time did all four actually connect). Here's the part where I'm not sure if this is a bug; I know the weapon accuracy isn't the greatest, but it's odd for it to miss this much in my experience. And it's seldom ever two or three misses, just ONE SINGLE miss. This, of course, made any enemy with 4 shields near impossible to beat due to the fact I could seldom get their shields down long enough to do damage. (That said, using a more effective shield counter weapon would have been better combat-wise, but I'm not bringing up tactics here.)

Likely not a glitch. Enemy pilots and engines get better as the game goes on, thus making it less likely that all of your shots will connect. Having one out of four miss is just about what you can expect.
"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
nfiea

Postby nfiea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Wordsmith wrote:
GroxGlitch wrote:I'm not sure if this is truly a bug or the game being a dick, but I was doing a run with the stealth ship armed with two Heavy Laser IIs, a Hull Beam, and two Beam Drones. I found that both the Heavy Laser IIs would fire, but damn near ALWAYS one shot would miss (only about 1/20th of the time did all four actually connect). Here's the part where I'm not sure if this is a bug; I know the weapon accuracy isn't the greatest, but it's odd for it to miss this much in my experience. And it's seldom ever two or three misses, just ONE SINGLE miss. This, of course, made any enemy with 4 shields near impossible to beat due to the fact I could seldom get their shields down long enough to do damage. (That said, using a more effective shield counter weapon would have been better combat-wise, but I'm not bringing up tactics here.)

Likely not a glitch. Enemy pilots and engines get better as the game goes on, thus making it less likely that all of your shots will connect. Having one out of four miss is just about what you can expect.

by the end of the game only about 1/3 of my shots connect, might have something to do with me using cloaking, but I'm pretty sure the game just likes to be unfair against you
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:27 pm

nfiea wrote:by the end of the game only about 1/3 of my shots connect, might have something to do with me using cloaking, but I'm pretty sure the game just likes to be unfair against you

Looking in the game data, the third form of the final boss has engines of power 6, which adds a 28% dodge chance to the base 5% that manning the cockpit grants.

So, yep - the final boss should literally evade exactly 1/3rd of your shots as long as the cockpit is being manned and the engine isn't damaged.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the weapons have inherent "accuracy" ratings, I think it's purely based upon the target ship's evasion (with the exception of laser weapons, which cannot miss).