Suggestion: More keyboard shortcuts!

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
mrbushido

Suggestion: More keyboard shortcuts!

Postby mrbushido » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 pm

First off, I wanted to say great game! So good I bought it twice (didn't realise there was a linux version doh! gave friend my steam key tho!)

One thing that I've found that detracts from the game is the lack of keyboard shortcuts. Mouse control is a little hit and miss (oh no he's gunna die! get out of there little dude! <opens door> (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻). While I know there's a pause feature, I generally feel that there isn't enough going on for it to be truly warranted. Perhaps if you get solar flared and need to vacuum multiple rooms or coordinate an attack on a large boarding party, but most of the time it feels like overkill.

If you had the time to switch up the control systems, it would be much appreciated. I had something like the following in mind.

Left Click: Select Crew.
Right Click: Move Crew.
Shift+Left Click: Open/Close door. (check box in options to switch it from current behaviour)

F1-F8: Select crew member
1-4: Weapon systems.
5-8: Drone systems.
QWERTYUI: Increase energy to ship system, matches gui layout with full systems (e.g. Q = Shields up, W = Engines up, etc)
ASDFGHJKL: Decrease energy to ship system, matches gui layout with full systems (e.g. A = Shields down, S = Engines down, etc)
Z = Close all doors.
X = Open all doors.
C = Jump.
V = Ship.
B = Store.
chrissphinx

Re: Suggestion: More keyboard shortcuts!

Postby chrissphinx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:58 pm

mrbushido wrote:While I know there's a pause feature, I generally feel that there isn't enough going on for it to be truly warranted.

I pause the game every 3 seconds or sometimes more.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:39 am

We will definitely be adding more hot key functionality. I apologize that it wasn't in the initial release.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
gobaers

Postby gobaers » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Wanted to bump this. Using function keys for crew members would be very handy.

The others look good, but frankly I don't see myself using them.

Great job on the UI as it stands! Very easy to pick up and go.
imbaczek

Postby imbaczek » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:26 pm

OTOH make the game playable using only left-clicking. instant tablet friendliness. will help a lot when laptop/tablet hybrids come along.