Weapons "stop loading up" when enemy ships turn invisible

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
kikito

Weapons "stop loading up" when enemy ships turn invisible

Postby kikito » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Problem description:

My weapons "freeze" when an enemy turns on invisibility.

Extended description:

Say I've got a laser and a missile launcher pointing to an enemy's subsystem (usually the missile goes to the shields, and the laser to the weapons module). I usually leave the autofire on, so that the cannons fire whenever they are ready.

The problem is: when the enemy turns on their cloacking device, my weapons "stop preparing" - their "vertical bar" stop going up. When the invisibility runs off, my weapons start loading up again.

What I think should happen:

My weapons should continue "preparing to fire" while the enemy ship is cloacked. I should be able to fire upon it as soon as it decloacks.

This is a small thing, but I think it is important.

Thanks!

I've noticed that when an enemy ship engages the invisibility device, my weapons "stop loading up" - this is, their "vertical bar" stops going up. When the enemy goes out of invisibility, they continue going up. That looks weird to me.
tyler70

Re: Weapons "stop loading up" when enemy ships turn invisibl

Postby tyler70 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:39 am

Yeah, how would a ship cloaking disable weapons from charging (I think that's the right term, not "loading") up? usually you can charge up weapons but cant deploy attack drones when there isn't an enemy around, but its the opposite if one's cloaked, kinda nonsensical...
Techercizer

Postby Techercizer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:06 am

I've seen it said around here that ship weapons are supposed to stop loading when their target is cloaked. It's a bit odd, but it stops you from getting broad-sided every time you exit cloak, or having the enemy continue to fire at you and hit you with beam weapons while you're running dark.

If it were any other way, cloaking devices wouldn't be very good additions.
tyler70

Postby tyler70 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:17 am

Techercizer wrote:I've seen it said around here that ship weapons are supposed to stop loading when their target is cloaked. It's a bit odd, but it stops you from getting broad-sided every time you exit cloak, or having the enemy continue to fire at you and hit you with beam weapons while you're running dark.

If it were any other way, cloaking devices wouldn't be very good additions.

Fair enough, but it'd be nice if it made at least an EMP effect and had "and sets off an EMP that only effects enemy weapons for the duration of the cloak" in the description to give it a reason why your/their guns stop charging.
quixotecoyote

Postby quixotecoyote » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:00 am

From reading the cloak description, I believe you weapons aren't "charging up" but actually "locking on". I know it's not consistent with the weapon descriptions, but I think the rationale is the cloak disables the lock-on targeting.
Techercizer

Postby Techercizer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:22 am

quixotecoyote wrote:From reading the cloak description, I believe you weapons aren't "charging up" but actually "locking on". I know it's not consistent with the weapon descriptions, but I think the rationale is the cloak disables the lock-on targeting.

Well while we're being realistic, a cloak should reset a weapon's lock-on progress, not freeze it. There isn't really a workable explanation about why this is other than that it's needed for the mechanics. Except of course, for the old standby: nanites did it.
gemeinagent

Postby gemeinagent » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Maybe you could design this as a two-part system: Weapons have a lock-on and a recharge meter. Cloaking resets the lock-on meter but not the recharge meter. Only when both are full, the weapon fires.

This way, ships de-cloaking do not get hit by an instant barrage but it doesnt come off as "it needs to be like this because of playability"

However, this would need heavy testing and balancing. Would open up new possibilities, though (e.g. a homing missile that needs to lock on but not charge the weapon prior to firing, etc.)
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:16 pm

"Realistic" shouldn't be the watch word for game mechanics. You can always make up some reason why things are the way they are.
nfiea

Postby nfiea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:17 pm

icepick wrote:"Realistic" shouldn't be the watch word for game mechanics. You can always make up some reason why things are the way they are.

yes
fixxing the gameplay comes first
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:39 pm

As others have said, this is intentional, not a bug.

I don't think I've seen it said, but another thing to note is that your own cloak has the exact same effect. So if you max out cloaking, you can start a battle, immediately turn on cloaking, and wait for all of your weapons to charge. Once your cloak is dropped, you can fire your first volley (possibly taking out their weapons before they even have a chance to start loading them) and continue charging your second volley while they still try to charge up their first.