Resolution

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Nerem

Resolution

Postby Nerem » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:04 am

Is there no way to play this game in a smaller resolution? My monitor doesn't support the resolution needed to play this game and it's making me very sad.
suttonmitchell

Re: Resolution

Postby suttonmitchell » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:53 am

Even in the settings file in the folder, I can't find a way to edit resolution. If there is one, a dev will respond here with an explanation.
adaba

Postby adaba » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:58 am

My friend bought this game, his maximum resolution is 1024x768 so he cannot play it haha...
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:03 am

I'm very sorry about this. We listed in the system requirements that the minimum resolution is 1280x720 because there is no way to reduce it below that.

If you purchased it directly from our website, I'd be happy to offer you a refund. You'll have to contact Steam or GOG if you purchased it from them.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Nerem

Postby Nerem » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:32 am

Well, I won't be asking for a refund as I can play ok if I increase the resolution as high as it goes and center the screen properly. It's a good game, it's just that the need for a widescreen is bewildering. It'd be nice if you could squish the interface in a little - I don't think the ships need to be quite as large, and they could be pushed in to use up as little screen space as possible. Of course, this would have to be a patch, but I wouldn't mind waiting.

Other people might not be as lucky.
adaba

Postby adaba » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:12 pm

zasdarq wrote:I'm very sorry about this. We listed in the system requirements that the minimum resolution is 1280x720 because there is no way to reduce it below that.

If you purchased it directly from our website, I'd be happy to offer you a refund. You'll have to contact Steam or GOG if you purchased it from them.

Hi I am using my friend's forum account, I really want to play this game and to be honest 9$ isn't that big deal for me, may I know why this game doesn't support resolution below 1280x720? I mean there must be a way to play it on 1024x768 (with any resolution changer program or whatever?), I am so loyal to my 15" LCD screen lol
slyscorpion

Postby slyscorpion » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:23 pm

adaba wrote:
zasdarq wrote:I'm very sorry about this. We listed in the system requirements that the minimum resolution is 1280x720 because there is no way to reduce it below that.

Hi I am using my friend's forum account, I really want to play this game and to be honest 9$ isn't that big deal for me, may I know why this game doesn't support resolution below 1280x720? I mean there must be a way to play it on 1024x768 (with any resolution changer program or whatever?), I am so loyal to my 15" LCD screen lol

I wouldn't mind knowing the technical reasons behind the inability to change resolutions myself. :D

Hopefully this will get addressed one day as I would love to play FTL on the go.
Nerem

Postby Nerem » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:27 am

I'm guessing it's because of how they built the UI and didn't design it to work on smaller screen. You CAN play it on a 1168whatever resolution if your monitor can tolerate that, but it takes some getting use to.
kyuubi43

Postby kyuubi43 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:29 am

I for one would like to know what language this is programmed with simply so that I can GUT their work and fix the damn problem myself. the first thing you learn when programming is how to lock an aspect ratio so that the window will scale equally up and down. the fact they couldn't even do that is somewhat laughable. Granted there is an exception to every rule but for a 2D game it does seem weird that they HAD to have the res. set so high.

Sad thing is if I could just find the damn aspect override option for my GPU I wouldn't have to change anything bacause i'd be able to FORCE the game into the scale I need it to be.

Suggestion for your next game scale it for a lower res. and program it to allow upscaling if it is a 2D game shouldn't be a major issue.

I am sorry for be bluntly rude with my post I just started playing the game and found this issue greatly annoying.
Please forgive this person and his need to vent at something.