Touchscreen support

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
batfasturd

Touchscreen support

Postby batfasturd » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:13 pm

I know it's a long shot but can you please add touchscreen support? There is something about the way the game grabs the mouse cursor that keeps me from tapping on the screen to issue commands. It does seem to work in Windowed mode but the game is not full screen, So I guess a full screen windowed mode would suffice as well. Thank you and I look forward to playing more of the game!
NilesStonne

Re: Touchscreen support

Postby NilesStonne » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 pm

I registered for the forum simply to add a "ME TOO!"

I just got an awesome tablet with touch, and I would love to be able to play the game full screen. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help get this to happen!
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:43 am

Hey guys. It's on a list of todos for a future patch. No ETA on when we'll be putting out another update though. Sorry :(
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Runner

Postby Runner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Necro post I know, I'm just wondering if there is any news on touch screen support?

I have RSI in my mouse hand so if I want to play a game it has to be touch screen compatible, would be awesome if I could add FTL to the list of games that work.
Saint

Postby Saint » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Voting +1 for this one. (sorry for "raising for the dead")
GregDude

Postby GregDude » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Registered to add Me Too.
I look forward to playing this on my Win8 laptop that happens to have touchscreen.
RockPaperBFG

Postby RockPaperBFG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:24 am

I also hope touchscreen support is added so I can play on my Surface Pro.
VRocker

Postby VRocker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:01 am

I would love this game to have touchscreen support. I am currently playing this on my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 and while it runs perfectly (other than the graphics driver sometimes dying - blame Windows 8.1) the touch support is rather naff.
If i run in a window mode the touch is accurate but when I tap it 'clicks' on the last thing the cursor was on which is rather annoying when entering a shop since the cursor usually ends up hovering over 'buy a missile'.

In theory it shouldn't be too hard to add touch support to this game. Assuming the game is written in C/C++ then you would simply need to handle the WM_TOUCH event in the Windows message loop (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 41(v=vs.85).aspx) and pass the coords and the event to whatever event handler FTL uses for mouse events. The game would also need to register for touch events if a touch screen is detected but this is really easy to do on Windows (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 81(v=vs.85).aspx).
This is a simple solution which would not require a full rewrite of the events system in FTL (assuming such event system exists, you would think so due to the game being cross platform) but obviously it would be nice to have proper touch optimisations.

I know some people think that touch isn't taking off on non-mobile devices but it really is. Windows tablets are slowly making their way into peoples homes, laptops are starting to have touch built in and next week the Leap motion controller is released which promises to add 'Touch' support to any machine. I am looking forward to playing FTL with my Leap :)

Please consider what i have said as it would make a lot of people happy :)
iconeo

Postby iconeo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:03 am

Please add touchscreen support.

Thanks.
romwell

Postby romwell » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Registered just to keep this thread alive (i.e. another "me too!" post).

Seriously, playing this on a touchscreen device would be fantastic. I have an Asus T100, and while technically you can interact with the game with a touchscreen, it is not really playable.

In particular, a single tap simply repositions the pointer, so to click you need to double-tap everything. At least that should be an easy fix.

Another easy-to-fix, but important changes would be Pause and Menu buttons somewhere on the screen - Pause is central to the gameplay, and it is not available if the keyboard is not connected.

The right-click (press-and-hold) with the touchscreen is too slow, but anyway - I'm pretty sure that by now you've figured it all out (given that the game is being released on the iPad).

So, this post is primarily to assure the developers that touchscreen support on the Windows camp is eagerly waited for. I'd be happy to re-purchase FTL for touchscreen (if my achievements can be ported ;) )