Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
wonzling

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby wonzling » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:40 am

Did you know that you can cheat in FTL?

ATTENTION: hard cheat incoming, don't read this if it spoils your experience!

You can use the almighty Reload-Spell. If you notice that a fight isn't going your way, you can pause, Alt-Tab out of the game, start task manager and kill the FTL-Process. This way it won't auto-save on quit, and you can restart the game in the system prior to the fight gone wrong.
DON'T: end the task via the application tab in task manager or Alt-F4 out of the game. This way it will autosave.
DO: end the process via the process tab in task manager to circumvent autosave
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Cheating isn't exactly a tip - there's tons of ways to cheat if you're so inclined :P
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
wonzling

Postby wonzling » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Yeah, I guess Save-Scumming, as described here http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Cheats#Exploits, is a similar way to cheat. It isn't really a "did you know you can" like most other FTL tips here.
PiratedChaos

Postby PiratedChaos » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Did you know that the Flagship loses hacking in phase 2, but regains Mind Control in Phase 3?
Won on Hard: All ships! :D
Won on CE Hard: Kestrel A, Engi C, Federation B, Zoltan C, Slug A, Rock B
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Did you know that the Flagship loses hacking in phase 2, but regains Mind Control in Phase 3?

You mean it gains Mind Control in Phase 3. It never has Mind Control in Phase 1 unless you were playing with the Flagship Randomiser mod and it came up.
SelphieSelfie

Postby SelphieSelfie » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:25 pm

WOW these tips are GOLD!!! :D
Why did I not bother to check out this thread before?

Anyway these are what I'd like to share from my limited experience,

Did you know? You probably already know but the enemy crew is pretty stupid.

Have you crew run around their ship to lure them into rooms you're gonna bomb.
Also, make sure to take your time to level up your boarded by destroying other systems while a lone enemy crew member is cowering in another room.
Just make sure to beam them back if the ship is low on hull and you don't have a medbay.
That Smexy Lanius

Postby That Smexy Lanius » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:13 pm

Dirka wrote:When using the heal bomb on your own ship turn off the engines. That way it won't miss.

Bombs that are targeted at your own ship will never miss. So depowering engines is not necessary.
A mantis boarding party? Divert power from life support to the medical bay. Yes, again.
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:58 pm

That Smexy Lanius wrote:Bombs that are targeted at your own ship will never miss. So depowering engines is not necessary.

That wasn't true at the time that was written, but is true now.
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
NovaPixel

Postby NovaPixel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Mindcontrolled enemies count as allies. Your teleporter thinks so too. Mindcontrol an enemy, teleport them to your ship, have 2+ crewmates murder them. Where is your medbay now, flagship crew?
Pelaminoskep

Postby Pelaminoskep » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:40 am

NovaPixel wrote:Mindcontrolled enemies count as allies. Your teleporter thinks so too. Mindcontrol an enemy, teleport them to your ship, have 2+ crewmates murder them. Where is your medbay now, flagship crew?

I love abusing this.

I'll have my main stations manned (Pilot, Engines, Shield and Weapons) and the Doors, otherwise they run off to man these stations (at least Shields). I'll have the O2 room depleted of oxygen. Then mindcontrol an enemy and teleport them back. They'll almost always run to the O2 room and just stand there dying, until they're at about 40%. Then the mindcontrol wears off and they will start attacking the O2, but die before they succeed to do so.

Rinse and repeat.
I am a patient man and a tad cruel. Hehehehe