Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
stylesrj

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:39 am

Then the mindcontrol wears off and they will start attacking the O2, but die before they succeed to do so.

You mean they run for the next room, but the doors are in their way and they die before getting through the first one. :lol:
Pelaminoskep

Postby Pelaminoskep » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:32 am

stylesrj wrote:
Then the mindcontrol wears off and they will start attacking the O2, but die before they succeed to do so.

You mean they run for the next room, but the doors are in their way and they die before getting through the first one. :lol:

Yes!
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Wed May 13, 2015 12:49 pm

If you're really pressed for energy, you can disable Defense Drones right after they have fired, and re-route the energy to engines for higher evasion chance (in case the Drone misses).
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed May 13, 2015 10:23 pm

Dirka wrote:If you're really pressed for energy, you can disable Defense Drones right after they have fired, and re-route the energy to engines for higher evasion chance (in case the Drone misses).

Ditto for shields. As soon as your shields go down a bubble, you can pause, put 2 more power into evade, and then unpause. Just remember to put it back into shields after the volley passes :)

O2 as well. That stuff's overrated. I turn it off all the time in battles.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Thu May 14, 2015 2:25 am

5thHorseman wrote:O2 as well. That stuff's overrated. I turn it off all the time in battles.

Liar! I watch your videos! You waste scrap buying power, when you've got one in O2!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu May 14, 2015 12:10 pm

The Captain wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:O2 as well. That stuff's overrated. I turn it off all the time in battles.

Liar! I watch your videos! You waste scrap buying power, when you've got one in O2!

I should have said, "In the early game when you can't play more civilized."

Though in hard mode I'm frequently turning off my O2 as late as sectors 4 and 5.

(and thanks for watching!)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Thu May 14, 2015 1:02 pm

O2? What's that? The system I always forget to turn back on after battle? :lol:
serpa79

Postby serpa79 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:32 am

Might have been mentioned before but...

-When facing the Flagship, if you're hacked in a vulnerable area (weapons/shield/engine), it's sometimes worth jumping out and back in. As of now the game has a bug where jumping from the final battle will not count against the number of turns until the base is destroyed. In fact it will go into negative numbers with no effect (I've done this as many as five times in one game until the Hack finally landed somewhere benign.

-When boarding, a melee attack on a system will 'save' progressing bar damage during an enemy intrusion as long as one crew member always stays in the room. For example, if you landed two crew onto a Cloning Bay and begin to eat away at it's bar health that, say, takes 5 seconds to break and you only get 4 seconds in before having to fight enemy crew, that 1 seconds left will remain as long as you don't leave the room. Pop out and pop back in and it resets. Teleport new crew to the next room and switch out ones close to death in advance to save the damage.

-When boarding, blast doors once broken through will remain open. This can be especially useful when attacking with the Lanuis. The enemy will flee melee with Lanuis once the O2 leaves the room. By attacking the doors and returning to the airless room the O2 levels will drop in each breached room. An effective way to essentially corral remaining enemy crew.

++On a side note, it would be good to know WHEN the game calculates a ship-to-ship hit. Sometimes I'll borrow power from engines to activate an attack drone and then quickly revert it to avoid a missile. Question is, when does the game factor in the missile's path? Usually I'd add it right before the missile approaches my ship but it could be tabulated the moment it fires. It's worth figuring out as a couple extra seconds of attack-drone can make a difference.
Leylite

Postby Leylite » Sat May 30, 2015 11:47 am

serpa79 wrote:
++On a side note, it would be good to know WHEN the game calculates a ship-to-ship hit. Sometimes I'll borrow power from engines to activate an attack drone and then quickly revert it to avoid a missile. Question is, when does the game factor in the missile's path? Usually I'd add it right before the missile approaches my ship but it could be tabulated the moment it fires. It's worth figuring out as a couple extra seconds of attack-drone can make a difference.

If your shields are up, it's calculated the frame the missile intersects your shield bubble. If they are down (whether that's temporary or from damage), it's calculated the frame the missile passes the center of the room it's aimed at.

--

Speaking of boarding against clone bays, here's another good tip - Often, to save missiles in the early game, it'll be the case that you board two crewmen into the clone bay, kill off all the weak crew, and start punching down the system. Against a level 1 clone bay you can usually eat the bar and destroy the system before anyone revives, but against level 2 this won't work since there are two bars and the first crewman will revive faster.

So, what I like to do once that one crewman revives is to split my boarding party - send one of them into Shields and keep the other one in the clone bay. This draws the new clone out of the clone bay and into Shields (where often a second boarding party can help out if the first guy's nearly dead), and meanwhile the other guy preserves the partial punching progress and can often destroy the system without any help.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat May 30, 2015 12:15 pm

serpa79 wrote:-When facing the Flagship, if you're hacked in a vulnerable area (weapons/shield/engine), it's sometimes worth jumping out and back in. As of now the game has a bug where jumping from the final battle will not count against the number of turns until the base is destroyed. In fact it will go into negative numbers with no effect (I've done this as many as five times in one game until the Hack finally landed somewhere benign.

Holy crap, I didn't know this! In all my games I've never actually suffered a defeat via Flagship destroying Command. It's too risky after all that progress to lose it to something like that.

-When boarding, a melee attack on a system will 'save' progressing bar damage during an enemy intrusion as long as one crew member always stays in the room. For example, if you landed two crew onto a Cloning Bay and begin to eat away at it's bar health that, say, takes 5 seconds to break and you only get 4 seconds in before having to fight enemy crew, that 1 seconds left will remain as long as you don't leave the room. Pop out and pop back in and it resets. Teleport new crew to the next room and switch out ones close to death in advance to save the damage.

It also works with repairs. Having a Drone in a system that's damaged will keep the repair progress

-When boarding, blast doors once broken through will remain open. This can be especially useful when attacking with the Lanuis. The enemy will flee melee with Lanuis once the O2 leaves the room. By attacking the doors and returning to the airless room the O2 levels will drop in each breached room. An effective way to essentially corral remaining enemy crew.

Oh I love doing that... but in practise, if you can starve the crew of oxygen, you can just go in for the kill on the weakened foes.

The hit/miss factor is only calculated once the weapon hits the ship's shield ellipse. So you have as long as it takes for the laser/missile to reach that point to divert power around.