Why doesn't Cloak go off CD after a battle

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.

Moderator: isla

UltraMantis

Re: Why doesn't Cloak go off CD after a battle

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:02 am

Galdred wrote:Lol... Some people are seriously advocating leaving this as is, so that the optimal play is to alt tab and do something else while waiting for O2 and stealth to recharge? That just makes no sense at all.

I think it the ultimate decision should be based on gameplay, not logic or reality. This is my opinion:

In safety ONLY!

FTL drive - instant
Teleporter - instant
Oxygen - normal
Cloak - instant

In danger (enemy ship, solar flare, asteroids)

everything - normal

I never advocated leaving it as it is, i said i was fine with it. Like i said, i like forgetting to recycle the cloak. Maybe it could be optional or based on the difficulty level. My best guess as to why it was done this way in the first place is because the cloak can be very powerfull so some kind of weakness was needed. Or it's part of the game's rougelike-like design philosophy.

In the end once the ship is safe, the engines and cloak might as well recycle, they play no further part. The teleporter i belive is an exception because your crew is in danger on a surrendered/disabled ship that can blow up due to fires etc. So the game cheats in your favor and let's you escape right away.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Darkelve

Postby Darkelve » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:44 am

Actually, one of the reasons (the reason?) why I thought the Teleporter cools down instantly, is because there are situations were you only have a split second to get your crew onboard.

For example: you're boarding an enemy ship, and halfway through they want to surrender, with an offer you just can't refuse (e.g. 8 missiles, 4 drone parts and 22 scrap in sector 1 or 2).

Once you accept, you have a small window of opportunity to beam your crew back. After, the rooms of the ship disappear (you only see the exterior of the ship) and at that point it's not possible to beam them back.

At least, that's how I remember it works.
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Darkelve wrote:Actually, one of the reasons (the reason?) why I thought the Teleporter cools down instantly, is because there are situations were you only have a split second to get your crew onboard.

For example: you're boarding an enemy ship, and halfway through they want to surrender, with an offer you just can't refuse (e.g. 8 missiles, 4 drone parts and 22 scrap in sector 1 or 2).

Once you accept, you have a small window of opportunity to beam your crew back. After, the rooms of the ship disappear (you only see the exterior of the ship) and at that point it's not possible to beam them back.

Apparently you never boarded successfully, since you don't know what you're talking about.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Darkelve wrote:Actually, one of the reasons (the reason?) why I thought the Teleporter cools down instantly, is because there are situations were you only have a split second to get your crew onboard.

Well i dont remember but i think you can take forever if you want. The crew just stays on their ship and all fighting stops. The only danger is in fires or asteroids destroying their ship before you get your people back.

I also cant remember what happens when you beam 2 boarders back to your ship and leave the other two for later. Does the teleporter instantly recharge? It's been so long since i used a 2-person teleporter.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:38 pm

UltraMantis wrote:I also cant remember what happens when you beam 2 boarders back to your ship and leave the other two for later. Does the teleporter instantly recharge? It's been so long since i used a 2-person teleporter.

Yes it does.
Darkelve

Postby Darkelve » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:47 am

EdenNov wrote:Apparently you never boarded successfully, since you don't know what you're talking about.

Actually, I did board succesfully several times:
as a bonus you get extra scrap, sometimes an extra crewmember and sometimes a weapon installed on the ship you boarded.

But I guess I wrongly remembered the thing about boarding your party members back.

I also screwed up many more times, since I'm bad at keeping an eye on different things at the same time.

Return to “Tips, Strategy & Guides”