How does a maxed Engine perform vs a maxed Shield system?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
embair

Re: How does a maxed Engine perform vs a maxed Shield system

Postby embair » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Pretty much exactly what Leem said. If I don't have cloaking, the biggest challenge will be living through surge attacks, and that comes down to evasion more then shields (IMHO). With cloaking to negate surge attacks, maxing shields might be more useful.

But in fact as long as I'm entering sector 8 with L3 shield and 40%+ evasion, I probably won't be maxing any of them, unless i'm drowning in scrap. I'll usually find some other survivability upgrades that feel like they give more bang for my buck (nothing like maxing engines and then get piloting subsystem destroyed by random hit cause you left it at lvl1 :D).
dan 360

Postby dan 360 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:12 pm

I go for a high level in both but favour shields, I find that a evasion of 35% or higher combined with a Shield level of 3 or 4 is the best defense in the game for keeping your ship in one piece,throw the shield recharger in their and it's even better. Of course this can become awkward to keep powered depending on the weapons you get and what damage slips/boards through. Of course the run through where I get spend this much scrap is a bit rare.
Neoviper

Postby Neoviper » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:32 am

I tend towards saving engines for later, as I can usually grab a defense drone at some point if missiles start becoming a problem. Later in the game however, engines become quite essential, especially against the last boss. It takes a lot of the heat off your shield, allowing it to stay up much more of the time. Not to mention the high chance of completely avoiding missiles/bombs.
SleepyMage

Postby SleepyMage » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:47 am

I agree with the idea that it is a matter of progress in the game that dictates which system is more important. Early on, obtaining two ranks in shield is probably the more beneficial decision.

It is true that engines will help you avoid all damage, minus beams and boarding parties, but the two aspects of FTL that make it lack luster in the beginning is that missiles and bombs are less common until you progress through the sectors and shields always do their job against the more common weapon; rather than potentially screw you over with luck.

Which ship you're using changes this a bit as well, of course. The Zoltan ship's forward shield makes evasion make a more sense early on, as does the stealth ship's lack of shield, etc.

After the initial sectors, it becomes a toss up between what you are fighting and the luck you've had. Though, as others have said three shields and 40% evasion are probably all you need in the end unless you have scrap to burn.
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:31 pm

ive beaten the game on normal with 20% evasion.

Shields will protect u from lasers.
Drones will protect you from missiles.

as far as u keep your shields upgraded and a defence drone up you should take very little dmg up to sector 8

If you are talking about boss tacs its a completely different issue.

nonetheless, to the OPS point, defence drones are MUCH more reliable in mitigating missile dmg than dodge. (unless enemy can shoot more than 3 missililes simult. and 4-5 other shots... - reason for which a mark 1 drone is better than a mark 2 as it focuses on missiles: your shields should take care of the rest).

I finished the game with the cystal cruiser (b) with 90% life/hull and without having to repair between the 3 encounters with 2 points in engines, lvl 4 shields and a mark 2 drone.
It is more than enuff to mitigate the boss dmg (boarding the missile hub helps though) so that you are only reallytaking dmg from special abilities in the 2nd and 3rd encounter.
samjones

Postby samjones » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:38 pm

It depends a bit on your situation.

You want shields when:
  • It's earlier in the game, and you can get enough shields that most enemies can't crack them.
  • You have a limited crew, and might have to abandon pilot or engineer.
  • You have drone systems and a defensive drone you can afford (energy and drone parts).
  • You have mostly nickel-and-dime weapons (burst laser, anti ship drone, ion cannons).

You want engines when:
  • You have a Zoltan shield.
  • You have a serious vulnerability (mantis or crystal b, rock a) and might have to run.
  • You have a location quest you're eager to get.
  • You have an item you need to buy.
  • You rely on an all-or-nothing weapon (beams, bombs).

Unless you're dramatically in some of these camps, you want one or the other. Starting engi b should really start with shields. Starting zoltan should really push engines.

The reason shields are better if you do consistent, gradual damage is that, if you damage the enemies weapons and the enemy gets a chance to repair them, the enemies weapons go out of sync, and the computer won't wait to sync them up again. Once that happens, a ship with good shields is far better off than a ship with good evasion.

Unless you have zoltan shields, neglecting shields means taking more risks, but a ship with five engines and good cloak can almost always escape before taking damage. That means you can escape, which means you can afford to hit a store or a quest or both, even if it means you'll have to hit the rebel blockade to get to the exit.
codyrex123

Postby codyrex123 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:53 am

Ok, Think about it, Your engines get depleted alot/sometimes/ when you are exporing ftl, Whether that be by the pirates/thing/ your fighting or if you are just being plain forgetfull on repairing things, (i dont forget lol) So sheilds to 3 then engines up to 30/20 percent. any extra scrap just will help those systumes, Now i let you preview your last arguments. (oh yea, what i mean by it getting depleted by pirates is that sometimes they hack them, i havent seen this happened to sheilding, EVER)
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:20 am

Upgrading engines is the first thing I go for; not just to boost evade, but also to help FTL outta there ASAP when I'm seriously overmatched and/or taking more damage than the encounter is worth. Another layer of shields is next, unless I get lucky at a store or encounter and a really useful weapon is available ...

If you could only pick one, and max it out, it would have to be shields; but getting to 55% dodge and seeing those bombs and missiles flying past or exploding harmlessly outside your hull is a close second. I (usually) skip buying cloaking and try to max both shields and engines within the limitations of my power requirements for weapons, drones and teleporting (Zoltans are worth their weight in gold on my ships!) With four shields and 55% dodge,(and ,ideally, a D Drone I ) we don't need no stinkin' cloaking!
beefinator

Postby beefinator » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:14 am

I've only once gone to quad-shields (on noether in the last sector, because I had just a ton of spare scrap)
Triple-level, always. It's been said before, this is enough to hold off most enemies from beaming. Seems to me like if they're powerful enough to reliably get through 3 shields, 4 shields wouldn't be too helpful.

But also always, I'll try to get 45% evade (40% on the system, plus a double mastered guy manning it). Never higher. You really do need at least 40, just for the 100% security when cloaking. (cloaking is pretty essential, as well, at least in my strategy)

Early game, I'll likely get my evade to 20 or 25, then go for double shields.
erumsey

Postby erumsey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:24 am

1 issue i have with engines is
maxed engines fully powered...
and gets hit with 5 shots in a row...
since then i have always tried to get my shields up to 4. cause ya know... engine uselessness (btw that happened on EASY MODE! EASY MODE PPL!!! :( :( :( )