FTL for Dummies

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
dyno101

FTL for Dummies

Postby dyno101 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Look, I need help.
I have every ship except the mantis A, B, and C and the Slug C. (Yes, I have the crystal ships.) I know how to play. I know cloaking is something I need along with good shields, and getting Flaks And BLII's are better then long-charge, power-sucking end game weapons like a Vulcan. I've played for quite a while.

I haven't won the game. Not once, not on any difficulty. (Yes, I got all my ships through quest.)
HELP ME.
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
stylesrj

Re: FTL for Dummies

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 11:07 pm

To unlock the Type C, don't you need to win the game with the Type B or is it just reach Sector 8?

Because if you can do that, I'd like to know how are you tackling the Flagship?

Here's how I'd do it:

1) Board the Missile Launcher. Kill crew, disable Missile Launcher.
2) Board Ion Cannon. Kill crew, disable ion gun.
3) Board Beam Emitter. Kill crew, disable beam.
4) Reduce power to engines, keep shields at level 3. You've got the Flagship at your mercy and you've got a massive amount of power to work with because you don't need to evade those three shots.
5) If you have Hacking, Hack medbay. Board medbay, let enemy inside (power down Hacking). Power up and activate Hacking and laugh.
6) Destroy Medbay
7) Move out! Destroy the Hacking, go for Doors, go for Shields. Kill all crew except the guy in laser. He'll remain helpless
8) Once you're done, return all crew to your ship and start shooting.
9) Phase 2. Board missiles. Board Drones, board Beam. In that order. That enemy boarding drone might as well not be there as all it takes is 1 point of damage to Drones to disable it.
10) Go for shields!
11)Return crew and start shooting!
12) Phase 3. Counter mind control with mind control if you have it or try to ignore it.
13) Shoot supershield with everything you have.
14) Board missiles, then board Mind Control and hope it goes down before someone gets compromised
15) Go for shields.
16) Return all crew and start shooting!

Victory may not be guaranteed
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:34 am

I'd love to post my strategy, but there's one major problem:
I DON'T MAKE IT TO THE FLAGSHIP.
Edit: And also, I'm not lucky. I can't consistently get those systems, and although I have the crystal B(est) I'm still not very good.
"Blamsauce!"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 30, 2016 12:52 am

Wait...
You get to Sector 8 and you don't make it to the Flagship?
How else did you unlock those Type C's if you don't make it to Sector 8. What are you doing in Sector 8 to get yourself killed then before the Flagship?

Maybe you could do a video run, see how far you get. Either the LP curse strikes and you die early-on or the LP-Blessing strikes and you get your first victory.
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:49 am

When I made it to sector 8, I would either:
1. Quit to try my new ship, although I am justified in doing that when getting to sector 8 with the Engi B. (IT TOOK ME SO LONG.)
2. Make it to the flagship and die because I just barely made it to sector 8 by running and nearly dying.
I was an achiever, not a winner, so I unlock ships as priority, not win. As you replied, I was going for a good run with the Crystal B. I was going good, but I lost to the fleet because the route I had to take went straight on the top and then directly down to the exit, making it hard to avoid the fleet.
Also, THE RNG HATES ME.
I constantly ran into asteroid fields and Zoltans and Suns with Drones on my FIRST JUMP. I restarted 2 or 3 times before getting a good first jump.
Edit: I could record, but because of my 20G a month of Wi-Fi (YES, IT SUCKS) I wouldn't upload it. I do have a channel.
"Blamsauce!"
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:51 am

stylesrj wrote:To unlock the Type C, don't you need to win the game with the Type B or is it just reach Sector 8?

Because if you can do that, I'd like to know how are you tackling the Flagship?

Here's how I'd do it:

1) Board the Missile Launcher. Kill crew, disable Missile Launcher.
2) Board Ion Cannon. Kill crew, disable ion gun.
3) Board Beam Emitter. Kill crew, disable beam.
4) Reduce power to engines, keep shields at level 3. You've got the Flagship at your mercy and you've got a massive amount of power to work with because you don't need to evade those three shots.
5) If you have Hacking, Hack medbay. Board medbay, let enemy inside (power down Hacking). Power up and activate Hacking and laugh.
6) Destroy Medbay
7) Move out! Destroy the Hacking, go for Doors, go for Shields. Kill all crew except the guy in laser. He'll remain helpless
8) Once you're done, return all crew to your ship and start shooting.
9) Phase 2. Board missiles. Board Drones, board Beam. In that order. That enemy boarding drone might as well not be there as all it takes is 1 point of damage to Drones to disable it.
10) Go for shields!
11)Return crew and start shooting!
12) Phase 3. Counter mind control with mind control if you have it or try to ignore it.
13) Shoot supershield with everything you have.
14) Board missiles, then board Mind Control and hope it goes down before someone gets compromised
15) Go for shields.
16) Return all crew and start shooting!

Victory may not be guaranteed

It's just sector 8.
"Blamsauce!"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 30, 2016 2:35 am

1. Quit to try my new ship, although I am justified in doing that when getting to sector 8 with the Engi B. (IT TOOK ME SO LONG.)
2. Make it to the flagship and die because I just barely made it to sector 8 by running and nearly dying.
I was an achiever, not a winner, so I unlock ships as priority, not win. As you replied, I was going for a good run with the Crystal B. I was going good, but I lost to the fleet because the route I had to take went straight on the top and then directly down to the exit, making it hard to avoid the fleet.
Also, THE RNG HATES ME.
I constantly ran into asteroid fields and Zoltans and Suns with Drones on my FIRST JUMP. I restarted 2 or 3 times before getting a good first jump.

Try to avoid as much conflict as possible in Sector 8 then. Time your guns and boarding parties better?
If you have a lot of Crystals onboard, you shouldn't encounter too many problems with enemy ships. Lock down a 2x2 room (like shields), kill everyone inside and destroy the system, then teleport the Crystals back and unload your dakka.
A useful hotkey for quicker lockdowns is "P". Don't use them all at once though. Time it so when the barrier is like really thin, throw another one.

Don't be afraid to restart if your first jump sucks. Not worth your time losing or taking a lot of damage to your entire ship from the first encounter.

Edit: I could record, but because of my 20G a month of Wi-Fi (YES, IT SUCKS) I wouldn't upload it. I do have a channel.

20GB a month is the new dial-up.
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon May 30, 2016 3:06 am

stylesrj wrote:
Also, THE RNG HATES ME.

Try to avoid as much conflict as possible in Sector 8 then. Time your guns and boarding parties better?
If you have a lot of Crystals onboard, you shouldn't encounter too many problems with enemy ships. Lock down a 2x2 room (like shields), kill everyone inside and destroy the system, then teleport the Crystals back and unload your dakka.
A useful hotkey for quicker lockdowns is "P". Don't use them all at once though. Time it so when the barrier is like really thin, throw another one.

Don't be afraid to restart if your first jump sucks. Not worth your time losing or taking a lot of damage to your entire ship from the first encounter.

20GB a month is the new dial-up.

Thanks. And the 20G we do have is slow.
"Blamsauce!"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 30, 2016 3:11 am

Like I said, it's the new dial-up.
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon May 30, 2016 3:57 pm

stylesrj wrote:Like I said, it's the new dial-up.

I thought Dialup was a good thing.
"Blamsauce!"