Whats The Worst Ship in FTL?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Tetragon213

Re: Whats The Worst Ship in FTL?

Postby Tetragon213 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:13 pm

My 5 most hated:
5) Mantis C - Terrible crew, terrible weapons, terrible layout and it does a huge dis-service to the greatness of the Mantis B and it's near-immortality. There is nothing good going for this ship. NEXT!
4) Zoltan C - You get 2 reactor power. Enough said. Better hope you kill 'em quick and don't get boarded, or you are as dead as a dodo. Boarded? Boom! No power for you! Backup Battery ran out? Boom! No power for you. Ion storm? Bo-- wait, that's one of the only good things about this ship. This ship sucks. NEXT!
3) Slug B - Never Again. No medbay in a 'boarding' ship, and it has nowhere near enough missiles. They should have given it an Explosive Replicator to at least give you a chance. Plus your crew are very meh as boarders. NEXT!
2) Federation C - Dear god why... You have no weapons other than a terrible version of a Flak II which is already a bad weapon. Your crew suck as boarders and the general idea of this ship is incredibly unsound. As in, sacrificing your queen for a knight without any positional advantage unsound. This ship is a huge disappointment when compared to the Fed A and the beam which could destroy every ship in the game... eventually.
1) Unstealth C - Kill me. Kill me now. Very, very meh weapons, pretty bad crew balance and no Cloaking (ON A "STEALTH" CRUISER?!) or a shield. You get a terrible Drone which does absolutely nothing since it's so damn slow, and virtually nothing else. There is almost no concept behind this cruiser. If it had a hacking device, then we'd be talking, but the drone bay isn't enough on it's own. They would have been better off giving it 2 Shield+ Drones that costed 1 power each, so you had reasonable defenses.

-Dishonorable mention goes to the Shrike. It may just be my luck, but I've tried probably 30+ times on hard and still have never won. To put this into perspective, I've managed to win with the Unstealth C already.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri May 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Tetragon213 wrote:-Dishonorable mention goes to the Shrike. It may just be my luck, but I've tried probably 30+ times on hard and still have never won. To put this into perspective, I've managed to win with the Unstealth C already.

The Shrike is the best ship in the game. You're just not using it correctly :P
Leylite

Postby Leylite » Fri May 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Mantis C, Zoltan C and Slug B are a bit awkward to use, and pretty difficult to play even when you "know how to play them", I'll grant that.

But the Mantis C's layout is amazing. It's a bit large of a ship, but it has amazing venting, amazing boarder redirection, and the clone bay is nice and close to the 4-man teleporter. Your weapons, shields, and teleporter are all also nice and close together, meaning your Engi or other repairmen can repair your stuff easily.

Even if boarders land in piloting, you can vent them out of there really easily and then re-man the piloting in no time flat.
Tetragon213

Postby Tetragon213 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:53 am

stylesrj wrote:
Tetragon213 wrote:-Dishonorable mention goes to the Shrike. It may just be my luck, but I've tried probably 30+ times on hard and still have never won. To put this into perspective, I've managed to win with the Unstealth C already.

The Shrike is the best ship in the game. You're just not using it correctly :P

How the hell do you use that hunk of scrap?! I always die before S4 using that stupid thing!
To be fair, my Unstealth C run involved a Holy Crap with a BL2, while my DA-SR-12 run started with a surrender involving a Pre-Igniter! (!) of all things :lol: Yeah, that was easy :twisted:
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 09, 2016 10:35 am

Tetragon213 wrote:How the hell do you use that hunk of scrap?! I always die before S4 using that stupid thing!
To be fair, my Unstealth C run involved a Holy Crap with a BL2, while my DA-SR-12 run started with a surrender involving a Pre-Igniter! (!) of all things :lol: Yeah, that was easy :twisted:

How do you use it? Properly of course :P

The Lanius board the enemy ship in the Shield Room. Mind Control the shield guy so the enemy all moves into the room. Move your Lanius into Weapons. Hopefully the enemy's missile is damaged before the MCed shield guy is killed by their friends. The Flak does the damage if you don't want to clear out enemy crew.
Unlike the Carnelian, the Shrike can handle any foe right off the bat.

You should check out my older videos on how to use the Shrike.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Mon May 09, 2016 12:07 pm

athorist wrote:Yeah, but it's really inefficient to only get 4 shots from 4 power bars. I found a hull beam, but because I only had 3 other shots, it's not very reliable against 2 shield layers.

*puts crazy face on* stahp you ist insulting my dignity!
Red tail is wrecktail! you gets many experience for gunner if you go veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrry aggressive tactic I.e. KILL EVERY DAMN SHIP YOU CAN FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ahhh. I really wanted to go on a stupid face rant about ftl ships. I'd probably go for the 'unstealth C,' as styles calls it, since the shield overcharger generates one shield barrier every 7 @#$&%#^ seconds!!! and also, it has clone bay. very unhelpful if you want to heal crew straight away. the only way to do that is to put your crew in a airlock and clone them back. charge laser is worse than the dual laser, requiring 11 seconds to even damage tier 1 shields (my strategy with killing ships is to take shields down by damaging them, and in a last resort, taking them down, so my more powerful weapons i.e. beams, heavy lasers, ce artillery lasers, light lasers etc can get through and thoroughly batter the enemy ship) and is totally useless compared to duals. also: there is a large gap (in a nerds mathematic strategy to taking ships down) between each shot. it fires each shot with a delay of about a second, unlikedual lasers or bursts. sometimes, I hate ae content.
I may have a way to make you eat your greens... i mean like the red tail... be back in an hour or so. gotta superluminal the shitakke mushrooms out of something.
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Mon May 09, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm back! just a red tail except with heavy lasers *cough* definitely heavy lasers *cough*
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5e8m3 ... k-tail.ftl
try it.
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
Tetragon213

Postby Tetragon213 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:56 pm

stylesrj wrote:
How do you use it? Properly of course :P

The Lanius board the enemy ship in the Shield Room. Mind Control the shield guy so the enemy all moves into the room. Move your Lanius into Weapons. Hopefully the enemy's missile is damaged before the MCed shield guy is killed by their friends. The Flak does the damage if you don't want to clear out enemy crew.
Unlike the Carnelian, the Shrike can handle any foe right off the bat.

You should check out my older videos on how to use the Shrike.

Did not know you could do that with the shields! Man, the AI in this game is dumb :roll:
My worst memory of a Shrike run roughly went
J1: Mind Control ship with 2 missiles
J2: Zoltan Shielded enemy ship... with Mind Control again?!
J3: Slug Ship with... oh for god's sake. Mind Control AGAIN?! *Restarts*
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 09, 2016 7:17 pm

There's a bit of skill behind the Shrike but if you keep it maintained and use the crew to your advantage, it will become really powerful.

Ok, I mostly like it for the fact that it can take on both AI ships and regular ships right off the bat which is a constant and infuriating problem that constantly occurs with the Carnelian and the Basilisk (which are also my favourites but really not the best ships considering FTL means "Fuck This Luck")
Tetragon213

Postby Tetragon213 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:28 pm

stylesrj wrote:There's a bit of skill behind the Shrike but if you keep it maintained and use the crew to your advantage, it will become really powerful.

Ok, I mostly like it for the fact that it can take on both AI ships and regular ships right off the bat which is a constant and infuriating problem that constantly occurs with the Carnelian and the Basilisk (which are also my favourites but really not the best ships considering FTL means "Fuck This Luck")

Strangely enough, I actually prefer those 2 over the Shrike, mainly because the 4 Man pad is a huge "F*ck You" to any non-auto ship. But the ability to take out Auto-ships is certainly a useful one. I just wish it had a fourth member of crew to man the weapons or something. That engi gets lonely :lol: It also helps when RNGesus decides "you know what? Let's damage the clonebay, the teleporter AND the O2 at the same time!!" and you end up getting roflstomped because you can't fix everything at the same time!

Come to think of it, the second worst run I ever had involved the Carnelian. Asteroid field, Crystal Vengeance, all my crew on the enemy ship. Fill in the blanks :shock: