Ships!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
tacoguy339

Ships!

Postby tacoguy339 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:46 am

I've been playing FTL for a long time now, and I have a lot of ships. I have-
Kestrel A,B,C
Engi A,B,C
Zoltan A,B,C
Federation Cruiser A,B,C
Mantis A
Stealth A
Rock A
Crystal A

I need help getting the other ones (both ships and variants). I've heard that Crystal B is insanely powerful, and I'm dying to try it. Slug ship I'm not really looking forward to, but I want a full set. And then we get to the Mantis (screw you Rock, Stealth). I've killed and killed, but have never gotten the achievement where you kill 20 ships' crew. And don't even start with battle royale. And avast ye scurvy dogs is hard to find the chance. I would really like the type b, because of that 4 person teleporter. Any suggestions?
"Thanks for the tank. HE never gets me anything. Oh, I know what the ladies like."~Sgt. Avery Johnson, UNSC Marine Corps
tacoguy339

Re: Ships!

Postby tacoguy339 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:16 am

And another thing- I just got Sweet Veangance for the Crystal Cruiser, but is the clash of the titans achievement cumulative, or is it all in one run?
"Thanks for the tank. HE never gets me anything. Oh, I know what the ladies like."~Sgt. Avery Johnson, UNSC Marine Corps
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri May 15, 2015 3:46 am

tacoguy339 wrote:And another thing- I just got Sweet Veangance for the Crystal Cruiser, but is the clash of the titans achievement cumulative, or is it all in one run?

Has to be done in one run and it's a real bitch to achieve. I haven't even unlocked it for the iPad or PC versions of my game and I've even done a long CE Infinite run with a Crystal cruiser where I clearly destroyed more than 20 Rock ships (although CE probably didn't count the custom Rock ships as for the achievement).
It's very hard to find 20 Rock ships throughout an entire run, even if you go through a Rock sector or two.

You're better off trying to get 4 enemies locked into a room with the Crystal crew. Shouldn't be too hard.

As for the other ships, the Slug Type A and B aren't that great but if you get through them, you'll unlock the Type C which is awesome (hacking and mind control! Just add a cloak or a teleport and you're in the business!) Although you've forgotten the Lanius ship. The Type A isn't grand but Type B is hands-down the best ship in the entire game!

Battle Royale is easy enough to get. Kill the enemies down to one guy, kill all your crew except 1 guy, kill enemy, get achievement and then restart. The Mantis B is awesome.
tacoguy339

Postby tacoguy339 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:06 am

Ah, yes. The Lanius. I remembered it after I woke up today. The Lanius (both A and B) was the ship I used to get both the Rock Cruiser and Mantis Cruiser. Now that I think about it, it would be easier to just use their lockdown ability to get the Crystal B...
tacoguy339

Postby tacoguy339 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:20 pm

Yay! I got Crystal B!

I was in a nebula, when all of a sudden, I "heard an odd sound coming from a space station, and teleportation readings." Four guys had teleported to me, and they all went to the same room, WITH MY CRYSTAL GUY. I locked down, got the achievement, watched my crystal guy die, and went to the hanger. While it has an...interesting set of starting systems, they are the most important systems, and you get them for free. Thanks for all of the help, will check back when I get Mantis B or need more help.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat May 16, 2015 1:57 am

tacoguy339 wrote:Yay! I got Crystal B!

I was in a nebula, when all of a sudden, I "heard an odd sound coming from a space station, and teleportation readings." Four guys had teleported to me, and they all went to the same room, WITH MY CRYSTAL GUY. I locked down, got the achievement, watched my crystal guy die, and went to the hanger. While it has an...interesting set of starting systems, they are the most important systems, and you get them for free. Thanks for all of the help, will check back when I get Mantis B or need more help.

Of course, Lanius B is the best of them all. Versatile and has Lanius.
tacoguy339

Postby tacoguy339 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:24 pm

I finally realize why the Crystal B is referred to as broken. A 4 person teleporter, cloaking, and three crystal beings to lock down rooms? Sweet! Those pesky medbays are no problem for me now. Beat the flagship for my second time in 171 tries with it. So proud of myself. Also, I just recently got FTL for pc. After much tension, it loaded up and worked, even though intel processors aren't officially supported. So glorious on a big screen! It's hard to go back to Ipad, especially because it makes the beacons look all bunched up.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 27, 2015 10:38 pm

The Crystal B and Mantis B to some extent are the best boarding ships. But personally, I think they're not the best ships overall. if your first few jumps are Zoltan shielded or automated, you're up the creek without a paddle.

To face a Zoltan ship you need a gun to remove the shields. Not easy to come by if you have no money (although you could sell those useless augments you start with). To face an automated ship you need a Clone Bay to prevent loss of life or a bigger gun to do some real damage.
That's money spent not going to a second layer of shields or a better engine.

The Lanius B on the other hand... the crew is far superior to Mantis, comes with a Clone Bay and the gun can take down Zoltan Shields easily and take care of automated ships.

You'll be all set for the early-game with the Lanius B and automated ships become a bunch of jokers.
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:47 am

For getting the slug ship, get that slug crewmember or sensors lv. 3 fast. That slug home nebula can come any time once you're past the first 3 sectors and you want to have the requirements by then.
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"