Alternative start with Simo-h

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Mendel

Alternative start with Simo-h

Postby Mendel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:02 pm

So I´ve been trying to win with Simo-h on hard for a while. At first I kept trying to first get shields and/or cloak and then go on from there.

However, I find that by the time I manage to get shields up, my weapons will hardly be able to damage the enemies anymore and I will die before I get my weapons system upgraded and find/buy a good weapon. I rarely got beyond sector 3

So I decided to take an alternative plan. Go weapons first!

So what I´m now trying is, I upgrade weapons system to level 5 (while having only the shield charger drone for defence) and either use any weapons drop or buy one weapon to use with the starting weapons. The idea is to damage the enemy weapons system before they manage to fire more than once or at all. Another laser charger works well for this but almost any fast charging weapon will likely do the trick... and then get the shields or cloak AFTER the weapons are good.

One game I even found a hull repair drone and drone recovery arm which helped a *lot* and I got all the way to flagship... but I had made a grave error in trusting the recovery arm too much and I actually sold some of my drone parts to an event buyer... so I ran out of drone parts and died on what would otherwise have been easy flagship fight.

I´m doing the same thing again now and its looking good...

So what´s your strategy for building a formidable simo-h and winning with it?
OC2142

Re: Alternative start with Simo-h

Postby OC2142 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Profile Editor-4 PDS shot :twisted:
I'm kidding, I'm kidding. What I usually do is go for shields first and dump all the useless shit for shields i.e. the Overcharger (it's just far too slow) and the Anti-Drone-Drone. You can get shields reasonably quickly that way. Then you get whatever weapon you can get (if you need to, get rid of that god-awful minibeam)