When you kill the end boss crew [Spoiler]

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
SlyTheFoxx

When you kill the end boss crew [Spoiler]

Postby SlyTheFoxx » Mon May 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Just don't even bother attempting to kill all the crew members. In combination with my tier3 mind control, tier1 teleporter with 2 full fighting skill mantis. Blaster ll, Fire Beam, Breach ll and Small bomb l... I was quickly able to dispatch the main 4 weapons...

Killing the rest of the crew members was also relatively easy. Thinking I would get an early victory I was faced with the message "It appears this ship is also equipped with an advanced AI system. Now that the crew is dead, it has taken control!"

Slowly but surely the outer weapons started to repair in the rooms that wasn't breached (Extremely slow).

I finished off the first part of the fight and survived the second part easy enough, but my little ship just was not equipped to handle that huge zolton shield in the last fight... So crew less ship kicked my ass. This now tops the weirdest way to die.

When i got the "Trustworthy AI" achievement is now on my 2nd weirdest way... (Solar flare destroyed my teleporter so i couldn't rescue my crew members from the enemy ship, probably shouldn't have attempted this achievement near an exploding star.)

All in all... This was a failed strategy in beating the end boss.
Dirka

Re: When you kill the end boss crew [Spoiler]

Postby Dirka » Tue May 27, 2014 4:55 pm

SlyTheFoxx wrote:Just don't even bother attempting to kill all the crew members.

Huh. Me, personnally, I think that burning the Boss to death is one of the more fun ways to win the game. Even with that setup, you should be able to pick away at the Supershield, as beams and bombs damage it as well. As soon as its down, port the Mantis over to take down the shields (or split them to take out the rockets as well), and light'er up with the fire beam. You can even set the weapons on fire and wait, since the advanced O2 won't let the fire extinguish itself, and the flagship will keep repairing the weapons, only for them to explode again. To hurry the process along, your Mantis can run around the main ship and wreck stuff. Just leave the O2 alone, and you're golden.

All you have to worry about from there on is the power surge, which shouldn't be too much of a problem with decent evasion and shields.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue May 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Ah, memories. One of my first 25 losses (I won on my 26th playthrough) was where I realized an "exploit." I can just kill the Flagship's crew! Duh! I threw my entire crew at theirs after taking out the medbay. I lost my mantises. I lost my humans. I think I even had a slug that died. They had one very hurt guy left and the only guy left on my ship was my engi who was piloting. Well, this is for glory, Mr Engi, get in there!

I learned a very hard lesson that day: There are no shortcuts with the final boss. Turns out that's not strictly true, but the shortcuts aren't as simple as you think they are :)

I also love burning the flagship to death. hack 3, ion and ion 2, and 2 fire beams is one of my more memorable hard mode wins.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
qqqbbb

Postby qqqbbb » Wed May 28, 2014 11:19 am

When I fought final boss with crystal ship B his super shield reappeared after I destroyed it. Is this supposed to happen?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed May 28, 2014 1:55 pm

qqqbbb wrote:When I fought final boss with crystal ship B his super shield reappeared after I destroyed it. Is this supposed to happen?

Yup. Every 4th or 5th* "power surge" is a new zoltan shield instead of a superlaser burst. Just one of the many things the Flagship can do that you can't. :)

Though when you're good, you'll rarely see it. ;)

*Or so. I don't remember exactly because he's usually dead by the time he'd get to putting it up :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
slattikarma

Postby slattikarma » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:07 am

On Hard, I think fire and hacking is now a much stronger strategy than on normal, where it is considered a fun and wicked way to win, but not the most effective. However, on hard, you need to be able to counter or reduce the enemy's ability to quickly repair the missile room, and nothing completely screws that up like a Level 3 hack to the shields room, followed by a few fire bombs or fire beams to the shields, pilot and missile room. The enemy can't get to the missile room without breaking a few hacked doors, nor can it easily heal its guys who are fighting the fire. If you have mind-control, the situation becomes out of control as the enemy is busy fighting the mind-controlled guy and cannot put out the fires. Quick way to kill lots of the crew and keep the missile bay out of action.

You are then able to feel much more in control, like in Normal mode when you just took out the isolated weapons room and their gunners, and then didn't have to fear any further attacks.
A_N00B

Postby A_N00B » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 am

When dealing with the flagship I usually try to wipe out the crew on stage 1 leaving only the guy manning the heavy laser standing. Quick note, maxed hacking and hacking stun in tandem will kill every body in the medbay, a trick that lets me clear the ship with ease.
Leylite

Postby Leylite » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:59 am

A_N00B wrote:Quick note, maxed hacking and hacking stun in tandem will kill every body in the medbay, a trick that lets me clear the ship with ease.

You don't even need the Hacking Stun - just damage the medbay once (to lure people in there), de-power the hacking drone to allow them to come through the doors, then re-power and hack the medbay. This means they don't bust through the doors and pry them open, and instead are trapped in there with sealed doors.
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:09 pm

Yup, that's pretty much my standard M.O. whenever I happen to pick up hacking. At least if I also have something (teleport, MC, bomb, missile, ...) that allows me to neutralize the weapons. Otherwise it's pretty much hacked shields for a quick takedown.

I find it absolutely hilarious how the boss crew keeps walking into the medbay-come-deathtrap one after another: "Hmm, the last five guys who went to fix the medbay didn't come back. I'll better go take a look. Alone." :lol: