what is the ion damage duration

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
DarkenDragon

what is the ion damage duration

Postby DarkenDragon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:48 pm

ok so ion weapons will disable 1 bar per shot I think for 1 rotation per ion damage

is this correct? and how long is 1 ion damage?

with the engi cruiser and it's ion burst II, the duration seems to be longer than the weapon's fire rate. which is 4 seconds and so the duration seems to be about 5 seconds per rotation. is this correct? has anyone actually timed it?

and how does ion damage work? cuz I've seen an ion bomb cause the system to have 4 rotations but I forget if it effected 1 or 4 bars. but I believe it was 4 bars.
Sacarathe

Re: what is the ion damage duration

Postby Sacarathe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Try level 3 sensors, then you can find the answers yourself :)
BigD145

Postby BigD145 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Time is entirely dependent upon the skills of the crew. I assume this is variable.
Xraal

Postby Xraal » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Only the rate of fire is variable.

The time each pulse is active once they have landed is the OP's question.

And I'd like to know too. If you hit a shield directly, that "layer" is unavailable until the time passes.

If you hit a system module directly, then 1 level is disabled until that pulse dissipates.

With only the level 2 ion thing on the Engi, I managed to disable 1 level of 4 different systems. This was with two 15% speed augments and a maxed out gunner, so clearly I was firing fast enough to layer 4 hits in the time it took the first to dissipate.

Knowing the exact time though would allow even more aggressive "dancing" in some cases. When hitting multilevel systems it is often an advantage to just keep pummeling. :-)

For example, targeting the enemy weapons array will impact both shield and weapons, both multiple layers so just keeping firing can be a good option.
redstonetorches

Postby redstonetorches » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:48 am

Sorry for resurrecting a dead topic, but one one ion damage lasts 5 seconds, 2 damage lasts 10 seconds, etc...
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do things that I probably don't need to be doing.