Mod-Section in the FTL-forum

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.

Mod-Section in the FTL-forum

by Alblaka » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Since this is not strictly linked to the FTL as a game itself, but to it's forum's structure...

Please add a "Modding" section to the forum. There are already a few threads popping up in the "Discussion" section and I pretty much assume this game to be flooded with mods in near future, given the easy script language and the already existence of above-average Modding Tools.
Greetz,
Alblaka
Alblaka

Re: Mod-Section in the FTL-forum

by icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Well, considering there's no official modding tools, and the current stuff is all unsupported (and probably copywrite breaking) hacks, I'd doubt we'll see this in the mean time. Maybe, though.

Hopefully we'll see at least some official mod support patched in long-term, though.
icepick

by boa13 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Still, the modding is happening, and the modding threads are filling up the general discussion subforum, so it would be good housekeeping to create a dedicated subforum for that.

By the way, as long as a mod does not distribute assets from the game, but new assets created by the modder, and as long as the patching of the resource files is done by the user himself and the result is not distributed, I don't think there is copyright violation. Surely, the warranty is void and the resulting product is unsupported, but I think it's legal.

The devs would have already issued a statement if they were against modding, and would certainly have chosen a more secure resource file structure, rather than the pretty easy format they are using.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
boa13

by marksteele » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:09 pm

I agree I mean lets be honest. If they didn't want mods there are plenty of structures that make it hard to. Plus theres the fact that its an indie game and (generally) if they don't want mods they only release it on steam and make a policy for no mods
marksteele

by Alblaka » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Minecraft doesn't have any official modding tools either, yet you rarely see any servers or players not using mods ^^ It's a core aspect of indie gaming.
Neglecting it, f.e. by officially "forbiding" mods or trying to encrypt the files is the way to annilate playerbases.
Greetz,
Alblaka
Alblaka

by icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:32 pm

I am not going to argue the morality or legality of what's going on here, I'm just saying it's questionable since there's no official tools OR word on the matter.

I'm not arguing for or against just saying be patient and see what happens.
icepick

Return to General Off Topic