[Modding] Ship Editor v0.45

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
CrazyMLC

[Modding] Ship Editor v0.45

Postby CrazyMLC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 am

I made a quick and dirty editor that can handle the txt files for each ship. There are still a couple problems, but it can do the job.

Download v0.45

Clicking and dragging with the left mouse button lets you move doors and rooms around.

Right-clicking allows you to change the properties of doors and rooms. If you select a room by clicking on it and right click somewhere else, you can change the room's size. Right-clicking on a door allows you to change the orientation.

Middle-clicking allows you to move the "camera" around and see the whole ship. You can hold it down to keep snapping the origin to the cursor's position.

Known bugs/feature suggestions:
Rooms and ship images aren't always perfectly aligned. The cause is unknown.
Selection of multiple objects.
XML support.

Changelog:

v0.45
Airlocks function properly.
Although it isn't clicking and dragging, you can now hold down the middle mouse button to move the project around continuously.

v0.41
Fixed a derp. There was a new line missing when saving a file.

v0.4
Initial release.
Last edited by CrazyMLC on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kieve

Re: [Modding] Ship Editor

Postby Kieve » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:39 am

Awesome!
Still seems to be a few kinks to work out, and I notice that "middle mouse" just snaps the camera to where you click, it doesn't actually drag. Regardless, it's great to see something like this out and available!

Suggestions:
1. A menu "sidebar" on the left or right that loads files for
  • ship_base.png
  • ship_floors.png
  • ship_gibs1-6 (though NPC ships seem to only have four)
  • ship shield
  • ship cloak
Being able to lay out the various ship parts visually would make editing a heck of a lot easier, I'm sure.
2. The ability to output to a GMM-compatible .zip or .ftl "package." This might be asking a bit much, but if you could simply hit an export button and have everything moved, packed, and sorted for you, it'd be the perfect tool.
...I can dream :roll:

Anyways, thank you for this! Simply marvelous.
CrazyMLC

Postby CrazyMLC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:54 am

Actually handling the gibs and ship cloaking, etc, would require reading the xml file for the ship as well. While that could be implemented, as of now it's simply outside of the scope of the program.
it could come in the future, especially if it's the solution to the misalignment bug, but I won't make any promises.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:58 am

Its a good start. Are you going to add an option to select a group of rooms to move all at once? Can't wait for you to add more features like basic load outs and possibly including the basic ship images so we can use them.
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
CrazyMLC

Re: [Modding] Ship Editor v0.45

Postby CrazyMLC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 am

Basic load outs and ship images can be found in the extracted .dat files. Including them with the program would increase the size dramatically.

Group selection will have to be put in there at some point. A clearer way to tell what's selected is needed as well.
SSk77

Postby SSk77 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:46 am

please, upload it to the new FTL modding forum!

http://ftlmods.forumeiro.com
Disc10

Postby Disc10 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Dude, you've been asked to stop spamming that around several times now. :/ If people wanna use it, they'll use it.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Yep, I'll join the others asking you stop spamming threads. I understand you're anxious to grow your own forum, but you will not achieve success by irritating other FTL users. Build content over there, give news in the thread you have opened about your forum, but do not come in every thread related to modding. Thanks.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm

This is awesome so far, but any word on the ability to add systems?
Arcalane

Postby Arcalane » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:39 pm

If you mean ship systems, that is handled in blueprints.xml - reading and editing that adds a lot of extra overhead since that file is so large. A little hand-editing isn't going to kill you.