Feature Request: Prevent AI from Jumping without Pilot

General discussion about the game.
csiebester

Feature Request: Prevent AI from Jumping without Pilot

Postby csiebester » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:29 pm

I have had a number of times where the AI was repairing their piloting or their guys are walking around but not at the piloting console and they are able to charge their FTL drive and jump anyway. Just now I had them jump away with two of my boarders on their bridge. I assure you they were too preoccupied to fly the ship. They should only get to charge and jump when their is a pilot using the controls.

On that note it would be nice if 1 person could pilot while another fights/repairs on the bridge.
5thHorseman

Re: Feature Request: Prevent AI from Jumping without Pilot

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:25 am

I have never ever seen this. In fact, it says "Jump delayed" or similar in the upper right when nobody's at the pilot chair.

One thing to note, if they're repairing the pilot room and it's orange (not red), the station is therefore functional and they can charge the engines.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
obliviondoll

Postby obliviondoll » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:04 pm

If you have a pilot alone on the helm fighting against 2 boarders, your ship's FTL charge still builds up, and your ship still gets a chance to evade enemy attacks (but you don't get the benefits of upgraded piloting skill). I know that with an upgraded helm, having no pilot lets you keep a portion of your evade chance, but I'm not sure if you also get FTL charge.

I'm pretty sure the same rules are applied to both your ships and the enemies' - if getting rid of the pilot doesn't stop the FTL charge, damage/break the helm.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:54 pm

The FTL drive will not charge without a pilot. Keep all the enemies out of the helm and the fleeing ship will not escape. Upgrading piloting only increases evasion.

It's so you can still escape despite the helm being repaired and so you can't just teleport into the helm and stop all escape. You gotta work for it - divert them out of there.
Ray Robertson

Postby Ray Robertson » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 am

Upgrading piloting does not increase evasion, it only gives half your evasion at level 2 and 80% at level 3 if you have no crewmember in the piloting room.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:12 am

Ray Robertson wrote:Upgrading piloting does not increase evasion, it only gives half your evasion at level 2 and 80% at level 3 if you have no crewmember in the piloting room.

It does not INTRINSICALLY increase your evasion, but it does keep your evasion from dropping to zero when a stray laser bolt smacks your cockpit, which EFFECTIVELY increases your evasion by a lot.

If you have 50% evasion, here is a chart of how much evasion you'll have with various upgrades to piloting, and various amounts of damage to the piloting.

Code: Select all

pilot 1     pilot 2     pilot 3
0 damage      50%         50%         50%
1 damage      0%          50%         50%
2 damage      0%          0           50%
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Piloting system is considered "operational" if there is a friendly crewmember in the room. If he's busy fighting/repairing, it only affects "system manned" evasion bonus.
When you have enemies in lvl1 cockpit, you still get 100% evasion from engines (just minus the "expert pilot" 10%) and jumpdrive still charges as usual.
So yes, boarding the cockpit doesn't stop FTL jump at all. If you want to prevent jump, board the shields. Pilot will often abandon station and rush to defend shield system.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!