FTL Multiplayer

General discussion about the game.
Blooperluigi

Re: FTL Multiplayer

Postby Blooperluigi » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Benjamin_Cook wrote:I think a nice gamemode would be a 3v3 battle, except with only two ships. One player (elected by his fellow teammates) will coordinate the battle with the two other players on his/her team actually dealing with the crew and what they're doing. The person in charge of the "mini-fleet" will have a split-screen view of his team's ships and system statuses, with his view of the enemy ships dependent on the sensor levels of the ships under his command. If team 1 ship A gets destroyed, team 1 ship B will have to fight BOTH enemy ships, one at a time. Perhaps as an added bonus, the enemy ship gets to fire one weapon at the survivor with triple the weapon charge time.

Yeah I like this idea, it gives it some tactical depth :) It seems like it would be a fun thing to do. I might try this after general release and play around with some ideas.
Developer of FTL:Multispace
Benjamin_Cook

Postby Benjamin_Cook » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Blooperluigi wrote:[...]I might try this after general release and play around with some ideas.

Only if you put my name in the credits! ;)

I think it would be fun, and you could team up with friends. Maybe a full competition where teams of three compete in divisions to be the ultimate minifleet?
Chalkblane

Postby Chalkblane » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:06 pm

I think an open planned explore with certain missions. A bit like DayZ but no zombies and in space! (Nothing like Dayz at all)
I think three teams would be good Federation,Rebels and Mercenarys just flying around completing quests and leveling up.
Also a party system would be cool so you can make a fleet
with friends.
A duel system would be cool too. Mabye different selections of Races to start from.
Thank you for creating a multiplayer as the game could really do with one!
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Thu May 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Chalkblane wrote:I think an open planned explore with certain missions. A bit like DayZ but no zombies and in space! (Nothing like Dayz at all)
I think three teams would be good Federation,Rebels and Mercenarys just flying around completing quests and leveling up.
Also a party system would be cool so you can make a fleet
with friends.
A duel system would be cool too. Mabye different selections of Races to start from.

If and/or when this becomes it's own game, these types of thing will be included ;)

Chalkblane wrote:Thank you for creating a multiplayer as the game could really do with one!

Thanks :) The support really helps too. It's not just me making this possible, it's also you guys
tempthomas

Postby tempthomas » Sun May 04, 2014 12:07 am

would this focus more on combat or include other elements (trading, piracy, mercernary)
ftl gives me the kick in combat but i really wish there was a freer mode outside the mission to save the federation.
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Sun May 04, 2014 9:07 am

tempthomas wrote:would this focus more on combat or include other elements (trading, piracy, mercernary)

I like the idea of it :)
tempthomas wrote: ftl gives me the kick in combat but i really wish there was a freer mode outside the mission to save the federation.

As I've said, this might turn into it's own game at some point. I'd like to have this feature too, but it will be a while if ever that this happens. I do agree with you though :)
Masaq

Postby Masaq » Mon May 19, 2014 9:40 am

I don't know if you've spoken to the devs but you might find it tricky to make your own game using someone else's intellectual property. Just a thought...

In terms of FTL multiplayer though, what would be far and away one of the best (and also most complicated to code and maintain) ways of managing for campaign mode would be through sector-matching the fights.

Each player is playing their own story-mode campaign, right up to the final boss, as they do in single-player.
Each time they jump into a system and the RNG calls a fight, the game checks against the live list of other players currently playing the campaign MP mode, and matches you against someone else who is about to start a fight within the same sector. You go head-to-head, each player with say three pauses available to them (that last up to 10 seconds max, to stop someone tapping space and sodding off mid-fight).

If you win, you get a scrap/reward outcome based on the value/systems on the other player's ship, and you can progress as usual.
If you lose, you're wiped out as usual and start your campaign over.

If a player quits/disconnects mid-fight, the AI would step in to control their ship.

The major difference to the player experience would be that a.) you'd be fighting a human, not AI and b.) the Last Stand would need revising - one way might be that when you beat the Flagship, you then get to play as the Flagship for someone else's Last Stand experience.

By only pitting players in the same sector against each other, you ensure there's some balance between the ships. It would also allow you to pause, quit and rejoin campaigns as you're not requiring two players to both have an hour free for a full co-cop campaign with each other; players can play any number of systems against other players and step out, then step back in later to continue playing and it doesn't matter - just the available pool of players will have changed.

It would be reliant on a master server to pair-match players for fights though.
tempthomas

Postby tempthomas » Wed May 21, 2014 12:18 pm

I like the idea of periodic pauses. But why not standardize the pauses?

One auto pause for ten seconds a minute. Trust me it's really easy to spam the pause button and I'd be against the three per player thing.

P.s. For kicks you could make a pause hacking easteregg. Send the hacking drone boldly where they have never home before.

Idk if auto pausing would work. Could work. But without pausing like in single player ftl ui would be big flaw in aiming beam weapons, it's already hard enough
Boomboofer

Postby Boomboofer » Wed May 21, 2014 7:17 pm

If you're actually going to make some kind of multiplayer for FTL, have my heartfelt thanks, for long have I waited for this day. I'd vigorously suggest making it in the spirit of XCOM: enemy unknown multiplayer. In other words, just make it possible to have a simple duel between two player ships. I think the duel mode should simply have all the equipment available, balanced by their prizes, somewhat differently than in the actual game (due to no rarity factor, for example BL2 should be more expensive) and both players would get a set amount of money to shop with (the amount would be choosable by the players). Also, the ships chosen out of the 25 should possibly start completely empty, without oxygen, without engines, without anything.

I'm pretty sure that that kind of game mode alone would open a plethora of variety and it could be built upon later. Also, I think this is something you can't go wrong with since it has been already proven to be a working concept (assuming the XCOM multiplayer works well, which I actually don't know).

What would take a large amount of work would be balancing all the weapons, drones, systems, crew, augments (and maybe ships?) by prize. I would imagine this could actually be done by keeping a record of all the battles (of beta-testers?) and what equipment the winning player had in each fight and using that information, but I don't know how hard that would be.

Also, for the pauses, wouldn't it work if both players simply had two buttons, one for pausing and one for unpausing and the time would only flow if both players were in unpaused state? I don't see why this wouldn't work, it would be a minor inconvenience though, having two buttons, but that would be negligible. Or maybe the same would work with one button? Good luck with your project!
Schpau

Postby Schpau » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Co-op mode:

When playing co-op (2-4 players), you and your teamates ships are placed side by side, and when you fight bad guys, they are as many as you are side by side, and if one of you have crew teleporter, you can teleport yourselves and your teammates onto your own ship, and onto other ships. There is no pause, because that would create chaos. You switch who is gonna chose where to go.

Sincerely,
Schpau