FTL Multiplayer

General discussion about the game.
CreeperKiller2000

Re: FTL Multiplayer

Postby CreeperKiller2000 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Blooperluigi wrote:I'm developing a multiplayer version of FTL and since this mod is being made for the players, it should have contributions from the players.
What kinds of things would you like to see in the mod?
What kinds of game modes?
New weapons?
New game mechanics?
Ranks?
Items?
Feel free to add anything :)

Goto:

http://ftlmultispace.blogspot.co.uk/ To see a more in-depth report of progress (very vague at the moment but I promise i'll keep it updated!)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22259 To see the official post for this mod.

Happy gaming!

For the ranking system, You should start with the Kestrel Cruiser Type A. As you rank up, you unlock new ships, starting crew, starting weapons, and systems. The Ranks would only unlock type A ships. Types B and C would have to be unlocked through challenges, like in the original game, but probably not the same ones. For example, in rank One, you could have the Kestrel Type A, Human Crew, burst laser 1, Artemis missile, and the 6 basic systems unlocked (Piloting, Engines, Sheilds, Weapons, sensors, and doors.) You might not make it that way, but it provides a good example.
CreeperKiller2000

Postby CreeperKiller2000 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Another game mode idea: Flagship fight. Two teams (The federation and the rebels) start with a flagship. There are 4-10 players on each team. The goal is to destroy the other faction's flagship first. Whoever does is the winner.

A variant I thought of for that is similar to Sector 8. Same as above, except each team also starts with a base, and that needs to be destroyed instead of the flagship. Only the flagship can destroy the bases. If both flagships are destroyed, then it turns into a deathmatch against all of the other ships.
CreeperKiller2000

Postby CreeperKiller2000 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:07 pm

kralosek wrote:Simultaneous fights. all players jump systems at the same time:

I just want to say this is a beautiful idea and hope you are still working on it!!

That being said, I think the core game mode should be simultaneous play, but when you jump between systems it almost becomes turn-based. So, everyone has to complete what they want to do in one system and everyone clicks "ready to jump" before anyone moves or waits. The team could keep a co-op fleet together for battles like the 5 on 5s that others described, but there could also be quests and reasons to split up to do simultaneous missions. This system would be both co-op- and pvp- friendly. The only flaw would be waiting time in "store" locations.

I'm not sure if mass battles should be 1 on 1 with the same text FTL has about "jump away before other ships show up!". If you (or the computer) decided not to jump away, only then would it become 2v1.The flavor text seems to read that each beacon point is huge, like a solar system. It would make sense for 5v5 battles to start spread out.

Another option would be to add some pilot control options:
- "close distance with a 2nd ship"
- "close distance with a friendly ship"
- "keep away from other ships"
- "try to disengage"
These would reduce your Evade Percentage. The flight path would become much more linear and so you would be an easier target. "close distance" would disengage from current target unless they're actively trying to stay with you.

Throw on some sensor readings for closest secondary target:
- "none in system"
- "in system" (would give you time to loot)
- "in sensor range" (would not give you time to fully loot. They could blow up your first kill if they turn their back to you)
- "in missiles range" (or lasers? drones? I don't know which one would be farthest reaching)
- "in full combat range!"
Your pilot control options would dictate distance from opponents.

-K.

PS: Best battle sequence I've ever seen in any movie, game, or otherwise: I'm fighting off a boarding party while taking heavy hull fire in a nebula. Finally destroy the enemy while venting o2 to take out some mantis in the cargo hold while I Kill off the last 2 boarders. trying desperately to repair while fires get worse and worse. All systems are red. watching O2 tick from 40 to 30% while fires rage in every room. One crew rounds a corner to see the last boarder emptying his laser cannon into my shield generator. He's at full health. I don't have one guy over 20% health. Medbay is down, door system is down, sensors are all scrambled, and i can't get control of the fires anywhere (except in the shield room). I finally get O2 back online which lets me get medbay online. The dude's destroyed shields and moved on to toast the engines. I finally mount an offensive and take him down. Somehow I didn't lose a single guy in that fight.

TL/DR: simultaneous fights. all players jump systems at the same time.

That is actually a good idea
CreeperKiller2000

Postby CreeperKiller2000 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 pm

I have another idea: Fleet commander. Each Team (Rebel and Federation) starts with a base. There, you could make ships and order them around the sector. A few beacons you can capture to build things like ASBs, Repair facilities, Hangars, Trade station, Guard station, etc. You can only have one ship at a beacon at a time. You can't move a friendly ship to a place another friendly ship is occupying. If you move to a beacon with an enemy ship, each player takes control of the ships and fights each other. Whoever loses the battle loses their ship. Ships could also be upgradeable(?) You can get more and more scrap to build and upgrade ships and structures. Each type of ship has their own layout and crew. You could even go as far as making the flagship. You have to destroy their base and capture the other beacons and destroy all enemy ships to win.

What do you think?
salandit

Postby salandit » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:44 pm

sorry buddy, but this topic is already dead.
CreeperKiller2000

Postby CreeperKiller2000 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:54 pm

salandit wrote:sorry buddy, but this topic is already dead.

Wait, It's out?
I_am_person

Postby I_am_person » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:04 am

There is this thing, this truly sad thing that happens when people either
1. Lose interest
2. Lose time
or 3. Stop caring

This idea, or its creator's will, is dead, although I applaud your efforts and ideas.

EDIT: Also, he was apparently sick, two years ago. Check the dates when things were posted, please, I doubt one man would have the will to make a game for two years without reward.
Injustice Rains From Above!
FrozenPhoton

Postby FrozenPhoton » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:48 pm

It really is sad that this project died... I wish they would at least release the code that was done so far! I would love having a multiplayer mod so very very much, and I know a lot of people who would enjoy it as well.