Forum restrictions for new users!

General discussion about the game.
stylesrj

Re: Forum restrictions for new users!

Postby stylesrj » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:19 am

There has to be a better way of stopping those spambots rather than waiting for a mod to delete every single post. It gets really annoying to come to the forums and see a page full of green links to spam (and the forum remaining green after you visit the non-spam topics).
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:21 am

stylesrj wrote:There has to be a better way of stopping those spambots rather than waiting for a mod to delete every single post. It gets really annoying to come to the forums and see a page full of green links to spam (and the forum remaining green after you visit the non-spam topics).

Cheers to that. Before the forum update, we had filters in place that would net these suckers before they ever saw the light of day. I'm not sure what's broken there, but I'll shoot Matt and Isla an email and see if we can't get it functional again. This is getting insane.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:41 am

We're working on it. Sorry about the mess!
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:35 am

So for some reason, I went to post a ship mod and it told me it needed moderator approval before it would be shown.

So what did I do wrong that flagged it up as something for review?
isla

Postby isla » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:33 pm

You're fine. The automoderator/anti-spam coutnermeasures can be a bit overzealous and flag things as false-positives sometimes, but that just appears in the mod queue as something needing moderator approval (it's not auto-deleted or anything). If you're an actual person and you post like an actual person you'll be alright.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:13 am

Jay Auto wrote:Okay, I am new here, just reading these rules for posting. Do I have to remove my signature? How do you differentiate spammers from "real" users? Kinda confused right now, I wouldn`t want my profile to get blocked or something because of spammers. Is signature a spam? Why allow signatures then? :? :? :?

Are you for real?
If it's named like a spambot, has ads in it's signature like a spambot and has no idea why that looks suspiciously like a spambot, chances are you're a spambot.

Now if you're not a spambot and just happen to want to advertise your auto repairs while enjoying FTL, then welcome to the forums and I might recommend you remove your signature to avoid misunderstandings. Signatures exist to show the forum community what projects you're working on and funny quotes.
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:34 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Jay Auto wrote:Okay, I am new here, just reading these rules for posting. Do I have to remove my signature? How do you differentiate spammers from "real" users? Kinda confused right now, I wouldn`t want my profile to get blocked or something because of spammers. Is signature a spam? Why allow signatures then? :? :? :?

Are you for real?
If it's named like a spambot, has ads in it's signature like a spambot and has no idea why that looks suspiciously like a spambot, chances are you're a spambot.

Now if you're not a spambot and just happen to want to advertise your auto repairs while enjoying FTL, then welcome to the forums and I might recommend you remove your signature to avoid misunderstandings. Signatures exist to show the forum community what projects you're working on and funny quotes.

The bolded part especially. :lol:
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:02 am

So what exactly is it in a post that triggers the system to withhold a topic or response until a moderator approves of it?

Because I tried posting a ship mod I made yesterday and it told me that it needs moderator approval. It also did the same for my last one.
So did I accidentally type something that goes "Probably a spambot" and cause it to be held for approval?

Because I'm sick of tripping up those false-positives. The bots certainly know what they are because they keep getting through, peddling the exact same crap that the system doesn't block.
isla

Postby isla » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:20 pm

I think that last one was because it was a Saint's Row inspired ship, and the spam filter may have thought it was trying to advertise an illegal download site. If it happens again, please always feel free to DM me so I get a heads up right away.
hypnos97

Postby hypnos97 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:11 am

Great that this has been done, people who post those bot's have to respect