Steam Achievements (PC version)

General discussion about the game.
Warbird

Re: Steam Achievements (PC version)

Postby Warbird » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm

So are we for or against achievements unlocking stuff? TF2 did it pretty well, but that only really served as a sure fire way to receive some weapons back during the more chaotic early days of the random drop system. I'm curious as to what they could or would unlock if the devs chose to go that way. Maybe some vanity skins or ships?

stuntaneous wrote: -Edited for space-

I'll say no more on this so as not to drive the thread off topic, but calling out an admin is rarely a good way to make friends. Just post a bit more until you get PM permissions and then take it up with him. That or make a separate thread. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:44 pm

At first I was all for it but now im leaning more toward the idea of making the unlocks non critical game content. New ships, skins, possibly new crew members/ game events seem fine though,
Mczosn

Postby Mczosn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:36 pm

I wouldn't mind unlocks from achievements, it is a roguelike afterall, so there will be lotsa dying and starting a new!
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:31 am

Personally I hope the achivements arent to outlandish or hard. The hijinks and goals in doublefine's "stacked" were nicely done imo. Could perhaps be a little bit harder but I'd rather be without the really amazingly cool longshots that is too hard to hunt. Those that you just need to lt happen, and they happen 1 in a thousand.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:02 am

Gorlom wrote:Personally I hope the achivements arent to outlandish or hard. The hijinks and goals in doublefine's "stacked" were nicely done imo. Could perhaps be a little bit harder but I'd rather be without the really amazingly cool longshots that is too hard to hunt. Those that you just need to lt happen, and they happen 1 in a thousand.

Is that because you like to be able to finish them all and hate having the one or two locked that seem impossible, or some other reason? I just ask because I kinda like having some that could only happen if all the stars align. I put like 300 hours in TF2 in the past 5 years and I still get an achievement every once in a while because of a very odd situation. A few days ago I got the one for healing someone that is falling and who would have died when they hit the ground.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:10 am

Justin wrote:Is that because you like to be able to finish them all and hate having the one or two locked that seem impossible, or some other reason? I just ask because I kinda like having some that could only happen if all the stars align. I put like 300 hours in TF2 in the past 5 years and I still get an achievement every once in a while because of a very odd situation. A few days ago I got the one for healing someone that is falling and who would have died when they hit the ground.

I personally enjoy ones along the lines of "Spymaster" and "Pyromancer". Career achievements that warrant bragging rights.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:31 am

Justin wrote:
Gorlom wrote:Personally I hope the achivements arent to outlandish or hard. The hijinks and goals in doublefine's "stacked" were nicely done imo. Could perhaps be a little bit harder but I'd rather be without the really amazingly cool longshots that is too hard to hunt. Those that you just need to lt happen, and they happen 1 in a thousand.

Is that because you like to be able to finish them all and hate having the one or two locked that seem impossible, or some other reason? I just ask because I kinda like having some that could only happen if all the stars align. I put like 300 hours in TF2 in the past 5 years and I still get an achievement every once in a while because of a very odd situation. A few days ago I got the one for healing someone that is falling and who would have died when they hit the ground.

I'm a completionist and I want to be able to get them all =P I got the overachiver (every achivement available in the beta) on the Diablo 3 stresstest betaweekend for example. That should tell you all you need to know.
karnisov

Postby karnisov » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm

any idea when achievements will be supported on steam? i'd like something visible for this effort i'm investing to unlock all the ships :P