Steam Achievements (PC version)

General discussion about the game.
Freyar

Re: Steam Achievements (PC version)

Postby Freyar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:14 am

stuntaneous wrote:Achievements? Show you're making games for the right reasons and don't let us see such crap on release.

Achievements are kind of a no-brainer these days. Even if they're small things, I expect some to show up. Even Legend of Grimrock has them.
Cirno

Postby Cirno » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:30 am

I don't get all the hate for achievements. If you like them, great. If you don't, then ignore them. Where is all this nerd rage coming from?
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 am

Reading this thread just confirms what I have already known you either love or hate achievements within games, for me I do like them alot, as long as they are done correctly, I think that they can help with game last longer for users :)

Stelly
Qhesz

Postby Qhesz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:14 pm

I think one reason steam achievements are viewed with some hostility is that they are seen as entirely external to the game. They can feel as if they were just tacked on to a finished game, and created for dubious purposes other than improving the actual game experience for the player.

But it is clear that not everyone sees them like this. Obviously, some people appreciate the way achievements (when done well) can guide them to go back and explore parts of the game that they haven't done so before.
I'd argue that there are other ways to encourage people to explore the game and what is possible, other ways to show the player all the cool things you can do, that completely avoid the negatives of steam achievements.

Cirno wrote:I don't get all the hate for achievements. If you like them, great. If you don't, then ignore them. Where is all this nerd rage coming from?

While some of the hate for achievements here has been over the top and not very well justified (it's the internet, that's what you get), I can understand if people are annoyed that precious developer time is being spent on something that, to them, doesn't add anything to the game, and is only going to be appreciated by steam-using players who like achievements.

In the end, how steam achievements are handled won't affect me, 'cause I'll be getting my DRM-free version of FTL when it comes out. :D
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Im all for it. I happen to enjoy properly placed achievements.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Here's a few examples I was thinking about, though this all based on my experience with the OnLive demo and the videos posted by the FTL devs that was available.

Upgrades? I don't need no stinkin' upgrades!
Get to level X without using any of your scrap.

Dhese Defense Drones Don't Do D'anything!
Destroy an enemy ship using a defense drone by only using missile weaponry.

The best defense is a good set of engines!
Warp out of a fight within X seconds of your shields system becoming disabled.

Astronomically painful odds
With engine upgrades completely maxed out, fail to evade X shots in a row.

Death by beacon overdose
Die within X seconds of arriving at a new beacon.

I'm coming in for my Pacifism run!
Get through X levels without firing any weapons.

Could have timed that better...
Fire a weapon and have it blocked by one of your defense drones. (Yes, this has happened to me a few times. Argh!)

Get it off me! GET IT OFF ME!
"Successfully" shoot down an enemy drone down using your ship weapons. Yeah, you totally meant to do that...

Distress Beacon turn on!
Turn on your distress beacon for the first time.

Altruism has no space in space!
Leave your distress beacon on for at least X turns without getting any help.

Rebellion Fuel Efficiency
Have the rebels catch up to you while you are out of fuel and successfully grab some extra fuel from a Rebel ship.

Half of zero is still zero
Enter a nebula's electrical storm (the effect that cuts your power output in half) with no new power slot upgrades.

The United Federation of Kestral
Have a crew with X differing races.

Victory through Asphyxiation
Starve an enemy ship's crew of oxygen.

Close the pod bay doors, HAL!
Lose control of the door subsystem while one of your external bay doors are open.

Execute repair pattern Montgomery/LaForge!
Have all your crew members simultaneously repairing a subsystem, with no more than one crew member per subsystem.

Cloaking in this game doesn't make sense!!!
Lose X minutes of weapon charging time due to the enemy ship using its cloaking device.

This isn't the Kestrel you are looking for...
Cloak while fighting attempting to flee from the rebel fleet.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 am

I'd love to see some Dredmore influences in the game; that dev team has a fun sense of humor.

I'd prefer the game to take on more of a "Losing is Fun" mentality al-la Dorf Fortress.

Whoopsie
Flush your entire crew out of the airlock

Blaze of Glory
Ram and destroy both yourself and the opposing ship

D'oh!
Die on your first jump

How did you manage to do that?

Run out of fuel in the first system

You're really bad at this
Miss at least 5 shost in a row

What does this button do?
Self Destruct

Wilhelm
Trigger the scream

I swear to God if they don't include the last two in some form or the other....
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 am

Darthcaboose wrote:Dhese Defense Drones Don't Do D'anything!
Destroy an enemy ship using a defense drone by only using missile weaponry.

Astronomically painful odds
With engine upgrades completely maxed out, fail to evade X shots in a row.

Could have timed that better...
Fire a weapon and have it blocked by one of your defense drones. (Yes, this has happened to me a few times. Argh!)

Cloaking in this game doesn't make sense!!!
Lose X minutes of weapon charging time due to the enemy ship using its cloaking device.

LOL. We haven't got to the point where we're working on achievements, but some of your guy's suggestions are freaking awesome. "Cloaking in this game doesn't make sense!!!" :lol:
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Cirno

Postby Cirno » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:31 am

Qhesz wrote:
Cirno wrote:I don't get all the hate for achievements. If you like them, great. If you don't, then ignore them. Where is all this nerd rage coming from?

While some of the hate for achievements here has been over the top and not very well justified (it's the internet, that's what you get), I can understand if people are annoyed that precious developer time is being spent on something that, to them, doesn't add anything to the game, and is only going to be appreciated by steam-using players who like achievements.

It's not like it takes a week to add an achievement. It's as easy as:

//Destroyed 500 enemy ships achievement
If EnemyShipDestroyed = True Then NumberofEnemyShipsDestroyed=+1
End If

If NumberofEnemyShipsDestroyed = >=500 Then Call Give500EnemyShipsDestroyedAchievement
End If
// End of code

Honestly, I think achievement rage is just another symptom of people getting upset because they are frightened by change. Hate comes from fear. Fear comes from not understanding.
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 am

No, I understand, I just make no use of them and sometimes they are a hindrance. Its not hate, its ambivalence - the only time I notice a game's achievements is when they pop up and in the noticing it may be interrupting a gaming moment that already has my attention. Tell me, do you "hate" it when visiting a web site if it has adverts pop up? I could care less, I just simply don't visit a web site if their adverts become a hassle for instance and when it comes cheevos, if the cheevos make a game less enjoyable to play, I am less likely to play it, that is all.

So, I wonder why even bother from my perspective. Sometimes the humour is appreciated though, especially when cheevos are in the "dying is fun" line of entertainment. :)