Steam Achievements (PC version)

General discussion about the game.
Stelly

Steam Achievements (PC version)

Postby Stelly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Hey,

I would like to see alot of steam achievements, personally I go back to a game to get achievements, its a great way of making the game last longer, also can you make less generic ones, for example, there are alot of large game devs that just say "Complete Level One" and "Complete Level Two" I would like achievements that make me think "Awesome I would love to see that happen"...

Stelly
Chief

Re: Steam Achievements (PC version)

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 pm

I think a good game to look at in terms of Achievements is Dungeons of Dredmor. Now I'm not saying that FTL's achievements need to be silly, but DoD certainly shows how to vary your achievements in a roguelike game.

Once the beta starts, we can probably start suggesting achievements and help stay away from the grind-y (kill 1000 pirate ships) and plain (complete level 2) ones.
Onyx:
Case|Thermaltake L10GT=|=GPU|eVGA GeForce GTX680=|=CPU|Intel I5 2400 3.1G=|=PSU|RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R=|=MB|MSI P67A-G45 (B3)=|=SDD|Crucial C300 128 GB (1.25 TB HDD)=|=RAM|Corsair 16 GB DDR3=|=LCS|Black Ice GT 240|EK-FC680|Koolance RP-1005BK
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:49 pm

I totally agree and Dungeon Defenders is probably another good one to look at as well :)

Stelly
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:28 pm

I am the opposite, I couldn't care less about cheevos unless they have the unfortunate side effect of being necessary for a unlock, then they just seem like an arbitrary hindrance/prerequisite to player driven choice. So for me, cheevos are best done when they are more just a acknowledgement of some note worthy moment in the gameplay the developer anticipated that doesn't pop up during the game drawing my attention away from the setting. I'd rather just make my own notes, probably attached a screen shot or video of things that made go "Wow!" that I wanted to share with others.
AJTilley

Postby AJTilley » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 am

I dont care about achievements either.

Except for occasionally when a full moon rises over a bloody red sky... Every now and then I get in achievement mode and try and unlock a games achievements... Generally though I dont think them that important but they might be a nice fun boost to the game if they are just for fun and not required to unlock in game stuff.
Bomfy

Postby Bomfy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 am

I tend to be ambivalent towards achievements. I fail to see how they add replay value myself. If a game isn't good enough to play again on its own merits, it's not worth playing through again to do ________. Now achievements for doing something kind of silly, strange, awesome, or shouldn't have worked but it did are the ones I like and occasionally go after.

They just aren't something that gets my juices flowing like it does for a lot of people. I'm not against them, but just hope a ton of resources don't go into them.
Freyar

Postby Freyar » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Just.. alternate methods of dealing with things is the kind of achievements that get me interested. Gentle nudges to try something "not normal".
OrangeBottle

Postby OrangeBottle » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:51 pm

http://tinyurl.com/72yzun9 <Totally relevant.

Also, stuff like,"Drain an enemy ship of air without destroying it" would be challenging/cool.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Freyar wrote:Just.. alternate methods of dealing with things is the kind of achievements that get me interested. Gentle nudges to try something "not normal".

Yes totally agree things that you would never normally think about doing, which would prolong the game :D

Stell
stuntaneous

Postby stuntaneous » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Achievements? Show you're making games for the right reasons and don't let us see such crap on release.