Engi A on Hard, default weapons

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
Wyatan

Engi A on Hard, default weapons

Postby Wyatan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Nothing extraordinary for the veterans out here, but people on the Steam forums doubted that the Torus's initial setup was enough to defeat the Flagship, let alone on Hard mode.

While it's definitely doable in theory (Ion Blast II can deactivate any amount of shields, and then the combat drone does the rest), I just had to prove it in practice:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25whf ... videogames
Boomboofer

Re: Engi A on Hard, default weapons

Postby Boomboofer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:42 pm

As a vet, I think that was extraordinary! Well done, that looked really hard and you needed very specific equipment. The flagship doesn't have a defense II drone though, it's a defense I which doesn't shoot your ion shots.
Wyatan

Postby Wyatan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Boomboofer wrote:The flagship doesn't have a defense II drone though, it's a defense I which doesn't shoot your ion shots.

People have mentioned it to me too on Steam.
I stand corrected. :)

I've found the source of my mistake, it's remembering the ftl wiki.
Still, I should have checked it for myself.

Means the Defense Scrambler augment is actually of little to no help for the Flagship fight (depending on your personal stance regarding the depowering trick to get the hacking drone through).
Can be invaluable getting there, though, if you encounter a lot of ships with defense II drone or anti-combat drones (wasn't the case for this run, as I believe I met only two such ships, which was on the lucky side; while on my first attempt I had to jump away from quite a few fights).
Melkieyunz

Postby Melkieyunz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:16 am

Which is the better weapon for a base rat like me? I generally don't take my engineer out to open field fights unless I'm rolling a tank, and if I lose it I generally resort to either the nearest building skirmish or break out the AV turret.