New Ships 'Steam Fin' and 'Nano Scale'

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DCChuckles

New Ships 'Steam Fin' and 'Nano Scale'

Postby DCChuckles » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:50 pm

Here's a couple of pictures of a new ship I'm planning to create :) The blue one is the variant, Nano Scale. I have a couple of ideas for weapons/crew and stuff, but feedback on rooms, systems and weapons is vital since I don't want this mod to suffer because I thought something was absolutely fantastic and everyone else hated it. I would like to work on this more, but ftldat is failing to unpack the .dat folders for one of the PCs I use. So this taking a long time is due to only working on it three days a week.

Ideas for crew:
Steam Fin: 1 human, 1 Engi, 1 mantis
Nano Scale: 1 rock, 2 Engi

I may update the sprites with better shading in the future, but I'm not too good with that kind of thing :/ Although I am working on it, as well as the gibs.

I'm also adding a new weapon or two, which should hopefully work fine :)

EDIT: I'm sorry to say that I'm not working on this anymore :( I have a metric tonne more stuff to do, and there's a bunch of stuff wrong with my computer, and a load of other problems. If anyone wants to make this ship, go ahead, but don't bother giving credit. It's not like I did much anyway :roll:

Last edited by DCChuckles on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Kieve

Re: New Ships 'Vessel' and 'Bastion'

Postby Kieve » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Can't even right-click them, they just show up as "Image" (raw text) and don't load.
Mediafire is good for uploading mods and other files to, but for images I'd recommend an actual image-host like photobucket.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Really? Hmm, it works fine for me. I'll take your advice though.
Macil2018

Postby Macil2018 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Doesn't work for me either.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Think it works now.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Ah, someone found the old Rebel ship concepts I see! I was wondering when those would make an appearance.
Combining the Rigger prototype with the auto-scout... and damn, it works! :shock: I like 'em! The design actually meshes up pretty well.
I'd strongly suggest going back over the Rebel parts and painting those gray lines black, so it looks more like a single ship instead of two stuck together. Detail-work in the shading would help too, particularly where the front bridge sections seem to sit up higher - seems like it'd cast a shadow down the back side a bit more.
Color-wise, I like the blue one better, but might recommend less... 'neon' colors for the stripes, on both. Complimentary colors are your friend for things like that.
So for the blue, something in an orange-ish hue would work well, for the brown one something between teal and violet (but not as oversaturated and bright).

Still, it looks like you're on to something here. Can't wait to see what you do with 'em.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:40 pm

It wasn't the auto-scout, I spent about an hour cutting out part of the large mantis ship, which was kinda a waste of time. Thanks for the colour tips though, and there's a reason why it looks so much like two ships stuck together. It's supposed to be one of the first ships with an FTL engine, and parts of the ship were used for early prototypes of future ships. Anyway, I'm off to Paint.NET :)
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Updated the images :) Check them out up there ^
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Definitely an improvement! Blue one's still my favorite.
And yeah, now that you've told me I can see where the Mantis design fits in. The cockpit threw me off, it looks almost the same as a droneship.
One final suggestion I might make, beyond cleaning up the shading, is to sneak the corners of the mantis flanges (those little trailing bits with the rivets) back underneath the rebel pylons. You see how the edge overlaps at that purple stripe, and a bit further forward? Erasing those corners and putting them "under" the side pylons should help make the ship look a little more complete.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:56 pm

More good ideas :) To Paint.NET again!